SMC 1211TX PCI ethernet in linux

Post by John Thomps » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I need help making the SMC 1211TX "EzCard" PCI ethernet adaptor
in my new machine work.  Linux (RH v5.1, kernel 2.0.34) flatly
refuses to recognize it.  Searching dejanews revealed only one
marginally pertinent article with vague references to making some
unspecified changes to Space.c and replacing ne.c with rtl8139.c
I can do the later but have no idea what changes to make in
Space.c.  Anybody here able to make this card work for them?

Thanks...

Post by John Thomps » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>> I need help making the SMC 1211TX "EzCard" PCI ethernet adaptor
>> in my new machine work.  Linux (RH v5.1, kernel 2.0.34) flatly
>> refuses to recognize it.  Searching dejanews revealed only one
>> marginally pertinent article with vague references to making some
>> unspecified changes to Space.c and replacing ne.c with rtl8139.c
>> I can do the later but have no idea what changes to make in
>> Space.c.  Anybody here able to make this card work for them?
>I saw the same article, and had the same problem with RH v5.2 claiming the
>device was busy...

>However, I tried updating the rtl8139.c driver to version 1.4, and now the
>card works great (RH v5.2 ships with version 0.99B).

>The latest version is available at
>http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.c

I got the source, compiled it as a module but it still doesn't
want to work.  Did you need to make any changes to Space.c as the
original author apparently did?  Do you need some parameters to
pass to the module when it loads?  I see in my /var/log/messages
that the card is now apparently being recognized, but I still get
these modprobe errors "can't locate module net-pf-5" and netstat
-r doesn't show the eth0 interface.  I have this machine as
192.168.0.2 and my other machine as 192.168.0.1 and it seems to
work with OS/2 and Win98 but not linux (yet).  I'm still pretty
new at this so forgive me if the answer seems obvious...

1. SMC 1211TX EzCard PCI ethernet in linux

I need help making the SMC 1211TX "EzCard" PCI ethernet adaptor
in my new machine work.  Linux (RH v5.1, kernel 2.0.34) flatly
refuses to recognize it.  Searching dejanews revealed only one
maginally pertinent article with vague references to making some
unspecified changes to Space.c and replacing ne.c with rtl8139.c
I can do the later but have no idea what changes to make in
Space.c.  Anybody here able to make this card work for them?

Thanks...

2. hard-disc access detection

3. RH 5.2 & SMC 1211TX PCI Ethernet Card

5. Linux does not work with SMC 1211tx PCI nic card

6. ufsdump, tar: many tapes

7. smc pci combo ethernet card, linux compatible?

8. restricting users to his own directory.

9. SMC dual-ethernet PCI for Linux?

10. SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

11. SMC 1211TX Drivers

12. can't get 8139too to work with SMC 1211TX

13. SMC 1211TX and Mandrake 6.5