Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

Post by Rod Roar » Fri, 14 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: For my purposes, is there a reason to prefer an Optiplex over
: a Dimension?  I have read that the difference between the two
: is that Dell builds Optiplexes with a "standardization of key
: components", and I wonder if someone could elaborate on this.

Don't know, but FWIW my Optiplex came with NT pre-installed, which was no
good since I wanted a dual boot Win 95 and NT4 setup, and so had to
install 95 first.  For some reason Win 95 could not deal with the master
boot record on the disk, and I wound up having to write a short assembler
language program just to wipe the boot sector clean.

I'm happy with the Optiplex Gs.  It's a reliable, fast, quiet machine.

-- Rod

Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

Post by tom ra » Fri, 14 Nov 1997 04:00:00

the optiplex is the system sold to corporations because all the hardware
has been validated to work on that system, along with the software
installed by the factory. it is not cutting edge,but it is rock solid.

tom

> : For my purposes, is there a reason to prefer an Optiplex over
> : a Dimension?  I have read that the difference between the two
> : is that Dell builds Optiplexes with a "standardization of key
> : components", and I wonder if someone could elaborate on this.

> Don't know, but FWIW my Optiplex came with NT pre-installed, which was no
> good since I wanted a dual boot Win 95 and NT4 setup, and so had to
> install 95 first.  For some reason Win 95 could not deal with the master
> boot record on the disk, and I wound up having to write a short assembler
> language program just to wipe the boot sector clean.

> I'm happy with the Optiplex Gs.  It's a reliable, fast, quiet machine.

> -- Rod

Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

Post by tom ra » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

the Dimension will NOT be faster than the Optiplex. the components have
been validated to work together and that is it on the Dimension line. On
the Optiplex line, the validation goes much deeper due to selling to
large accounts that you don't want returning 3000 systems they just
bought. They validate it so customers will know it works with their
software OS.
I have run both the Optiplex and Dimension and can tell you for a fact
that they are equal in speed, but you will encounter less crashes on the
Optiplex because it has been validated to the manufacturers specs to
work with software like SAP, Novell, NE2000 compliant, etc. yes, there
is slightly more profit in the corporate line, but not nearly as much as
you think. companies that contract with the government to be an approved
supplier, have to sell equipment under a strict pricing guidelines. for
example, if you sell to the government the same identical product you
sell to a Fortune 500, the government cannot be charged more than you
charged the Fortune 500 company.
Dimensions are guaranteed to work for 3 years, they would have to with
the 3 year warranty backing it up.

tom

> Optiplex systems are designed for corporate customers. They're less
> cutting edge, more integrated (most have video & audio on the
> motherboard) and tested more. Dimension systems contain more cutting
> edge technology, but the components haven't been validated to the same
> degree. Personally, I'd get the Dimension - it's designed more for home
> users, and will be faster. Optiplexes cost more because corporate users
> are prepared to pay more for systems are guaranteed to work for the 3
> years that they're likely to spend on someones desk.

> later..
> Dave.

Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

Post by Nick Ferra » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>yes, there
>is slightly more profit in the corporate line, but not nearly as much as
>you think. companies that contract with the government to be an approved
>supplier, have to sell equipment under a strict pricing guidelines. for
>example, if you sell to the government the same identical product you
>sell to a Fortune 500, the government cannot be charged more than you
>charged the Fortune 500 company.
>Dimensions are guaranteed to work for 3 years, they would have to with
>the 3 year warranty backing it up.

>tom

You seem to be over looking something called discounts. Dell do not give us
a discount on Dimensions but we do have an agreement on Optiplex's. A home
user buying a one-off Optiplex will not get the same discount (if any) that
we do, likewise I expect the government and fortune 500 companies to getting
significantly more discount than we do.
As to the speed question, for the same price the Dimension will be
significantly faster than an undiscounted Optiplex.

Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

Post by tom ra » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

there's actually more profit in the Optiplex than in the Dimension,
believe it or not

tom

> >yes, there
> >is slightly more profit in the corporate line, but not nearly as much as
> >you think. companies that contract with the government to be an approved
> >supplier, have to sell equipment under a strict pricing guidelines. for
> >example, if you sell to the government the same identical product you
> >sell to a Fortune 500, the government cannot be charged more than you
> >charged the Fortune 500 company.
> >Dimensions are guaranteed to work for 3 years, they would have to with
> >the 3 year warranty backing it up.

> >tom

> You seem to be over looking something called discounts. Dell do not give us
> a discount on Dimensions but we do have an agreement on Optiplex's. A home
> user buying a one-off Optiplex will not get the same discount (if any) that
> we do, likewise I expect the government and fortune 500 companies to getting
> significantly more discount than we do.
> As to the speed question, for the same price the Dimension will be
> significantly faster than an undiscounted Optiplex.

Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

Post by ste.. » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

The main difference between the Opti's and the Dimensions is that Dimension
system will adapt new technology faster.  Opti's are built for corporate
network customers and as thus are not moving to every new type of memory or
componant technology as quickly.

>If you take Dell's explanation at face value, the Optiplex is configured with
>the business customer in mind. They seem to be more reliable as network
>clients. Our work recently pulled the purchase orders for a few hundred
>Dimensions and changed them all to Optiplexes, at a higher cost, because the
>customer support people said the hardware support is much easier. That may be
>the "standardization" story you got. I do know that all the Optiplex owners
>that I know at work like their machines alot.

>Kevin Ennis

>>: For my purposes, is there a reason to prefer an Optiplex over
>>: a Dimension?  I have read that the difference between the two
>>: is that Dell builds Optiplexes with a "standardization of key
>>: components", and I wonder if someone could elaborate on this.

>>Don't know, but FWIW my Optiplex came with NT pre-installed, which was no
>>good since I wanted a dual boot Win 95 and NT4 setup, and so had to
>>install 95 first.  For some reason Win 95 could not deal with the master
>>boot record on the disk, and I wound up having to write a short assembler
>>language program just to wipe the boot sector clean.

>>I'm happy with the Optiplex Gs.  It's a reliable, fast, quiet machine.

>>-- Rod

1. Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

For what it's worth...

My university just started leasing 1000+ Dell Optiplex GXa computers.
They are on a 3 year lease.  I work for the university's computing
services, so I have had a chance to poke around in a few of them.
Currently, the motherboards use Intel's LX chipset and have integrated
video (4 MB ATI Rage+ -- AGP), networking (10/100 3COM), and sound
(Crystal CODEC).  I'm not sure, but I think that MIDI/MPU is handled
through Yamaha MMX Windows software.  You'll have to disable the built
in sound if you what to upgrade to a Turtle Beach solution.  The systems
look proprietary to me:  a vertical daughterboard for ISA/PCI cards
plugs into the motherboard.  Perhaps this is a version of Intel's LX
motherboard specification.  If I remember correctly, there are 5 PCI and
4 ISA slots - 2 shared.  This was in the tower version.  I would not be
surpassed if the desktop version has less room for expansion.

I am not sure if X Windows will support the integrated AGP video card.
It is worth looking into!  The hard drive / CD-ROM use the LX's
integrated IDE.  I assume that the hard drive makes use of the Ultra
ATA.  Have you considered going SCSI?  It sounds like you will be
demanding a lot from your hard drive.  Dell probably offers it as an
option.

I have no idea how a Dimension stacks up, but I hope I have helped you
to be more informed.

--  Adam Kujawski
(email address is spam protected)

2. Terminal Question

3. Linux on a Dell Dimension or Optiplex?

4. Looking for /lib/include/linux/if*.h

5. Need Xconfig for Compaq Deskpro XE560, Dell 486, & Dell Optiplex XL590

6. Help with mail/elm: /usr/tmp/snd.* vanishes!

7. Dimension or Optiplex?

8. Linux/Slack(k 1.0.9) cant enable 3com ethernet support

9. Ethernet media rate negotiation on Dell OptiPlex GX1

10. Sound for Dell Optiplex GXPro

11. Redhat 8.0 X Problem on Dell Optiplex GX110

12. problem with linux installation on Dell optiplex GX1p

13. Redhat 8.0 X Problem on Dell Optiplex GX110