Promise RAID is possible

Post by stevehardy1.. » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

As far as I can tell (I don't have one myself),
the promise FastTrak 66 works like this: It's, in
the end, just an ata66 card, but has a bios that
enables a real-mode driver so the booting system
sees the raid-array as one drive. As soon as
Windows boots, the real-mode drivers are thrown
out and the windows drivers kick in. So surely it
shouldn't be too difficult to do this in Linux,
as you can access the drives in the RAID simply
through hda and hdb ... it sounds like a
new 'format' for md to recognise? That would make
it possible for you to run the whole system off a
software raid (lilo uses the bios so it CAN use
the on-board software of the fasttrak66).

(or is it me -> is there a way to load your
kernel off a software RAID?)

Come to think if it you could build this setup by
putting such a raid bios on an old network card
bootrom ......

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Promise RAID is possible

Post by mst » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> As far as I can tell (I don't have one myself),
> the promise FastTrak 66 works like this: It's, in
> the end, just an ata66 card, but has a bios that
> enables a real-mode driver so the booting system
> sees the raid-array as one drive. As soon as
> Windows boots, the real-mode drivers are thrown
> out and the windows drivers kick in. So surely it
> shouldn't be too difficult to do this in Linux,
> as you can access the drives in the RAID simply
> through hda and hdb ... it sounds like a
> new 'format' for md to recognise? That would make
> it possible for you to run the whole system off a
> software raid (lilo uses the bios so it CAN use
> the on-board software of the fasttrak66).

> (or is it me -> is there a way to load your
> kernel off a software RAID?)

Yes there is: see the Root-RAID-HOWTO

Actually, I seem to remember the Promise-UATA66 and the Fasttrack66
physically different: there was an article on Slashdot a few months
back, complete with pictures, on how to turn the one into the other.
Here it is:

MST

Promise RAID is possible

Post by stevehardy1.. » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hmm ok so you can load the kernel off the first drive in the RAID, but
the redundancy is kind of lost here, is there a way to have total
redundancy ? (also at boot-time)

ie. if hda's bootsector fails, fall back to hdb boot. I suppose you
could put lilo on the second disk, but you'd have to rely on the BIOS
booting from hdb when hda fails. How reliable is that?

btw I have since found a nice hardware solution also (here in holland),
a simple ata66 raid1 module that fits nicely into 2 5.25" bays and
provides hardware redundancy for around $300, inclusive 2 removable hdd
caddies (CRS1003 http://www.procase.nl/ICY_CRS.htm ).