fixed frequency monitor

Post by roger_wilco_6 » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

hi there,

I have an 6 year old    spea (sony) gdm 1963 he    fixed frequency monitor,
which
I'd like to hook to my linux workstation (standart vga).  Unfortunately, I
don't have a technical reference.  Anyone out there who has done that before
with positive results?
The monitor has bnc - terminals at it's back, rgb and two sync, but can also
operated via sync on green.
If I can't manage to connect it to the vga, I have the option to install the
spea grafitti, which originally came with the monitor, and have a two screen
(one for X, one for text) solution.  Does anybody know if linux can be
configured to that constellation?

Grateful for every resonance,

Mark

fixed frequency monitor

Post by Mike » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 18:12:38 +0200,

>hi there,

>I have an 6 year old    spea (sony) gdm 1963 he    fixed frequency monitor,
>which
>I'd like to hook to my linux workstation (standart vga).  Unfortunately, I
>don't have a technical reference.  Anyone out there who has done that before
>with positive results?
>The monitor has bnc - terminals at it's back, rgb and two sync, but can also
>operated via sync on green.

Many fixed frequency CAD monitors used 64kHz horiz./60 Hz vert.. Try to
verify this. Then setup a modeline for your vga board (should provide
clock frequencies of at least 80MHz for above mentioned monitor), that
leads to refresh rates as near as possible to the specs.

Use a multisync to make sure your modeline makes sense, then attach
your sony and look what happens. Quite probably there are some trimmers
on the back side or under the cover to adjust details; use xvidtune if
that is not enough.

When you got it working, try to switch the monitor off, wait a minute,
then switch it on again to verify that it synchronizes itself,

When you are content, change the default runlevel so that your machine
gives you a graphical login screen. Voila, there you are.

It is possible, i assure you. I tried it.

Good luck.

--
Where do they want you to go today ?

1. Fixed Frequency Monitors?

        Hello.  I've been trying to find information on using fixed
frequency monitors with XFree86.  Does anyone have any information
regarding the use of such monitors with XF86?
        I would really like to know if anyone has managed to do this
without using a Photon of Mirage card.
        Any information that you can provide (especially technical
information) would be appreciated.
        Also, if you have information regarding companies other than
Photon or Mirage that produce video cards for fixed frequency monitors,
please tell me.
        Thank you very much.
        - Peter Federighi

ps: since i'm not posting from my account, my email address is:

--

float o=0.075,h=1.5,T,r,O,l,I;int _,L=80,s=3200;main(void){for(;s%L||
(h-=o,T=-2),s;4-(r=O*O)<(l=I*I)|++_==L&&write(1,(--s%L?_<L?--_%6:6:7)

2. pcsp sound driver

3. Seting up video for a fixed frequency monitor

4. screen garbage post - X

5. How do you set up Xfree86 for Fixed Frequency Monitors

6. kvm_read: Bad address (help?)

7. Multimonitor w/ fixed-frequency monitor.

8. date & time comparison in shell programming

9. Fixed Frequency Monitor - Success!

10. Sony GDM1932 fixed frequency monitor & Matrox Mystique

11. X and Sony 17" fixed frequency monitor (badged Sun)

12. How do you setup XFree86 for Fixed Frequency Monitors?

13. Hitachi CM2073A Fixed Frequency Monitor