1. IDE RAID Cards vs Software RAID????
Ok. I have been browsing thru searches on Deja among other places on
IDE RAID on Linux. I am a little confused, at the moment. The
following is what I think I understand about this, please feel free to
correct me as needed, and please also provide references if applicable.
1) IDE RAID cards like the Promise FastTrak 100 are software driven,
and not natively supported by the default Linux IDE driver. There are
patches available, but the overall process is non-trivial, for someone
whose only compiling experience is the Linux kernel (and not even that
for a year or so :( ).
2) Software RAID under Linux can rival or beat low-end hardware-based
RAID, provided you keep to one drive per IDE channel. The software
RAID implentation is a bit easier to accomplish than the modifications
mentioned in 1). Plus it gives more RAID options than most low-end
i.e. affordable hardware options.
So my (next) question is: If the FastTrak100 costs ~$100, and an ATA100
controller card (non-RAID) costs ~$40, and the drives costs the same,
is there any benefit of using a FastTrak100 vs a standard ATA100 card
if everything has to be implemented via software anyway?
I apologize if this post sounds weird. After sifting thru a bunch of
threads, none of which seemed to directly touch on this, the above is
what I came away with. I'm mainly looking for confirmation, or
corrections, to reassure me that I'm headed down the right path.
There are basically three kinds of men. There
are the ones who learn by reading. Then there are
the few who learn by observation. The rest just
have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
2. PPP with dynamic channel allocation?
3. Tested: Journaling Filesystems on Linux software RAID-5 using IDE-drives and 2 IDE controller cards
4. .profile can not seem to find the path ..
5. IDE RAID - FastTrak/66 (ATA/IDE - PCI RAID CONTROLLER)
6. POP server loses messages but they're still there
7. teltnet; can't login
8. booting from a PCI card IDE controller /software raid?
9. built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?
10. raid,apm,ide, powers down too fast & corrupts raid
11. RAID RAID RAID
12. built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?