40MHz operation jumper on ATI Mach 32 VLB?

40MHz operation jumper on ATI Mach 32 VLB?

Post by K.J. Seefried I » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

-----

I have an ATI Mach 32 VLB video card that I would like to use with a SIS
chipset based i486DX motherboard.  The card works fine when clocked
at 33MHz, but when I clock it at 40MHz it periodically has problems (3
bands of scrambled video across the screen).

I notice on the card, there are 3 pads with an associated silk screen that
shows that there should be a jumper there.  One position is labled 33MHz,
and the other is labled 40MHz.  I am curious...if I solder a jumper where
40MHz operation is indicated, will the card work reliably at 40MHz?

-----

"Golf combines two of Americas favourite passtimes: taking long walks,
 and hitting things with a stick." - P.J. O'Rourke

Post by Marvin Mat » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: 40MHz operation jumper on ATI Mach 32 VLB?
>Date: 9 Aug 1995 00:45:58 GMT
>-----
>I have an ATI Mach 32 VLB video card that I would like to use with a SIS
>chipset based i486DX motherboard.  The card works fine when clocked
>at 33MHz, but when I clock it at 40MHz it periodically has problems (3
>bands of scrambled video across the screen).
>I notice on the card, there are 3 pads with an associated silk screen that
>shows that there should be a jumper there.  One position is labled 33MHz,
>and the other is labled 40MHz.  I am curious...if I solder a jumper where
>40MHz operation is indicated, will the card work reliably at 40MHz?
>-----

>"Golf combines two of Americas favourite passtimes: taking long walks,
> and hitting things with a stick." - P.J. O'Rourke

I tried to use my Mach-32 at 40 MHz and it will not run. When I first got it,
I sent it back to the distributor as being defective. They called me back
to tell me that they found no problem, but replaced the card anyway.

In the manual for the new card, the tech. had hi-lighted the line that
clearly states the card will not run faster than 33 MHz.

The new Mach-32 wouldn't run faster than 33 MHz either.

Marvin