Good video (3D & video input) card for Linux

Good video (3D & video input) card for Linux

Post by Bernard Segonn » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 22:05:21

Hi,

I've got an old PC (3 years old).  I use it for games, and video (to
make VCD from my cam-recorder).  I have an ATI All in wonder Pro 128
AGPx4, which is not fully supported by Linux (from MDK 7.0 up to MDK
10).  Video output is working badly (even on Windows XP there is some
drivers problems), recording input video doesn't work on Linux (but
does on XP).

I want to by a new card (less than $180), which does 3D and video
input. I NEED the 'transform & lightning' feature for games  :-)
I don't care about video output, reading DVD (but it should work),
AGPx8  (my mother board can go up to x4).

I have a 'bad' experience with ATI (due to All in Wonder Pro drivers &
bad Linux support), but their card seems better than nVidia.

My question : which card (model, chipset, ...)  would be a good choice
 ?  And be supported in both Linux & XP ?  Even video recording video
input :-)

Thanks for your answers.

Good video (3D & video input) card for Linux

Post by Mad-Eye Mood » Sat, 06 Nov 2004 05:45:42

Quote:> I've got an old PC (3 years old).  I use it for games, and video (to make
> VCD from my cam-recorder).  I have an ATI All in wonder Pro 128 AGPx4,
> which is not fully supported by Linux (from MDK 7.0 up to MDK 10). Video
> output is working badly (even on Windows XP there is some drivers
> problems), recording input video doesn't work on Linux (but does on XP).
> I want to by a new card (less than $180), which does 3D and video input.
> I NEED the 'transform & lightning' feature for games  :-) I don't care
> about video output, reading DVD (but it should work), AGPx8  (my mother
> board can go up to x4). I have a 'bad' experience with ATI (due to All
> in Wonder Pro drivers & bad Linux support), but their card seems better
> than nVidia. My question : which card (model, chipset, ...)  would be a
> good choice ? And be supported in both Linux & XP ?  Even video
> recording video input

well, its simple. buy SEPARATE. nvidia currently has better linux support,
and for capturing video, a separate capture/tuner card with, ie, bt
chipset. capture only card can be found here for less than 20euro, and with
tuner, for less than 35. than you still have cca 130-140$ to spend on your
graphic card.

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 06 Nov 2004 06:07:29

> well, its simple. buy SEPARATE.

That is probably the best idea.

Quote:> nvidia currently has better linux support,

Nvidia has better binary closed-source drivers than ATI has, but all major
Linux distributions has better out-of-the box support for some low-end ATI
cards than any nvidia card. If a low-end card is enough I would recomend
an ATI Radeon 9250 as that one is supported by opensource drivers. The
opensource nvidia driver included with most distributions does not support
hardware accelerated OpenGL.

Quote:> and for capturing video, a separate capture/tuner card with, ie, bt
> chipset.

I also have the best experiences with the good old bt chipset.
Unfortunately this is a bit messy. Brooktree which made the Bt chipset was
bought by Conexant who has continued making compatible chipsets but
renamed them a little. Instead of calling them things like bt878 they call
them cx878. To complicate things they also have other chipsets whose
drivers are not as mature as the bt driver. I would avoid any card built
on the cx23881.

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

1. Good & cheap 2D/3D video card for linux.

Hi,

I'm building a system which will have both win95 and linux. I was
thinking of either of these cards:

ATI 3D Xpression+ 4mb  ($120)
Matrox Mystique   4mb  ($130)
Herculese Nitro3D 4mb  ($140)

I will be using mostly business productivity apps and games in
win95 and in Linux, I'll use latex, netscape, experimenting with
java etc.

I know there are XF86 drivers for the ATI card, but what about
the other cards. Is the Nitro3D better than the ATI card overall ?

2. start a remote porgram, having it running after closing telnet.

3. Good 3D Video Card For Linux

4. Q:solaris exec on syslog-event

5. Jaton VIDEO-740AGP-3D video card

6. Redhat 4.1 and HP scanner 3C

7. Programming video card (ATI card w/ s-video & tv-out) Need direction to correct info

8. utmpx and wtmpx files in /var/adm - HELP

9. Can't change video resolutions for 3D Blaster Banshee Video Card

10. What's a good 3d video card

11. Can anyone suggest a good 3D video card?

12. NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...

13. Installation Question - Video Card Problem (Diamond Viper 300 & Monster 3d 2000)