aha1542cp controller ... help

Post by Margaret Sue Zen » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

We had a working 1.2.8 slakware system running on a pentium with an older
AHA contoller.  For requirements that need not be documented here, the
controller was changed to an aha1542cp.  The Dos/win95 side boots, Lilo
is there, but when we try to boot ANY of the Linux kernels we get a panic
when mounting the root file system.  Is there any way to resurrect the
LInux partition or does it have to be reinstalled?

and thanks for your assistance.

aha1542cp controller ... help

Post by Jun-dong Pa » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I got tekram DC300B which is comparable with aha154x.  I have some probs.
When I use SCSI HDD with that adapter, the system goes hang over everytime.
Somebody said I should put the IRQ for buslogic when I boot up, but it
doesn't work.  This is ref. for my system;
        486DX2 66 with 8M RAM
        Slackware 3.0 with 1.2.13 kernel
        Conner CFP1060S 1G SCSI HDD with Tekram DC300B SCSI adapter
Thanks for any advice.

jun...

        To say that you can love one person all your life is just
        like saying that one candle will continue burning as long
        as you live.                -Tolstoy, The Kreutzer Sonata

aha1542cp controller ... help

Post by MSOO » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

, but when we try to boot ANY of the Linux kernels we get a panic

>when mounting the root file system.  Is there any way to resurrect the
>LInux partition or does it have to be reinstalled?

>and thanks for your assistance.

I had this going on after rebuilding the Kernal. I booted from an image
on a floppy entering "mount root=/dev/sda1" at the boot prompt so that
the existing Linux root file system would be used. Then login as root,
and enter "lilo". This will cause lilo to remap the linux kernal image.

Michael

aha1542cp controller ... help

Post by Owen Willia » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>We had a working 1.2.8 slakware system running on a pentium with an older
>AHA contoller.  For requirements that need not be documented here, the
>controller was changed to an aha1542cp.  The Dos/win95 side boots, Lilo
>is there, but when we try to boot ANY of the Linux kernels we get a panic
>when mounting the root file system.  Is there any way to resurrect the
>LInux partition or does it have to be reinstalled?

>and thanks for your assistance.

I have a similar card, the first observation is that niether Pinnacle nor the manufacturer Adaptec was seemingly very interested in telling me the details of the card so that a driver could be witten.

However as I played with the card under MSDOS (no flames) it became obvious that it is really just a Bios minus 1542 or at least is indistinguishable from a 1542 without a Bios.

Therefor since I boot of of an IDE drive and use two scsi harddrives and an RCD5020 CD-R all I needed to do was to tell LILO (which is on the IDE drive) that a 1542 existed at a particular address and interupt and viola.

This of course will not work if you have to boot from a scsi drive. Nothing will work if you must boot from or rather with a cp card as the card does not exist until software drivers are loaded.  Mileage invarient.
owen Williams

aha1542cp controller ... help

Post by Rob Mull » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>>We had a working 1.2.8 slakware system running on a pentium with an older
>>AHA contoller.  For requirements that need not be documented here, the
>>controller was changed to an aha1542cp.  The Dos/win95 side boots, Lilo
>>is there, but when we try to boot ANY of the Linux kernels we get a panic
>>when mounting the root file system.  Is there any way to resurrect the
>>LInux partition or does it have to be reinstalled?

>>and thanks for your assistance.
>I have a similar card, the first observation is that niether Pinnacle nor the manufacturer Adaptec was seemingly very interested in telling me the details of the card so that a driver could be witten.
>However as I played with the card under MSDOS (no flames) it became obvious that it is really just a Bios minus 1542 or at least is indistinguishable from a 1542 without a Bios.
>Therefor since I boot of of an IDE drive and use two scsi harddrives and an RCD5020 CD-R all I needed to do was to tell LILO (which is on the IDE drive) that a 1542 existed at a particular address and interupt and viola.
>This of course will not work if you have to boot from a scsi drive. Nothing will work if you must boot from or rather with a cp card as the card does not exist until software drivers are loaded.  Mileage invarient.
>owen Williams

Not from experience, but from the grapevine,
turn off all translation and extended services of the adaptec card. If
you can, disable the PnP mode. then try again.
greets,
rob

--
 Rob Muller             Phone +31-(0)20-6417524      Quote :

                                                        where we're coming
 The Netherlands                                        from.   (Seal)

aha1542cp controller ... help

Post by Ellis Skina » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

>_Not from experience, but from the grapevine,
>_turn off all translation and extended services of the adaptec card. If
>_you can, disable the PnP mode. then try again.
>_greets,
>_rob
>_

You may also find that you actually have to use the DIP switch settings
to disable the PnP mode.

I tried in the BIOS setup, with a Pentium motherboard, without success,
until I set the DIP switch to disable PnP mode, and disabled 1) support
for more than two drives, 2) support for drives > 1Gb and 3) BIOS scan
for ...

Hope this can help

Ellis Skinazi                                     Everything in excess,

Compuserve : 74003,3574

1. Help: Adapted AHA1542CP and large HD woes...

Hello, all. If this question is out of place, or there is an answer in a
FAQ, I'd greatly appreciate some kind soul pointing me to it. Otherwise...

I'm having trouble getting the aha1542 driver to recognize the extended
translation the adaptor's BIOS is doing (I have a 2GB hard drive).

I'm attempting to install Linux from the SlackWare 3.0 ELF CD and I'm
having trouble due to my large hard drive. I have an Adaptec AHA1542CP ISA
SCSI adapter. I've set the board up non-plug-and-play, and manually set the
IRQ to 9, the DMA to 6 and the I/O address to 0x334 (which are all
recognized addresses for the driver). The board is recognized and I get to
the login prompt.

But when I login as root and run fdisk on /dev/sda to partition my drive, I
get the warning message about the disk having too many cylinders (1075). I
know that this is because the driver is not recognizing that the BIOS is
using extended mapping for my 2.1GB drive, but I don't know how to get it
to do so. I have made sure that the BIOS is enabled as is extended
translation.

I'm stumped. I'd greatly appreciate any advice on how to convince the
driver that I'm using extended translation.

        Thanks all,
          Dave

2. Help with Samsung wireless NIC

3. Help for AHA1542CP: interrupt received, but no mail

4. Size of /boot partition using Disk Druid in RH 6.0?

5. mixing multiple AHA1542CP's and 2940UW cylinder problem

6. rh5.2 install problems - 'execution of script failed'

7. Adaptec AHA1542CP

8. onboard sound - wont work

9. looking for external scsi hard disk to go with adaptec aha1542cp

10. AHA1542CP SCSI or filesystem problem?

11. Cannot boot after install solaris x86 2.6 using AHA1542CP.

12. 2.1.5R and 2.2-SNAP Panics - AHA1542CP?

13. Adaptec AHA1542CP