Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

Post by Linh C. Nguye » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

The Disk Manager software that comes with very large EIDE hard drive
wipe off the Master Boot Record (MBR) and inserted the DDO code in the
MBR.  Linux doesn't need the DDO.  Linux can access all the hard drive..
But the proble is the Linux lilo need to write something in the MBR
in order to boot Linux from hard drive.  If the Disk Manager is not
installed, then DOS or NT can't access all the hard drive and Linux lilo
can't boot either from boot sector..

Right now, I have to use linload from dos parition (after bootup
from DOS) to boot Linux.

Anyone have the solution??

--
Linh C. Nguyen

++++++++++++++++

Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

Post by Bernd Hent » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>The Disk Manager software that comes with very large EIDE hard drive
>wipe off the Master Boot Record (MBR) and inserted the DDO code in the
>MBR.  Linux doesn't need the DDO.  Linux can access all the hard drive..
>But the proble is the Linux lilo need to write something in the MBR
>in order to boot Linux from hard drive.  If the Disk Manager is not
>installed, then DOS or NT can't access all the hard drive and Linux lilo
>can't boot either from boot sector..

>Right now, I have to use linload from dos parition (after bootup
>from DOS) to boot Linux.

>Anyone have the solution??

If you have the Disk Manager that comes with some WD HDs: it's a piece
of junk and has no reason to exist (except your motherboard's BIOS is
very old and doesn't support booting from sector 2^63).

What I did was to "reformat" the disk, then reinstall DOS/Win to the
first partition (/dev/hda1) and install Linux to a partition beginning
withing the first 512 MByte. While installing Linux, I inserted an
entry for the first DOS partition and wrote a new MBR. Now lilo comes
up at boot time and I may boot Win or Linux on request.

Accessing a linux partition from Win95/NT is mostly a bad idea -
the other way round (writing files to your DOS C: partition from linux)
is much better. That way you don't need to access the Linux partition(s)
from software that doesn't know how to do this properly.

Bernd

|Parkstr. 10                    |Fon: +49 3335 3233 0       |
|D-16244 Finowfurt (Germany)    |FAX: +49 3335 3233 1       |

Post by David Sla » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> The Disk Manager software that comes with very large EIDE hard drive
> wipe off the Master Boot Record (MBR) and inserted the DDO code in the
> MBR.  Linux doesn't need the DDO.  Linux can access all the hard drive..
> But the proble is the Linux lilo need to write something in the MBR
> in order to boot Linux from hard drive.  If the Disk Manager is not
> installed, then DOS or NT can't access all the hard drive and Linux lilo
> can't boot either from boot sector..

> Right now, I have to use linload from dos parition (after bootup
> from DOS) to boot Linux.

> Anyone have the solution??

I have the same situation as you, why not just use a boot floppy to kick
your Linux into life.  Then the Diskmanager MBR is not affected at all, just
insert your Linux Boot disk every time you want your machine to boot into
Linux.  Lilo just installs onto the MBR of the floppy and not the Harddisk,
once the MBR has been read control is almost immediately transfered to your
hard disk which is where it then loads your selected Kernel from.

David

David Slack, Basys Display Systems

WWW : http://www.basyscg.demon.co.uk

Post by John Chaffe » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> >The Disk Manager software that comes with very large EIDE hard drive
> >wipe off the Master Boot Record (MBR) ...etcThen Bernd write:
> If you have the Disk Manager that comes with some WD HDs: it's a piece
> of junk and has no reason to exist (except your motherboard's BIOS is
> very old and doesn't support booting from sector 2^63).

> Bernd
> --

I have a different opinion. I have been using DiskManager for 3 years,
it works very well indeed.
Bernd must be very young to imagine that a Motherboard BIOS less than
3 yrs old is "Very Old". That is the case with my 486DX2-66, vintage
1993 late. If that is "old", then many, many people have "old"
computers.
Suggest Bernd read his posts before posting them.
jrc

Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

Post by C.S. Whit » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

(This is my first usenet post, so please forgive any breech of
protocol.)
Another solution, if you are not shy about spending a little
extra cash, is an OS manager called System Commander by
VCommunications (I think). It is available in many magazines
(including Linux Journal). I use it with my system and it works
fine. I have installed currently on my computer DOS 6.22, Windows
3.1, WFW 3.11, Win 95, Win NT 3.51, OS2 4.0 and Linux. My 1st
physical disk is a 2GB IDE w/ OnTrack DM. At boot-up the OnTrack
loads and offers an option to boot from floppy, then System
Commander loads and offers a menu of installed OS's. Pick one and
System Commander loads the corect info to the MBR and launches
the OS.

--
C.S. "Tray" White

Linux lilo work with OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO) ??

Post by Kevin Kram » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

First, I just read in two docs that any kernel of linux greater than
1.3.x or 1.3.18 does not support the use of a disk drive overlay.  Are you
running a supposedly unsupported kernel?  I'm asking because I am trying
to load linux on a system with such an overlay.  My ftp'd copy of Linux
loads to the point of complaining about lack of bios lba, then crashes
with error codes.

Second, for the current version of linux available via ftp, lilo does not
need to load to the mbr.   During install, an option is offered to place
lilo at the start of the linux partition.  I know this to be true because
lilo, disk manager overlay, and os2 boot manager all coexist on my
system allowing win95, os2 and linux to boot.  That is if linux would
complete the boot process :-)

I'd like to hear from anyone who knows if a recent kernel of linux can
coexist with a hard drive overlay.

: The Disk Manager software that comes with very large EIDE hard drive
: wipe off the Master Boot Record (MBR) and inserted the DDO code in the
: MBR.  Linux doesn't need the DDO.  Linux can access all the hard drive..
: But the proble is the Linux lilo need to write something in the MBR
: in order to boot Linux from hard drive.  If the Disk Manager is not
: installed, then DOS or NT can't access all the hard drive and Linux lilo
: can't boot either from boot sector..

: Right now, I have to use linload from dos parition (after bootup
: from DOS) to boot Linux.

: Anyone have the solution??

: --
: Linh C. Nguyen

: ++++++++++++++++

1. Ontrack DDO and LILO

Hi,

I've got two drives on my machine. The master drive is running Win95
and has the Ontrack Dynamic Drive Overlay software v.9.4.5 installed
on it. The slave drive is currently blank and I intend installing
Redhat 5.2 on it. I was intending to perform a workstation class
installation but I see that this will automatically install LILO. Will
installing LILO mess up my DDO? Is it better to do a Redhat custom
installation and boot from a boot floppy disk?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Calum.
--
==
Calum Robertson

2. HELP!! Linux server behind firewall

3. LILO and OnTrack Disk Manager Woes

4. How to prevent remote login access?

5. Ontrack Disk Manager 7 and Lilo

6. CDE login hangs on AIX 4.3.1

7. Large Hard Disk With Ontrack Disk Manager

8. aix error code 0c45

9. Linux and Ontrack Disk Manager

10. #HELP# WD 1.2G+ontrack disk manager=Linux OR dos !!

11. OnTrack Disk Manager / Linux

12. Ontrack Disk Manager with Linux

13. Win95+Linux: Partitioning using Ontrack Disk Manager