IP forwarding with a PPP connection ?

Post by Richard Whitcom » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
This question has probably been asked a hundred times but i couldnt
find it...
I am trying to set my linux (Redhat 5) up with PPP dialup using my
modem.
I have a small (mainly windows) network at home and was wondering if
it is possible to have a linux box dial the ISP and connect to the
internet and have the other computers on the network access the
internet through this box.  There is an IP forwarding option on linux,
is this what i need to use or cant it be done ?
If it can be done, where can i find info on doing this bearing in mind
i am VERY new to linux ??

TIA

Please reply via EMAIL to:

ICQ UIN: 1556459
South Wales, UK

IP forwarding with a PPP connection ?

Post by mohaw » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

This is something I have been, half heartedly, trying. I have it working
with a Windows NT Server machine, but, I want to replace the NT server
machine with Linux.

One thing you will need is a group of IP addresses from your ISP, unless
you use some proxy server technology or firewall.

> Hi,
> This question has probably been asked a hundred times but i couldnt
> find it...
> I am trying to set my linux (Redhat 5) up with PPP dialup using my
> modem.
> I have a small (mainly windows) network at home and was wondering if
> it is possible to have a linux box dial the ISP and connect to the
> internet and have the other computers on the network access the
> internet through this box.  There is an IP forwarding option on linux,
> is this what i need to use or cant it be done ?
> If it can be done, where can i find info on doing this bearing in mind
> i am VERY new to linux ??

> TIA

> Please reply via EMAIL to:

> ICQ UIN: 1556459
> South Wales, UK

IP forwarding with a PPP connection ?

Post by Richard D. McRober » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 28 May 1998 18:15:21 GMT, Richard Whitcombe

>I have a small (mainly windows) network at home and was wondering if
>it is possible to have a linux box dial the ISP and connect to the
>internet and have the other computers on the network access the
>internet through this box.  There is an IP forwarding option on
>linux, is this what i need to use or cant it be done ?

Yes, IP forwarding is part of it.  What you want to do is called
"IP Masquerading".  There is a mini-HOWTO on it; with RH 5.0, be
sure you have installed the howto package.

Hope this helps.

--
Richard D. McRoberts
Loveland, Colorado USA

Post by Claude Riet » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

> There is an IP forwarding option on linux,
> is this what i need to use or cant it be done ?

It can be done, but masquerading needs to be enabled and compiled into the
kernel.

Check Linux Masquerade Mini How To, if you have the ppp to your ISP
working, it should be quit straightforward, even with dial on demand.

Post by Nick Birket » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,
> This question has probably been asked a hundred times but i couldnt
> find it...
> I am trying to set my linux (Redhat 5) up with PPP dialup using my
> modem.
> I have a small (mainly windows) network at home and was wondering if
> it is possible to have a linux box dial the ISP and connect to the
> internet and have the other computers on the network access the
> internet through this box.  There is an IP forwarding option on linux,
> is this what i need to use or cant it be done ?
> If it can be done, where can i find info on doing this bearing in mind
> i am VERY new to linux ??

> TIA

> Please reply via EMAIL to:

> ICQ UIN: 1556459
> South Wales, UK

Networking is the very strong point in Linux .

  See the howto guide :

http://doc.rmplc.co.uk/linux/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html

(and at all other LDP Mirrors) .

1. IP Forwarding to PPP Connection

I am trying to configure my Linux PC to route traffic from an Ethernet port
to serial port which has PPP connection via modem.  I can ping to the other
PC and I can see the traffic coming in at the Ethernet port (using ifconfig
command).  I issue the following 'route add' command after establishing the
PPP connection:

# route add -net 172.16.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.0.2.2

where 172.16.1.0 subnet of the destination address of packets generated
      10.0.2.2 the IP address of the other PC (client)
      10.0.2.1 the IP address of the PC I am trying to configure to do
               IP forwarding.

I have changed the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward to 1 and the FORWARD_IPV4
to yes.

Let me know if you have idea to fix my problem.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Marc

2. Hi how can I make a full baukup to linux..?

3. IP Forwarding with Dial on Demand (DIALD) PPP Connection

4. HELP!! setup slip or ppp connection

5. IP Forwarding problem from PPP connection

6. stop filtering print jobs

7. IP forwarding from PPP connection

8. Netscape hangs during startup

9. 3 PC Network, 1 ppp connection to internet - IP Forwarding???

10. Solved: Help with ip forwarding (TCP/IP 1.2.0, PPP):

11. Help with ip forwarding (TCP/IP 1.2.0, PPP)

12. IP forwarding is only good for port forwarding of only one IP ?

13. tcp/ip LAN IPs and dynamic IP ppp connections....