Power On after power failure not working (Motherboard M787CLR/M787CL)

Power On after power failure not working (Motherboard M787CLR/M787CL)

Post by Alejandro O. De Car » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 05:53:43

I have the following problem:
I need my machine to power on automatically after a power failure
occurs, so I get to the BIOS SETUP utility, go to POWER MANAGEMENT SET
UP and set  "STATE AFTER POWER FAILURE" = On.

Just in case, I also set "ACPI function" to DISABLED and "PM CONTROL
BY AMP" = NO (I read somewhere that if these parameters are enabled,
they can make some BIOS setup not to work).

The problem is that, after a power failure, the machine does not power
on automatically as it should be, instead I have to power it on
manually pressing the POWER ON button.

Can anybody give me some clues about what the problem may be?

I have the following configuration:
Motherboard: PC 133 M787CLR (name changed to M787CL recently)
BIOS Version: V1.1A
CPU: VIA C3 - 1 Giga Pro
Memory: 128 PC133 SDRAM
HDD: Western Digital WD200EB-00CPF0 IDE
Power Supply: SUNSHINE Model ATX-235UT (235 Watts)
Operating System: Linux Red Hat 7.3

Any clue will be welcomed.
Regards everybody.

Power On after power failure not working (Motherboard M787CLR/M787CL)

Post by Jacob Westenbac » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 04:43:33

This sounds like your system cabinet has the currently popular 2-part power
switches.  One, on the PS, actually interrupts the a/c current, usually with
a rocker switch.  The second, usually a front-panel mounted push-push type,
has to be manually operated after the first is powered on.  The only
solution I've ever found is to bypass the front-panel switch.

JW

Quote:> I have the following problem:
> I need my machine to power on automatically after a power failure
> occurs, so I get to the BIOS SETUP utility, go to POWER MANAGEMENT SET
> UP and set  "STATE AFTER POWER FAILURE" = On.

> Just in case, I also set "ACPI function" to DISABLED and "PM CONTROL
> BY AMP" = NO (I read somewhere that if these parameters are enabled,
> they can make some BIOS setup not to work).

> The problem is that, after a power failure, the machine does not power
> on automatically as it should be, instead I have to power it on
> manually pressing the POWER ON button.

> Can anybody give me some clues about what the problem may be?

> I have the following configuration:
> Motherboard: PC 133 M787CLR (name changed to M787CL recently)
> BIOS Version: V1.1A
> CPU: VIA C3 - 1 Giga Pro
> Memory: 128 PC133 SDRAM
> HDD: Western Digital WD200EB-00CPF0 IDE
> Power Supply: SUNSHINE Model ATX-235UT (235 Watts)
> Operating System: Linux Red Hat 7.3

> Any clue will be welcomed.
> Regards everybody.

Power On after power failure not working (Motherboard M787CLR/M787CL)

Post by Alejandro O. De Car » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:09:45

Jacob,
Thanks a lot for your clue.
This computer that has the problem had a Power Suply with the rocker
switch you mention, so I swaped it with the one from another computer
that had a "normal" one with no rocker switch
Thing is that the problem remains. Furthermore, the computer that now
has the power supply with the rocker switch, powers on automatically
after a power failure (as it did before swapping the PS)...

I'm thinking that may be there is a bug in the BIOS making the "Power
On State after power failure" feature not to work...
I posted this question to the motherboard manufaturer but they didn't
answer yet... I think they will not answer since they are not a "first
class" manufacturer, and their site doesn't looks very
good...(http://www.pcchips.com.tw/)

One question, what do you mean in practice when you say "to bypass the
front-panel switch"?
Best regards and thanks for your time.
Ale.

> This sounds like your system cabinet has the currently popular 2-part power
> switches.  One, on the PS, actually interrupts the a/c current, usually with
> a rocker switch.  The second, usually a front-panel mounted push-push type,
> has to be manually operated after the first is powered on.  The only
> solution I've ever found is to bypass the front-panel switch.

> JW

> > I have the following problem:
> > I need my machine to power on automatically after a power failure
> > occurs, so I get to the BIOS SETUP utility, go to POWER MANAGEMENT SET
> > UP and set  "STATE AFTER POWER FAILURE" = On.

> > Just in case, I also set "ACPI function" to DISABLED and "PM CONTROL
> > BY AMP" = NO (I read somewhere that if these parameters are enabled,
> > they can make some BIOS setup not to work).

> > The problem is that, after a power failure, the machine does not power
> > on automatically as it should be, instead I have to power it on
> > manually pressing the POWER ON button.

> > Can anybody give me some clues about what the problem may be?

> > I have the following configuration:
> > Motherboard: PC 133 M787CLR (name changed to M787CL recently)
> > BIOS Version: V1.1A
> > CPU: VIA C3 - 1 Giga Pro
> > Memory: 128 PC133 SDRAM
> > HDD: Western Digital WD200EB-00CPF0 IDE
> > Power Supply: SUNSHINE Model ATX-235UT (235 Watts)
> > Operating System: Linux Red Hat 7.3

> > Any clue will be welcomed.
> > Regards everybody.

Power On after power failure not working (Motherboard M787CLR/M787CL)

Post by Jacob Westenbac » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 02:00:11

Quote:> Jacob,
> Thanks a lot for your clue.
> This computer that has the problem had a Power Suply with the rocker
> switch you mention, so I swaped it with the one from another computer
> that had a "normal" one with no rocker switch
> Thing is that the problem remains. Furthermore, the computer that now
> has the power supply with the rocker switch, powers on automatically
> after a power failure (as it did before swapping the PS)...

Since the problem stayed with the machine when you swapped PS, the
problem(s) are elsewhere in the system.  If you are unable to access the
BIOS, you may be able to manually clear the current settings using an
on-board jumper.  The presence and location of a reset jumper is make/model
specific, so you'll need the docs for the motherboard.  Ditto for how to
perform a reset.  Some only require placing a jumper on a pair of pins,
others require the jumper and applying power.  Check the motherboard docs.

Quote:

> I'm thinking that may be there is a bug in the BIOS making the "Power
> On State after power failure" feature not to work...
> I posted this question to the motherboard manufaturer but they didn't
> answer yet... I think they will not answer since they are not a "first
> class" manufacturer, and their site doesn't looks very
> good...(http://www.pcchips.com.tw/)

If you get an answer, I have in the past, you may need a Chinese interpreter
to read their answer and try to explain it.  Their answer looked like
English, but the content was very obscure.

Quote:

> One question, what do you mean in practice when you say "to bypass the
> front-panel switch"?

Exactly that.  Placing a jumper across the wiring to effectively make the
switch "on" all the time.  Then, use the PS rocker switch for the on/off
functions.

JW

Power On after power failure not working (Motherboard M787CLR/M787CL)

Post by Alejandro O. De Car » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 23:19:17

Jacob,
Thanks again for your time.
I can access the BIOS set up and it takes the changes I make (or at
least it displays the new settings next time I turn on the computer),
so accessing the BIOS it is not a problem.
Bypassing the front-panel switch it is no longer a solution since now
I changed the PS, right?
I'll keep trying to find a solution, may be it will be changing the
damn motherboard, which implies hours of recongifguration I want to
avoid...
I think I deserve this for buying a cheap mobo...
Regards and thanks again.
Ale.

> > Jacob,
> > Thanks a lot for your clue.
> > This computer that has the problem had a Power Suply with the rocker
> > switch you mention, so I swaped it with the one from another computer
> > that had a "normal" one with no rocker switch
> > Thing is that the problem remains. Furthermore, the computer that now
> > has the power supply with the rocker switch, powers on automatically
> > after a power failure (as it did before swapping the PS)...

> Since the problem stayed with the machine when you swapped PS, the
> problem(s) are elsewhere in the system.  If you are unable to access the
> BIOS, you may be able to manually clear the current settings using an
> on-board jumper.  The presence and location of a reset jumper is make/model
> specific, so you'll need the docs for the motherboard.  Ditto for how to
> perform a reset.  Some only require placing a jumper on a pair of pins,
> others require the jumper and applying power.  Check the motherboard docs.

> > I'm thinking that may be there is a bug in the BIOS making the "Power
> > On State after power failure" feature not to work...
> > I posted this question to the motherboard manufaturer but they didn't
> > answer yet... I think they will not answer since they are not a "first
> > class" manufacturer, and their site doesn't looks very
> > good...(http://www.pcchips.com.tw/)

> If you get an answer, I have in the past, you may need a Chinese interpreter
> to read their answer and try to explain it.  Their answer looked like
> English, but the content was very obscure.

> > One question, what do you mean in practice when you say "to bypass the
> > front-panel switch"?

> Exactly that.  Placing a jumper across the wiring to effectively make the
> switch "on" all the time.  Then, use the PS rocker switch for the on/off
> functions.

> JW

1. Backup power, power failures, and crashes

I have a couple of questions for my cola friends RE: uninterruptible
power suppies, and a problem I have with my compaq presario.

I am running mandrake 8.0 and I will eventually be getting a UPS. I
would like a recommendation for a good mid range home UPS that will
give me like, min. 5 minutes on my pc. I was reading /etc/inittab and
there was mention of the UPS notifying the system that a powerfailure
had occured, and the system being able to do a clean shutdown as a
result. How is this communication between UPS and computer
accomplished?

And finally, I would like to know if any of you have experienced
this. I mentioned some time ago, that my computer does not boot up
again if there is a brown out or black up. I have to physically push
the power button to cycle it on again. My Linksys router also had a bit of a
nervous breakdown last time this happened. The router probably can't
be helped, but is there something I can do to change this behavior in
the 'puter?

Cheers,

Mathew

--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored assault
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Flipper readings upon request.

2. redundant gateways

3. printing does not work after power failure

4. Network X client access to X server

5. power failure vs slow ups battery failure

6. Problem with routing table

7. Low power usage mini-ITX motherboard that works with a 72.v 3000ma battery?

8. NFS Mounting problem

9. Power Failure Test Failure

10. power failure vs slow ups battery failure

11. LILO stopped working after power failure.

12. HELP: Drive won't work after power failure!

13. Grief: After power failure X does not start