Question: how does Linux handle Parity/ECC errors?

Question: how does Linux handle Parity/ECC errors?

Post by Richard Ma » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am considering getting a Triton II motherboard for ECC memory checking.

Does anyone know if there are any Linux-specific issues about Parity/ECC
memory checking?  In particular, will the system record if there is a memory
error, or will it just crash and give a BIOS error?  Also, is there any way to
verify that memory checking is actually enabled on the system (on both the
hardware and software sides)?

Thank-you for any information,
        Richard.

1. ECC/Parity interrupt handled?

    I have heard that the ECC circuitry on some newer chipsets
    (Such as the Natoma used with the PPro) generate an interrupt
    when a single bit error is corrected. If this is true, how will
    Linux (2.0.x) kernels react to this interrupt?

    E.G. Will a 'parity error corrected' result in an 'unexpected
    interrupt' halt instead of a 'parity error system halted'
    condition of will the kernel go its happy way without ever
    letting me know there was an error?

    thanks,
    hank

--
Hank Barta                              White Oak Software Inc.

                Beautiful Sunny Winfield, Illinois

2. dosemu

3. MEMORY PARITY or ECC ERROR

4. Receive root mail via SMTP ?

5. Linux handling of memory parity error reporting

6. Newbie Mouse question

7. parity error with dos but ok in linux

8. Configure OLITEC PCI 56K V2 Data,Fax Modem

9. Memory Parity Error (NMI handling on AT)

10. ECC vs. parity memory

11. ECC vs parity: Gigabyte 686DX

12. parity, ECC, interleaving, etc.

13. Parity vs. non-parity for linux ??