Minimum resources MP3 player software

Post by Klaus Kragelu » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 19:06:06

Hi

I have this old IBM thinkpad (486 100MHz) and was wondering if you
guys know of any software for Linux (preferable Redhat 8 - xWindows)
that will play MP3 files in stereo at 128kbps. I know there won't be
much resources left - but anyway the old laptop is still useable

Also - any drivers for using the wave output on a LPT port instead of
a dedicated soundcard (8bit - 16bit??)

Thanks

Klaus

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 20:28:45

> I have this old IBM thinkpad (486 100MHz) and was wondering if you
> guys know of any software for Linux (preferable Redhat 8 - xWindows)
> that will play MP3 files in stereo at 128kbps. I know there won't be
> much resources left - but anyway the old laptop is still useable

XMMS is pretty fast.  mpg123 is an excellent command line player.

Quote:> Also - any drivers for using the wave output on a LPT port instead of
> a dedicated soundcard (8bit - 16bit??)

Are you talking about those hacks to use the parallel port as a sound
card?  I wouldn't hope for any reasonable sound quality there.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Post by AndrĂ© Jan » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 23:44:26

>>I have this old IBM thinkpad (486 100MHz) and was wondering if you
>>guys know of any software for Linux (preferable Redhat 8 - xWindows)
>>that will play MP3 files in stereo at 128kbps. I know there won't be
>>much resources left - but anyway the old laptop is still useable

>>Also - any drivers for using the wave output on a LPT port instead of
>>a dedicated soundcard (8bit - 16bit??)

> Are you talking about those hacks to use the parallel port as a sound
> card?  I wouldn't hope for any reasonable sound quality there.

And the resource usage would be even higher. A soundcard can just use
DMA while you have to continuously poll the parallel port if you want to
output sound over that. (Or do you refer to a parallel port soundcard
which does some buffering itself? Then you *might* have a chance if you
have a decent parallel port with ECP (DMA). Don't know about Linux
drivers, though.).

Of course an external MP3 decoder on the parallel port would work, for
this even a 286 is enough.
See eg. (sorry, German)
http://www.heise.de/ct/99/09/200/
http://www.heise.de/ct/99/10/260/
http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/mp3player_1/

Andr

Post by Klaus Kragelu » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 09:10:06

> >>I have this old IBM thinkpad (486 100MHz) and was wondering if you
> >>guys know of any software for Linux (preferable Redhat 8 - xWindows)
> >>that will play MP3 files in stereo at 128kbps. I know there won't be
> >>much resources left - but anyway the old laptop is still useable

> >>Also - any drivers for using the wave output on a LPT port instead of
> >>a dedicated soundcard (8bit - 16bit??)

> > Are you talking about those hacks to use the parallel port as a sound
> > card?  I wouldn't hope for any reasonable sound quality there.

> And the resource usage would be even higher. A soundcard can just use
> DMA while you have to continuously poll the parallel port if you want to
> output sound over that. (Or do you refer to a parallel port soundcard
> which does some buffering itself? Then you *might* have a chance if you
> have a decent parallel port with ECP (DMA). Don't know about Linux
> drivers, though.).

> Of course an external MP3 decoder on the parallel port would work, for
> this even a 286 is enough.
> See eg. (sorry, German)
> http://www.heise.de/ct/99/09/200/
> http://www.heise.de/ct/99/10/260/
> http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/mp3player_1/

> Andr

Actually I was looking for a parallel port soundcard hack. But this
external MP3 decoder looks very nice - and cheap too. I'll go for that
instead and make one for my car too :-)

Thanks

Klaus