Intel L440GX+

Post by Mike » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a Linux server up and running on a Dual PIII-800 with
a pair of IBM Ultrastar lvd SCSI drives. The board is an L440GX+ with an
on-board Adaptec SCSI chipset. (AIC-7896)
(Sadly, it's not my desktop machine)

Now everything I've seen on this newsgroup seems to indicate that this
shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, every distribution and driver
I've attempted has frozen the machine while probing the SCSI. Thus far
I've tried RedHat 6.2, Caldera 3.0 (I think, I don't have the disk in
front of me), and Mandrake 6.1. I've also tried RedHat 6.2 with a driver
downloaded off their FTP server, though I don't know that that was
actually any different from the driver on the CD.

Is there anything I might have missed? Is there any chance that the
driver works on ultra wide but not Ultra2/LVD drives? (There are two
on-board SCSI connectors, and we're only using the Ultra2/LVD one.) I'm
particularly curious about this because after a failed installation, a
soft reboot fails, with an error negotiating wide SCSI (or something
like that). I probably should have written that error down, now that I
think about it.

I'm relatively new to SCSI - is there anything I should look at first?

Ah yes, and the machine works with other OS's, so the problem doesn't
seem to be faulty hardware.

--
mjo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Intel L440GX+

Post by sjarc.. » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi there,
> I'm trying to get a Linux server up and running on a Dual PIII-800 with
> a pair of IBM Ultrastar lvd SCSI drives. The board is an L440GX+ with an
> on-board Adaptec SCSI chipset. (AIC-7896)
> (Sadly, it's not my desktop machine)
> Now everything I've seen on this newsgroup seems to indicate that this
> shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, every distribution and driver
> I've attempted has frozen the machine while probing the SCSI. Thus far
> I've tried RedHat 6.2, Caldera 3.0 (I think, I don't have the disk in
> front of me), and Mandrake 6.1. I've also tried RedHat 6.2 with a driver
> downloaded off their FTP server, though I don't know that that was
> actually any different from the driver on the CD.

I'm not sure if it help, but AFAIK for CPU speed over 550 MHz Intel designed
Lancewood motherboard with codename L440GXC (GX+, loaded with 550 MHz CPUs,
working great at my site).
So I suggest you try to run this mobo with "smaller" CPUs. You may also try
to run it with single processor.

Sergiusz

Intel L440GX+

Post by Mike » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> I'm not sure if it help, but AFAIK for CPU speed over 550 MHz Intel
designed
> Lancewood motherboard with codename L440GXC (GX+, loaded with 550 MHz
CPUs,
> working great at my site).
> So I suggest you try to run this mobo with "smaller" CPUs. You may
also try
> to run it with single processor.

This is an interesting point - I'm running a later model L440GX+, which
does support 600+ speed processors. Intel technical advisory TA-224-1
seems to explain it. Would Intel have changed anything else in the
L440GX+ when they were tinkering with the voltage regulation module?

cheers,
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Any problems with AcceleRAID 352 and Intel L440GX+ ?

I'm planning an intranet server
for running Redhat Linux 6.2, a Oracle database and samba
for filesharing.

One possible solution is:

MAINBOARD:      Intel L440GX+ Lancewood
RAID:           Mylex AcceleRAID 352 (2 Channel)
HD:             2 Seagate SCSI 68 pin 36740MB Ultra160 (in RAID 1)
MEM:            512 MB RAM
CPU:            2 Intel Slot 1 PIII 800E Mhz
CABINET:        Intel Server SC5000 Hudson Hot-Swap
                with 2*350W Redundant Power

Has anyone experienced any problems running the Mylex AcceleRAID 352
with the L440GX+ motherboard ? Or can anyone confirm that
this combination works ?

Thanks
Christian

2. Remote Script Execution

3. RH7.2 freezing on Intel L440GX+ box

4. subroutine/function not called

5. Drivers for Intel L440GX+ video (Cirrus Logic)

6. Speak at the TESTING COMPUTER SOFTWARE '98 Conference!

7. Intel L440GX+ Redhat 8 Problems

8. Ipmasqurading and routing

9. Intel L440GX+ MB & FreeBSD

10. Intel L440GX+ MB + FreeBSD = ?

11. Can't do a Shutdown on an Intel L440GX+ board?

12. Intel L440GX+ Redhat 8 Problems

13. OSR5, Intel L440GX+ and processors faster than 500Mhz