Multiple PCI Ethernet Cards in Elder Compaq

Multiple PCI Ethernet Cards in Elder Compaq

Post by Matt Fuers » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hello all,

Here's the situation. I am setting up a machine that eventually is going to
server as a PFR. Right now I just want to get an install on it and working, and
then pare down and get it ready for it's filtering functions.

The machine itself is a elder Compaq Mini-tower, Pentium 60, with two PCI
slots. (Exact model number on request). I installed an ethernet card and did a
ftp install of RH 6.2.. all went well. I have got ssh on the machine and all
the goodies that I want. I then went ahead and installed another PCI ethernet
card. This is the exact same ethernet card that is in the first slot (potential
problem #1 - the card by the way is some knockoff that identifies itslef as an
Intel Pro/100, I don't think it's a genuine Intel card but it may be). I boot
up, Kudzu finds the card and ID's it properly as being the same as the other
card.

/etc/sysconfig/hwconf correctly lists both of the cards:

-
class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth
driver: eepro100
desc: "Intel Corporation|82557 [Ethernet Pro 100]"
vendorId: 8086
deviceId: 1229
pciType: 1
-
class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth
driver: eepro100
desc: "Intel Corporation|82557 [Ethernet Pro 100]"
vendorId: 8086
deviceId: 1229
pciType: 1
-

but when I run ifconfig, I get the following:

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:90:27:75:29:82
          inet addr:10.1.1.18  Bcast:10.1.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:1 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe000

and the lookback device.

No eth0. So I run an "ifconfig eth0 10.1.1.19 broadcast 10.1.1.255 netmask
255.255.255.0" command and get back "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily
unavailable". What a pain.

So I wonder what the problem may be? This is one of the first models to have
PCI slots, is it possible it is not giving me an IRQ? Or a proper IRQ? That
makes sense on one level but on another Kudzu is finding the card properly, so
it must be able to identify it, and communicate with it.

I run linuxconf and it has both entries for eth0 and eth1, but it has eth0
turned off. When I choose enable, nothing happens.

Any ideas? I am grasping at straws... maybe removing both cards and restarting
will allow the Compaq to reassign IRQ's after I reinstall both cards at once?
That is a pretty slim chance. I sure hope you have a better idea.

Matt Fuerst

Multiple PCI Ethernet Cards in Elder Compaq

Post by Matt Fuers » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

To just follow up on my own posting...

I am now totally certain that it is a problem with regards to the Bus Mastering
capabilities of the PCI Slot on the motherboard.

I have toyed with /etc/conf.modules and passed it the IRQ and Memory addresses
of both ethernet cards, as I got from my BIOS, and still no luck, I get an
error in dmesg that says to make sure I have a Bus Mastering available. I also
tried to pass the commands via the LILO route as in:

lilo: linux ether=11,0x1000,eth0 ether=9,0x7000,eth1

which would boot and bring up eth1 but eth0 would stay down with the
"Temporarily Unavailable" error.

How aggrevating. I don't think it is worth even any more time.. I am betting if
I can get my hands on a "non-Bus Mastering" PCI Ethernet card my problem will
get solved very quickly. Hints, tips? Anyone know of such a beasty?

Matt

> [...]

>and the lookback device.

>No eth0. So I run an "ifconfig eth0 10.1.1.19 broadcast 10.1.1.255 netmask
>255.255.255.0" command and get back "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily
>unavailable". What a pain.

>So I wonder what the problem may be? This is one of the first models to have
>PCI slots, is it possible it is not giving me an IRQ? Or a proper IRQ? That
>makes sense on one level but on another Kudzu is finding the card properly, so
>it must be able to identify it, and communicate with it.

>I run linuxconf and it has both entries for eth0 and eth1, but it has eth0
>turned off. When I choose enable, nothing happens.

>Any ideas? I am grasping at straws... maybe removing both cards and restarting
>will allow the Compaq to reassign IRQ's after I reinstall both cards at once?
>That is a pretty slim chance. I sure hope you have a better idea.

1. PCI ethernet card shares irq with PCI scsi card

Hallo,

I've got a problem getting my network up and running.
When I want to put my eth0 up (compex PCI card using ne2k-pci) I got a
siocsifflafs:try again error. I found out that it had something to do with
irq's. A cat /proc/interrupts shows me that the PCI NCR810 scsi card was on
that IRQ. In windows everything works fine, so I figured linux could do it
to.
I did some research and found that the scsi driver needed some modifications
(something with SA_INTTERUPTS that need to be remnoved). I tried it, but it
failed (compilor errors). Can someone help me out on this on?

changing irq's isn't possble, since I dont have that option in my BIOS and
besides, I dont have any other free IRQ left...    Please help!

Vincent

2. Advice on Computer System

3. Multiple ethernet cards on PCI running Mklinux

4. quota logging?

5. Numbering of interfaces for multiple pci ethernet cards

6. Help with modules - Please !!!

7. How to setup multiple PCI ethernet cards?

8. Problems with set up

9. Multiple PCI ethernet cards.

10. Multiple PCI Ethernet Cards

11. Machine with multiple ethernet cards to Ethernet Switch (SS20/2.5)

12. Using Ethernet PCI Card instead of built in ethernet

13. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI controller; AMD 79C970 PCI ethernet card