PCI memory-mapped internal modem: can't get it to work

PCI memory-mapped internal modem: can't get it to work

Post by Dong Hoon Van Uytse » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have tried to set up the internal modem of my Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop
for Linux, but had no luck so far. In the Hardware-Howto I found a list of
modems that are not supported, among which "most internal modems in recent
notebook models".

The reason is that these modems are "PCI memory-mapped devices" (what does
this mean?) and that their operation under Windows relies on a virtual
device driver (VxD), which emulates it as a serial port (typically COM2 or
COM3). I have been juggling around with changing IRQ, port addresses and
setserial's, but none of my attempts brought me one step further.

Is there anyone that had the same problem and fixed it? Or do you know of
any development efforts in that field?

-- Dong Hoon Van Uytsel

PCI memory-mapped internal modem: can't get it to work

Post by dario molinar » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have the same problem. But more important question is: are Linux programmers
>trying to accuse new technologies/devices as non-programmable as it sounds in
>their explanations about the internal modems?

>Very curious to see what will happen!

The beauty of Linux is that anybody can create their drivers! Feel free
to reverse engineer your modem and write your own driver (not too hard
for a Senior System Engineer with an M.Sc. in Computer Science).
Sadly most Linux programmers "work for free" (an oximoron in my humble
opinion), thus they write code when they want, how they want and if they
want. You can obviously send an email to a Linux vendor asking to
support your modem if you want (as long as you are a registered user)
On top of that, the Winmodem business is a scam to sell cheaper hardware
that can only be supported by M$:
cheaper hardware = more profit for modem maufacturer
Win only driver  = more sales for M$

Regards

P.S. I never wrote one line of code but I totally support and admire
people that work for free and for making me having so much fun with
Linux since 1993
--
Dario Molinari
I.T. Department

1. PCI memory mapped card : memory gets overwritten

Hi !!
    I am developing a Linux driver for one memory mapped network card (all
command and status registers are mapped in memory)and it is operating very
well.. means Tx and Rx working very well. But whenever I
go in X.. ( start X ) .. the driver operations stops.
    I have used ioremap ( afterwards changed to ioremap_nocache... as I read
in the kernel sources that it is more suitable when we are using mapped
memory for Command and status registers ).
    When the driver operation starts I can see that the memory mapped
register's contents are changed/overwritten by somebody AS SOON AS I do
startx .
why can this happen? Should I set it somehow ) as read-only to other
arts( Xwindows..etc)??..Is this the
problem??.. While in X Windows , does some memory mapping or any great
change in virtual memory organization??..

--Vikram

ELABORATION::
More elaborated card operation is like this.. card gives me memory address
to access it I ioremap it .. I get another memory address and I start
interacting with card.. it works great !! until I start X..

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
 Before you buy.

2. Offtopic

3. PCI modem, internal pci modem question

4. Checking hard disk space

5. Getting internal modem to work

6. Simple AVR (Atmel) programmer driver

7. Has anyone gotten Toshiba internal modem to work?

8. Finding modeline for 1152x864 for Sony 17sf/Matrox Millennium

9. Getting Internal Modem on Toshiba 720CDT to work

10. Why don`t work one modem 56k internal PCI in Linux?

11. u.s.robotics 5610b internal pci modem works with freebsd 4.5!

12. Internal PCI modems. Do they work under linux?