IDE RAID card or software RAID ?

Post by Richa » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:01:16

I'm looking for a new motherboard for a webserver that I'm building up
that either has a Linux / redhat 9 compatible ide raid card built in
or a stand alone cheaper ide linux compatiable raid card. The Board
can't be more than $140 and the installation process for the raid
needs to be simple. I was also reading up on software raid - if you're
running a 2 ghz machine then surely the software overhead for the RAID
won't be that great ?? (the webserver gets about 10000 visits a month
on 15 mostly text based sites) Was reading the redhat installation
manual for raid setup and it looks simple, can set it up through the
gui on startup. I want raid 1 for redundancy.

Thanks
Thabo
Oct 2003

IDE RAID card or software RAID ?

Post by Steve Wolf » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:19:53

Quote:> I'm looking for a new motherboard for a webserver that I'm building up
> that either has a Linux / redhat 9 compatible ide raid card built in
> or a stand alone cheaper ide linux compatiable raid card. The Board
> can't be more than $140 and the installation process for the raid
> needs to be simple. I was also reading up on software raid - if you're
> running a 2 ghz machine then surely the software overhead for the RAID
> won't be that great ?? (the webserver gets about 10000 visits a month
> on 15 mostly text based sites) Was reading the redhat installation
> manual for raid setup and it looks simple, can set it up through the
> gui on startup. I want raid 1 for redundancy.

  The software RAID will have a negligible impact on the performance of
your machine during normal operation.  And any small hit can be countered
by adding more RAM for caching.  Unless you're doing some serious DBMS
work to crank out each page, 10,000 visits per month should be just about
enough to make sure the machine doesn't go into sleep mode, but certainly
not enough to make it sweat.

steve

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:35:40

> I'm looking for a new motherboard for a webserver that I'm building up
> that either has a Linux / redhat 9 compatible ide raid card built in
> or a stand alone cheaper ide linux compatiable raid card. The Board
> can't be more than $140 and the installation process for the raid

For that price, you will only get software RAID.  Cards in that price
range advertised as RAID cards are doing software RAID in the driver.
Linux software RAID will usually do a better job.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

1. IDE RAID Cards vs Software RAID????

 Ok.  I have been browsing thru searches on Deja among other places on
IDE RAID on Linux.  I am a little confused, at the moment.  The
following is what I think I understand about this, please feel free to
correct me as needed, and please also provide references if applicable.

1)  IDE RAID cards like the Promise FastTrak 100 are software driven,
and not natively supported by the default Linux IDE driver.  There are
patches available, but the overall process is non-trivial, for someone
whose only compiling experience is the Linux kernel (and not even that
for a year or so :( ).

2)  Software RAID under Linux can rival or beat low-end hardware-based
RAID, provided you keep to one drive per IDE channel.  The software
RAID implentation is a bit easier to accomplish than the modifications
mentioned in 1).  Plus it gives more RAID options than most low-end
i.e. affordable hardware options.

So my (next) question is: If the FastTrak100 costs ~$100, and an ATA100
controller card (non-RAID) costs ~$40, and the drives costs the same,
is there any benefit of using a FastTrak100 vs a standard ATA100 card
if everything has to be implemented via software anyway?

I apologize if this post sounds weird.  After sifting thru a bunch of
threads, none of which seemed to directly touch on this, the above is
what I came away with.  I'm mainly looking for confirmation, or
corrections, to reassure me that I'm headed down the right path.

TIA,

Monte

--
There are basically three kinds of men.  There
are the ones who learn by reading.  Then there are

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. PPP with dynamic channel allocation?

3. Tested: Journaling Filesystems on Linux software RAID-5 using IDE-drives and 2 IDE controller cards

4. .profile can not seem to find the path ..

5. IDE RAID - FastTrak/66 (ATA/IDE - PCI RAID CONTROLLER)

6. POP server loses messages but they're still there

7. teltnet; can't login

8. booting from a PCI card IDE controller /software raid?

9. built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?

10. raid,apm,ide, powers down too fast & corrupts raid

11. RAID RAID RAID

12. built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?