USB Storage & Mounting Read-Write

Post by Bigb » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:30:18

I have a digital camera with a smartmedia card that can be connected via
USB.  I can mount it via the following command:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera/toshiba

Now, when I do this I get the following line:

mount: block device /dev/sda1 is write-protected, mounting read-only

At this point, the USB Storage mounts fine and I can copy the files over,
but I obviouly cannot delete them because of the read-only.  How do I get
it to mount read-only.  I had it writable before, but I've formatted.  Here
is some useful information:
/dev/sda1 has 660 permission (root:camera)
/mnt/camera/toshiba has 660 permission (root:camera)

I am trying to first get this to work using root, I can figure the rest out
later.

USB Storage & Mounting Read-Write

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:31:33

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:30:18 -0000, Bigby staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:>I have a digital camera with a smartmedia card that can be connected
>via USB.  I can mount it via the following command:

>mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera/toshiba

>Now, when I do this I get the following line:

>mount: block device /dev/sda1 is write-protected, mounting read-only

>At this point, the USB Storage mounts fine and I can copy the files
>over, but I obviouly cannot delete them because of the read-only.  How
>do I get it to mount read-only.  I had it writable before, but I've
>formatted.  Here I am trying to first get this to work using root, I
>can figure the rest out later.

Add the following line to your /etc/fstab :

/dev/sda1   /mnt/camera/toshiba   auto   noauto,user,ro   0   0

The "auto" means that the filesystem type (probably FAT, but ICBW) will
be determined automagically whenever someone tries to mount the device.
The "noauto" means that the device will not be mounted automatically at
boot time.  The "user" means that an ordinary user can mount the device.
The "ro" means "mount this device read-only".

Via the command line:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera/toshiba -o ro

HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

Post by Bigb » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 08:30:21

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:30:18 -0000, Bigby staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:
> >I have a digital camera with a smartmedia card that can be connected
> >via USB.  I can mount it via the following command:

> >mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera/toshiba

> >Now, when I do this I get the following line:

> >mount: block device /dev/sda1 is write-protected, mounting read-only

> >At this point, the USB Storage mounts fine and I can copy the files
> >over, but I obviouly cannot delete them because of the read-only.  How
> >do I get it to mount read-only.  I had it writable before, but I've
> >formatted.  Here I am trying to first get this to work using root, I
> >can figure the rest out later.

> Add the following line to your /etc/fstab :

> /dev/sda1   /mnt/camera/toshiba   auto   noauto,user,ro   0   0

> The "auto" means that the filesystem type (probably FAT, but ICBW) will
> be determined automagically whenever someone tries to mount the device.
> The "noauto" means that the device will not be mounted automatically at
> boot time.  The "user" means that an ordinary user can mount the device.
> The "ro" means "mount this device read-only".

> Via the command line:

> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera/toshiba -o ro

> HTH,

> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
> http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
> -----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

I messed up above and forgot one "not".  I am trying to mount the camera
read-write.  It will not let me.  I've done it before, I just cannot
remember how.  sda1 is read-write for root and when root mounts it, it
still mounts read-only.

Sorry