tape drive: Error with sense data

Post by Mr. Murphy Won » Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:42:14

I have just installed a Fedora Core2 with a DDS4 tape drive attached to
it.   It seems okay from the os:

# mt status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
  DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

However, when I dump the file system with
# dump -0u -f /dev/st0 /
I receive error:
/dev/st0: Input/output error

When I check with the message log,, I find the following error:

kernel: st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.
kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current st0: sense key Medium Error
kernel: st0: Error 10000 (sugg. bt 0x0, driver bt 0x0, host bt 0x1).
kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x14, Current st0: sense
key Medium Error
kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current st0: sense key Aborted Command
kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current st0: sense key Not Ready
kernel: st0: Error on write filemark.

I tried the followings but still getting the same error:
1) rebooting with an upper version OS (2.6.5-1.358smp and I'm running
2.6.8);
2) replace with another DDS4 drive;
3) remove the /dev/st0 and mknod a new device;

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
   Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: Python 06408-XXX Rev: 8130
   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID RAID5   Rev: V1.0
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

# modprobe -l | grep aic
/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx_old.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx.ko

I'm quite sure that the tape drive is functioning.  What can I try to
trouble shoot the problem?  Any ideas?  Many thanks.

Regards,
Murphy

Post by Jule » Sat, 09 Oct 2004 21:36:38

> I have just installed a Fedora Core2 with a DDS4 tape drive attached to
> it.   It seems okay from the os:

hmm, interesting. I can't offer any help (other than to say check cabling
& termination), but I've got the same problem with a pair of DDS2
drives against a 2.6 kernel. (do check that the door open message goes
away when you put a tape in though! :-)

In my case that's with an Adaptec 2940UW board. Termination and cabling's
OK (also tested with a narrow hard drive on the same bus just to see if I
could throw up any indication of a problem)

Both tape drives *were* working; one I used recently with a 2.4 kernel.
Maybe there's a problem with SCSI tape support in 2.6?

What happens if you try and write to a tape? I see tar list a few
files, then it just sits there for a while before returning an I/O error;
I assume it's just filling up an internal buffer and not actually writing
to the tape at all.

Of course DAT drives do seem *very* prone to failure. I've run a cleaning
tape through both of mine just in case, but no luck.

cheers

Jules

Post by Jule » Sat, 09 Oct 2004 21:50:48

> & termination), but I've got the same problem with a pair of DDS2
> drives against a 2.6 kernel.

duh - I meant 2.4.26, getting my versions mixed up today :-) I'm not sure
what 2.4.x kernel I had running when this worked, unfortunately.

cheers,

Jules

tape drive: Error with sense data

Post by Dave » Sun, 10 Oct 2004 03:40:02

Quote:> # mt status
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
> Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (50000):
>   DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

Probably a stupid question, but is there a tape in the drive?

Your output above indicates not. "DR_OPEN" = door open, i.e. no media found.

You should see something like:

BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

which would indicate:

BOT  = beginning of tape
ONLINE = the drive is online
IM_REP_EN = immediate report mode

Post by JunkYard » Sun, 10 Oct 2004 04:49:01

>> I have just installed a Fedora Core2 with a DDS4 tape drive attached to
>> it.   It seems okay from the os:

> hmm, interesting. I can't offer any help (other than to say check cabling
> & termination), but I've got the same problem with a pair of DDS2
> drives against a 2.6 kernel. (do check that the door open message goes
> away when you put a tape in though! :-)

> In my case that's with an Adaptec 2940UW board. Termination and cabling's
> OK (also tested with a narrow hard drive on the same bus just to see if I
> could throw up any indication of a problem)

> Both tape drives *were* working; one I used recently with a 2.4 kernel.
> Maybe there's a problem with SCSI tape support in 2.6?

> What happens if you try and write to a tape? I see tar list a few
> files, then it just sits there for a while before returning an I/O error;
> I assume it's just filling up an internal buffer and not actually writing
> to the tape at all.

> Of course DAT drives do seem *very* prone to failure. I've run a cleaning
> tape through both of mine just in case, but no luck.

> cheers

> Jules

Could it be something simple like dirty tape r/w heads?  I had this
problem on a Travan drive just recently but on Windows 2000.  The program
would not write to the tape until I cleaned the heads.  Cleaning tapes are
not that cheap for small budget operations.

How long have you had the drive? I don't know that much about the type of
drive you have but could the tape have stretched through use and caused
the media to be unwritable.  I know this happened a lot on 8mm drives.

HTH

Ciao

Post by Jule » Sun, 10 Oct 2004 06:59:21

> Could it be something simple like dirty tape r/w heads?  I had this
> problem on a Travan drive just recently but on Windows 2000.  The program
> would not write to the tape until I cleaned the heads.  Cleaning tapes are
> not that cheap for small budget operations.

In my case it's possible I suppose - but I've run a cleaning tape through
each drive about 5 times without any improvement. I've actually got a
stockpile of about fif* cleaning tapes, knowing that they can be
expensive to get hold of when you really need them :-)

Quote:> How long have you had the drive? I don't know that much about the type
> of drive you have but could the tape have stretched through use and
> caused the media to be unwritable.  I know this happened a lot on 8mm
> drives.

Hmm... is 4mm DAT prone to stretching? I did only try a couple of old
tapes; I'll give it another go with a few different ones just to be sure.

I do suspect something on the drive or tape side of things - given the
tests I did with a narrow hard disk on the same bus, I'm pretty sure the
SCSI bus and at least the low-level SCSI drivers are OK. I'm really
starting to hate DAT though if that's another couple of drives that have
failed!

cheers

Jules

tape drive: Error with sense data

Post by Michael Buchenriede » Sat, 09 Oct 2004 20:58:41

[cold.system removed, non-existant group col.help removed]
[FollowUp-To: header set to col.misc]

[...]

Quote:>When I check with the message log,, I find the following error:
>kernel: st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.
>kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current st0: sense key Medium Error

[...]

Quote:>I'm quite sure that the tape drive is functioning.  What can I try to
>trouble shoot the problem?  Any ideas?  Many thanks.

[...]

Why didn't you simply change the tape? "Sense key medium error"
is indicating that the tape itself is damaged. That should have been
your first target.

Michael

Post by Mr. Murphy Won » Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:55:04

>># mt status
>>SCSI 2 tape drive:
>>File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
>>Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
>>Soft error count since last status=0
>>General status bits on (50000):
>>  DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

> Probably a stupid question, but is there a tape in the drive?

> Your output above indicates not. "DR_OPEN" = door open, i.e. no media found.

Ya.  I know.  Because I mt when I removed the tape.  If I mt after the
dumr, then the message will become "/dev/st0: Input/output error".
Also, I tried cleaning but it doesn't help.

I thinking of installing Fedora to another SCSI controller to identify
the problem....

My guess is, there are 4 possible causes:
1) tap drive (should not be the case);
2) SCSI error (don't know yet but the green light is on at the SCSI
terminator);
3) driver error (but the mt command still works, seem like the blocking
factor, density problem of the tape but I tried rebuilding the /dev/st0
without any improvement);
4) Fedora Core2 kernel error.

Any other suggetions?  I see quite a lot of people having the same
problem in the news group...

Quote:> You should see something like:

> BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

> which would indicate:

> BOT  = beginning of tape
> ONLINE = the drive is online
> IM_REP_EN = immediate report mode

tape drive: Error with sense data

Post by Jean-David Beye » Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:37:50

Mr. Murphy Wong wrote (in part):

Quote:

> My guess is, there are 4 possible causes:
> 1) tap drive (should not be the case);
> 2) SCSI error (don't know yet but the green light is on at the SCSI
> terminator);
> 3) driver error (but the mt command still works, seem like the blocking
> factor, density problem of the tape but I tried rebuilding the /dev/st0
> without any improvement);
> 4) Fedora Core2 kernel error.

> Any other suggetions?  I see quite a lot of people having the same
> problem in the news group...

I have two SCSI tape trives, one on each of two computers. One is about
three years old and gets problems only when a tape gets about three years
old (running two passes or so per week), or when I put an incompatible
tape in the drive (A VXA-2 tape in a VXA-1 drive: the tapes are the same,
but a VXA-1 drive cannot read a tape formatted for VXA-2, and knows it,
and turns on error lights).

The other drive started its useful life in about May 2004 and has never
had a problem as you describe.

If you get the Door Open problem solved (possibly a defective microswitch,
or the link between the door and the microswitch), it may be you are
putting a bad tape in. Try putting a factory fresh tape in.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.

1. tape drive causes "Error with sense data" messages in syslog

I've seen this issue mentioned again and again in this and other
newsgroups, but have yet to come across any conclusions or success
stories.

I've got a Seagate STT20000A ATAPI tape drive installed in a RedHat
Linux 7.3 system. Whenever I access the drive (e.g., with mt or tar),
the following messages appear in the syslog:

Jul  9 10:27:25 europa kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current
st09:00: sense key Illegal Request
Jul  9 10:27:25 europa kernel: Additional sense indicates Invalid
command operation code

But, the drive actually seems to work. I can read and write data to it
with tar. I can successfully perform operations with "mt", such as
getting its status:

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x47 (TR-5).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Even Seagate's own diagnostic utility reports no problems with the
drive:

Checking System Configuration.
Tue Jul  9 10:43:46 2002
ATAPI/IDE Logical Drive Id: 0
Seagate STT20000A, Firmware: 8A51
Issued Cmd: Test Read-Write.
Issued Cmd: Test Unit Ready.
Issued Cmd: Load Tape.
Issued Cmd: Write 200 MB to tape.
Write Command Complete.
Issued Cmd: Write File Marks.
Issued Cmd: Rewind Tape.
Issued Cmd: Read and Compare 200 MB of data from tape.
Test completed successfully.
Issued Final Cmd: Rewind Tape.

So, should I just ignore those syslog messages, or do they indicate
that something needs to be tweaked somewhere? I've seen many people
run into this same error, but except for a few people who've replaced
their Seagate devices with something else, I haven't come across any
posts that say how people are dealing with these error messages.

Thanks in advance,

-j

2. Linux character array problem...

3. Deciphering IBM/AIX SCSI Sense data to ANSI SCSI Sense data

4. Latest stable kernel release?

5. SCSI error msg - st0: Error with sense data

6. Can this script be tightened ("simplified") ?

7. "Request sense couldn't get sense data" -- huh?

8. Plug & Play (Pray) Modem

9. SCSI tape: extra sense data?

10. SCSI Tape sense data

11. CD-ROM drive - bad sense data?!

12. st0: Error with sense data

13. HP Colorado T4000:"Error with sense data"