Where have all the ISA slots gone?

Post by Robert Wues » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've been looking for a new motherboard to upgrade my P100 and the
picture that's starting to form is not very pretty.  It seems that most
(if not all) current motherboard designs are supporting a lot of PCI
slots and only two ISA slots.  I just got a nice bonus at work and I
want a 300MHz PII / 128 meg. NOW :-).

I need 4 ISA slots: SB-AWE64, GTEK BlackBoard-4, USR modem, and a cheapy
NE-2000 NIC.  I can get an MB with the NIC on it, but that still leaves
three boards to go on.  It'd be cool if someone made a motherboard which
allowed sharing a single IRQ for the onboard serial ports.

Does any body have any suggestions? Is there a collection of motherboard
info on the net anywhere?  (Would it be worthwhile to start one?)

(BTW,  I _do_ know that manufacturers are moving to PCI because it
eliminates a lot of problems you find on the ISA bus, it's faster, etc.)

--
Robert Wuest, PE               Empowered
Sirius Engineering Company            by

Post by Olav Woelfelschneid » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

RW> picture that's starting to form is not very pretty.  It seems that most
RW> (if not all) current motherboard designs are supporting a lot of PCI
RW> slots and only two ISA slots.

Microsoft dictates that in a certain future, a PC must not have ISA in
order to get a certain Microsoft sticker. wonderful. NOT.

About your problem, back in the time before the Slot-1 hype, Tyan was known
to make boards with loads of slots. I still run one with 5xISA, 4xPCI and
8xPS/2-Memory. (Tomcat)

Maybe you investigate current Tyan boards closer, perhaps they have such
a beast with a Splat-1.

You know there are el-cheapo PCI-NE2000 nic's?

--

     PGP fingerprint = 06 5F 66 B3  2A AD 7D 2D  B7 19 67 3C  95 A7 9D AF
     But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay:    -- Matthew 5:37

Post by Robert M. Taylo » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

> RW> picture that's starting to form is not very pretty.  It seems that most
> RW> (if not all) current motherboard designs are supporting a lot of PCI
> RW> slots and only two ISA slots.

--snip--

Quote:> Maybe you investigate current Tyan boards closer, perhaps they have such
> a beast with a Splat-1.

--snip --
Hi,
I've a Tyan Titan S1571 AT-2 MB. Has 4 ISA, 5 PCI ( slot 1 & 5 PCI share a
"bus mastering resource ) which means there are really only 4. This thing runs
Linux almost exclusively - my resume is printed in Word. Now that I have a new
job the windows partition won't get very much use.  This thing is supposed to
support 50/60/66/75 and 83 MHz system bus. TX chip set board with 2 USB
headers (no cable, just headers) and a ps/2 mouse header ( again  no cable or
connector, just the header ). This kind of hardware is not my "thing" but the
system runs fine in Linux and has run stable for about two months. I use this
thing a lot. Processor is a Pentium 166 (no MMX). Do other MB Mfr.'s. sell the
connectors as options also or is this peculiar to Tyan ?
What in blazes is a Splat-1? Sounds like a paint can falling off a building.

Bob Taylor,

Where have all the ISA slots gone?

Post by Clive Clomsbarro » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> Does any body have any suggestions? Is there a collection of motherboard
> info on the net anywhere?  (Would it be worthwhile to start one?)

[...]
There are some links to such info at
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/hardware.html and
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/motherboards.html

"Tom's..." and "...Anand..." are my favorites.

Post by Itai Nahsho » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00

> Does any body have any suggestions? Is there a collection of motherboard
> info on the net anywhere?  (Would it be worthwhile to start one?)

My suggestion is that you use as little ISA as you can... At least, do
not make new investments in ISA hardware.

Otherwise, look at
      http://www.anandtech.com
and   http://www.tomshardware.com

And look for the mainboard reviews. You may also find something
on www.zdnet.com.

Itai
--

Where have all the ISA slots gone?

Post by mark » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00

Just to be a jerk, and show how awful software guys can be, are you talking
about really really small ISA cards or using fewer of them? ;-)

Grammar teacher to the stars.

> > Does any body have any suggestions? Is there a collection of motherboard
> > info on the net anywhere?  (Would it be worthwhile to start one?)

> My suggestion is that you use as little  ISA as you can... At least, do
> not make new investments in ISA hardware.

> Otherwise, look at
>       http://www.anandtech.com
> and   http://www.tomshardware.com

> And look for the mainboard reviews. You may also find something
> on www.zdnet.com.

> Itai
> --

Where have all the ISA slots gone?

Post by Olav Woelfelschneid » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00

RM T> What in blazes is a Splat-1? Sounds like a paint can falling off a building.

*snicker* I meant a slot-one. You know, that hyped Pentium-II thingie.

--

     PGP fingerprint = 06 5F 66 B3  2A AD 7D 2D  B7 19 67 3C  95 A7 9D AF
     But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay:    -- Matthew 5:37
     for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.       on computers

Where have all the ISA slots gone?

Post by Itai Nahsho » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

Well,
I give you an example, I have a network card (ne2000 compatible)
that measures (6"1/4 x 2"1/16)...

Come on, have't they told you that size don't mater?

I mean that if you can use and isa card or a pci card for the
same function, have preference for PCI.
Look at the PC99 spec (start searching from developer.intel.com).
ISA is not part of their spec!

Itai