I need help with RedHat and my new hardware

I need help with RedHat and my new hardware

Post by micha » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I cannot compile since I upgraded my system.  I also had tremendous problems
just reinstalling after the upgrade.

My new hardware:

Shuttle HOT-565 motherboard
Pentium 100 Processor
Diamond 3D 2000 Pro (4MB)
32MB SDRAM
Buslogic 946C
I am running the bus at 75MHz.

I am using RedHat 4.2.

During the install I would have crashes that would cleanly exit.
Using glint I would have lockups.

Using gcc to compile anything, I get internal cc1 errors.

I have class projects to complete and am getting desparate.

Please help, Michael

--

NASA/MSFC/ED23          Huntsville AL 35812
(205) 544-1544          FAX: (205) 544-3554

Post by tafer.. » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> just reinstalling after the upgrade.

> My new hardware:

> Shuttle HOT-565 motherboard
> Pentium 100 Processor
> Diamond 3D 2000 Pro (4MB)
> 32MB SDRAM
> Buslogic 946C
> I am running the bus at 75MHz.

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:> I am using RedHat 4.2.

> During the install I would have crashes that would cleanly exit.
> Using glint I would have lockups.

> Using gcc to compile anything, I get internal cc1 errors.

And you are still asking why your system is unstable ?
Seems like one of your components is not able to run the 75MHz
on the PCI bus. Maybe the Rams. Try swapping the Rams if you
can.

Ensure that your system has fine cooling.

--Stefan

Post by Hans » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I cannot compile since I upgraded my system.  I also had tremendous problems
> just reinstalling after the upgrade.

> My new hardware:

> Shuttle HOT-565 motherboard
> Pentium 100 Processor
> Diamond 3D 2000 Pro (4MB)
> 32MB SDRAM
> Buslogic 946C
> I am running the bus at 75MHz.

> I am using RedHat 4.2.

> During the install I would have crashes that would cleanly exit.
> Using glint I would have lockups.

> Using gcc to compile anything, I get internal cc1 errors.

> I have class projects to complete and am getting desparate.

> Please help, Michael

> --

> NASA/MSFC/ED23             Huntsville AL 35812
> (205) 544-1544             FAX: (205) 544-3554

Sounds like your system just won't cope with the 75 Mhz busspeed tried
switching it to 66 Mhz, you are after all overclocking your mb, all your
pci cards and your cpu. Internal gcc errors (sig 11) are very common for
systems having memory or cpu problems, just try switching it to 1.5 x 66
what it should run at and all should be well ;)

With kind regards,

Hans