Modem doesn't recognise dialtone?

Post by rchurche » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 08:58:41

[While proven not to be a problem isolated to linux, I felt the crosspost
was appropriate. Please remove it from followups if you disagree.]

I have an external 56k modem for use with Linux, as the internal winmodem in
my laptop is useless for the purpose. I bought the modem (Rockwell chipset)
in Australia, where it works without a hitch. However, I'm presently in New
Zealand, and while the internal modem continues to work under Windows, the
external one has exhibited a problem under either OS.

Communication laptop to modem seems fine, init strings and diagnostics all
ok. When I ask it to dial a connection, I hear a dialtone which does not
cease after the modem starts dialling - the tones are heard superimposed
over the top of the dialtone. After a few tries, the modem returns a BUSY.
I've also tried this instructing the modem not to wait for a dial tone, with
no difference in the result.

I don't know enough about modems to continue diagnosing the problem. Am I
dealing with a difference between Australian / New Zealand exchanges? In
which case, I would have expected the internal modem to have trouble too,
but it connects fine. It's not a pulse-only exchange, or anything like that.
So is my external modem useless here?

--
Cheers,
Rich.

Modem doesn't recognise dialtone?

Post by Cono » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 08:12:21

Quote:> I don't know enough about modems to continue diagnosing the problem. Am I
> dealing with a difference between Australian / New Zealand exchanges?

Possibly. Some countries use different dialtones and you have to set
the country code to the one you are in. For example my HSF modem driver
always defaults to U.S and unless I change it to UK it doesn't detect a
dialtone.

In Windows its in Control Panel,. Modems..select modem, Properties,
Country.

--
_________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
_________________________

Post by rchurche » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 11:55:56

> > I don't know enough about modems to continue diagnosing the problem. Am
> > dealing with a difference between Australian / New Zealand exchanges?

> Possibly. Some countries use different dialtones and you have to set
> the country code to the one you are in. For example my HSF modem driver
> always defaults to U.S and unless I change it to UK it doesn't detect a
> dialtone.

> In Windows its in Control Panel,. Modems..select modem, Properties,
> Country.

No joy changing the country code unfortunately. Don't know how this would be
done via init strings. I've tried things like AT*NC048 (which is New
Zealand) but ERROR is returned. Can't see a place to change it under XP
either, unfortunately. Further clues welcome.

--
Cheers,
Rich.

Post by Zig » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:27:41

> > > I don't know enough about modems to continue diagnosing the problem. Am
> > > dealing with a difference between Australian / New Zealand exchanges?

> > Possibly. Some countries use different dialtones and you have to set
> > the country code to the one you are in. For example my HSF modem driver
> > always defaults to U.S and unless I change it to UK it doesn't detect a
> > dialtone.

> > In Windows its in Control Panel,. Modems..select modem, Properties,
> > Country.

> No joy changing the country code unfortunately. Don't know how this would be
> done via init strings. I've tried things like AT*NC048 (which is New
> Zealand) but ERROR is returned. Can't see a place to change it under XP
> either, unfortunately. Further clues welcome.

try to use init string  "ATX1"
this string will make the modem dial even if it
doesn't get a tone.

1. no modem sound, doesn't recognize modem

Hi everyone!
I am running a Linux SUSE 6.0 version. I set up my kppp dial-up to my ISP
but my modem has no sound. I have an internal USRobotics 56k. My modem is
fine under WIn98 (dial-up, etc>).
When I run the login command I get script in the debug window (atz, etc...)
but my modem doesn't sound.
I also went troubleshooting with wvdial and it says "no modem detected".
Please help!
Thanks,
Alex

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Serial

3. Newbie - Help - RH 6.0 doesn't recognize cable modem

4. kernel zeroing memory (was Re: Why DRM exists)

5. System Doesn't Recognize USR 56k Modem

6. Solaris 8 x86 and VNC

7. Modem Problem, Linux doesn't recognize it

8. VIA KX133 MoBo's and Linux ?

9. kppp doesn't recognize modem

10. System Doesn't Recognize USR 56k Modem

11. Linux still doesn't recognize my modem

12. Why doesn't Linux recognise PCI-modems ?

13. Linux doesn't recognize my modem...Help!