Cirrus Logic CL-GD6420 DRAM detection problem. Help needed

Cirrus Logic CL-GD6420 DRAM detection problem. Help needed

Post by Jean-Louis Thiro » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi Everydody,

I am running Linux on a PCI motherboard, with a CL-GD6420 graphic cards (1Mb).
This cards is fully supported as far as I know.
For some unknown reason, I cannot get it working. It does produce a black
screen when I am using the (right) cl6420 driver.
When using the generic driver, it works but only on the VGA16 server and
with a low resolution. At higher resolution or with the SVGA server,
the result is a bad display with duplication of image. It get worth if I
increase the resolution.
The maximum of pixels I can have is about 425000 with 4bpp (And I have a 19"
monitor, so it can be taken as an acceptable resolution). This rougly
corresponds to 256K of VideoRam.
Of course I tried to force VideoRam detection (as X -probeonly indicates
effectivelly 256k) in the config file, but it did not change anything.
I also tried to add MemBase with many adresses, but with no results.
scanpci does not run correctly (it scratches and I have to hard reset).

Any idea ???

Thank you if you can help me.

PS: to be complete, I must tell does the clmode.exe dos utility does only
detect 512k DRAM on the card. I don't know how reliable is clmode, and still,
512 is not 256k. Moreover, why the generic driver does work but not the cl6420
?

1. Cirrus Logic GD6420 SVGA Chipset X Problems

I am using a TI Travelmate 4000E in a docking station to run Linux.  It
works well, except that I cannot use the SVGA X setup.  It recognizes the
chipset properly ( a Cirrus Logic GD 6420 ), but my displays go blank
after a little bit of trying to sync.  I have used a NEC 3V with the
recommended Linux monitor settings, and an AST SVGA multisync, with the
same results.  The standard VGA setup works fine if I set everything to
generic.  But 16 color VGA is crappy for almost anything.  Has anyone
actually used this chipset driver with any success?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  I am at a dead end.

2. Different Chips on Diamond Stealth?

3. XFree86 3.2--Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446 help needed

4. Extracting words from a file

5. HELP!!!! Need XF86Config for Cirrus logic CL-GD5420

6. v2.1.29 earily sound cutoff

7. Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446, CL-GD5440 and Trident PCI 9440

8. ECC/Parity interrupt handled?

9. XF86Free config file needed for Cirrus logic CL-5428 w/1M and NEC XV15+ monitor

10. HELP send XF86Config XConfig files for Cirrus Logic CL-GD5424 chip VGA

11. Cirrus Logic CL-GD6410 VGA Card? Help!

12. HELP: X on a Cirrus Logic CL-GD6410 notebook

13. Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 PCI -- Config problems