X and Matrox Mystique - Generic VESA support?

Post by Mark Vojkovi » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>My friend has convinced me to install Linux.  He's going to lend me his
>RedHat CDs.  Anyway, I have a Matrox Mystique video card.  I noticed the
>free X server that comes on the CD does not support Mystique.  I read a
>thread that support is coming.  In the mean time, can I use some kind of
>generic VESA driver to run X in?  What kind of resolutions will I be able
>to get?  Will there be a decrease in video speed (performance)?  Please

  You cannot access VESA services in Linux.  It would require
the ability to throw 16bit real mode interrupts.  This is not
done in a 32bit protected mode operating system.

   You can run the Mystique with the 16 color VGA server (XF86_VGA16)
at 640x480 (some people have gotten 800x600 to work) or 256
colors at 320x200 with the XF86_SVGA server.  Completely
unaccelerated.

                        MArk.

X and Matrox Mystique - Generic VESA support?

Post by gippa » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

This simply is not true.  The linux I have (slackware) fully supports
VESA, as does xf86.  Take a look at xf86config sometime.

Quote:>   You cannot access VESA services in Linux.  It would require

Post by Sonet Adm » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

|> >My friend has convinced me to install Linux.  He's going to lend me his
|> >RedHat CDs.  Anyway, I have a Matrox Mystique video card.  I noticed the
|> >free X server that comes on the CD does not support Mystique.  I read a
|> >thread that support is coming.  In the mean time, can I use some kind of
|> >generic VESA driver to run X in?  What kind of resolutions will I be able
|> >to get?  Will there be a decrease in video speed (performance)?  Please

|>   You cannot access VESA services in Linux.  It would require
|> the ability to throw 16bit real mode interrupts.  This is not
|> done in a 32bit protected mode operating system.
|>
|>    You can run the Mystique with the 16 color VGA server (XF86_VGA16)
|> at 640x480 (some people have gotten 800x600 to work) or 256
|> colors at 320x200 with the XF86_SVGA server.  Completely
|> unaccelerated.
|>

|>                   MArk.

The latest XFree86 has an SVGA driver that supports the Mystique. It's working
fine on this box under RedHat 4.0-