PCA70SB soundcard only play 8 bits

Post by j » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

PCA70SB soundcard only play 8 bits (philips)
with linux

Is it possible to play 16 bits mp3 with xconfig

thank in advance

1. Solo1 soundcard plays but won't record

System: Asus A7V133 motherboard (no onboard audio), Athlon 800, 128 MB
SDRAM, RedHat 7.0 (kernel 2.2.16-22).

Soundcard: ESS Solo1, PCI.

When I first brought up the system, the soundcard was detected by
sndconfig, but then it says "not supported" (?!). Debugging other stuff I
discovered I had told the BIOS "PnP-OS=YES" -- changing it to NO made
the other stuff better, and sndconfig found the card and did not complain.

I can play .wav and .mp3 just fine. But when I try to record
        rec test.wav
the process hangs -- ^C won't dislodge it, but kill from another window
will. test.wav is 0 length. In the log I see a mysterious message about
"solo1: cannot start recording, DDMA mask bit stuck at 1".

        In esssolo1.c I see a reference to this, but cannot decipher
        it. There seems to be a kludge related to this in the driver
        -- perhaps the kluge doesn't work for recent boards?

Looking at /proc/ioports it is clear that this card is NOT emulating a
soundblaster (port 220 unused).

Does anybody know what I should try next? Or what (cheap) PCI soundcard I
should replace it with....

2. HP swagentd app?

3. Soundcard play *.au and *.wav files, but not from CD rom

4. Corel Linux

5. Soundcard - plays but does not record

6. newbie need help: network drops

7. trying to get plug & play soundcard to work...

8. Netscape Communicator colors

9. Using soundcard's dsp to play audio CDs

10. Soundcard Problem (CAN'T PLAY MIDI FILES)

11. How to configure ESS688 soundcard to play mp3 files under SUSE 7.0

12. Alsa: How do I make my soundcard playing...?

13. playing CDs through soundcard/speakers