write permission on a FAT32 USB drive

Post by Julien Arrouar » Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:24:11

hi,

I have an external hhd with a fat32 file system.
When I mount the partition I can read but not write ...

here is my fstab config :
/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable vfat defaults,rw,user,noauto,umask=0 0 0

what is the problem ?

thx

Julien

write permission on a FAT32 USB drive

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:48:44

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:24:11 +0100, Julien Arrouart staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
Quote:> I have an external hhd with a fat32 file system.  When I mount the
> partition I can read but not write ...  what is the problem ?
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable vfat defaults,rw,user,noauto,umask=0 0 0

                                ^^^^^^^^                      ^
You want the options field in /etc/fstab to read like this for FAT
filesystems:

noauto,rw,users,umask=000

..."defaults" is only useful for Unix-like filesystems that aren't
removable.  "umask=0" should be equivalent to "umask=000", but use the
full form and see what happens.  Bonne chance,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!

write permission on a FAT32 USB drive

still unable to write :(

Post by Craig Bergre » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:01:39

> hi,

> I have an external hhd with a fat32 file system. When I mount the
> partition I can read but not write ...

> here is my fstab config :
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable vfat defaults,rw,user,noauto,umask=0 0 0

> what is the problem ?

> thx

> Julien

Is this flag enabled in your kernel?
(USB_STORAGE_RW_DETECT)

Could be that the USB storage driver thinks the device is write protected.

CB

Post by Julien Arrouar » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:58:50

>> hi,

>> I have an external hhd with a fat32 file system. When I mount the
>> partition I can read but not write ...

>> here is my fstab config :
>> /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable vfat defaults,rw,user,noauto,umask=0 0 0

>> what is the problem ?

>> thx

>> Julien

> Is this flag enabled in your kernel?
> (USB_STORAGE_RW_DETECT)

> Could be that the USB storage driver thinks the device is write protected.

> CB

Could be it ...
I am using the default kernel-image provided with debian. How can I know if
it has been enabled when it has been compiled ?

thx

Post by Craig Bergre » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:53:46

>>> hi,

>>> I have an external hhd with a fat32 file system. When I mount the
>>> partition I can read but not write ...

>>> here is my fstab config :
>>> /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable vfat defaults,rw,user,noauto,umask=0 0 0

>>> what is the problem ?

>>> thx

>>> Julien

>> Is this flag enabled in your kernel?
>> (USB_STORAGE_RW_DETECT)

>> Could be that the USB storage driver thinks the device is write
>> protected.

>> CB

> Could be it ...
> I am using the default kernel-image provided with debian. How can I know
> if it has been enabled when it has been compiled ?

> thx

I suppose the package will have the kernel configuration used.  I'm not
familiar with Debian, but I would look to see if they provide you with a
configuration file.  Fedora calls them config-x.x.x-x.x.x and puts them in
the boot directory along side the corresponding vmlinuz-<kernel version>
and initrd-<kernel version>.img files.

Post by Tauno Voipi » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:21:02

>>>Is this flag enabled in your kernel?
>>>(USB_STORAGE_RW_DETECT)

>>>Could be that the USB storage driver thinks the device is write
>>>protected.

>>>CB

>>Could be it ...
>>I am using the default kernel-image provided with debian. How can I know
>>if it has been enabled when it has been compiled ?

>>thx

> I suppose the package will have the kernel configuration used.  I'm not
> familiar with Debian, but I would look to see if they provide you with a
> configuration file.  Fedora calls them config-x.x.x-x.x.x and puts them in
> the boot directory along side the corresponding vmlinuz-<kernel version>
> and initrd-<kernel version>.img files.

The Debian kernel configuration file is on the /boot directory,
with the same version code in the file name as the kernel has.

If your kernel is 2.4.18 (the bf2.4), the config file is config-2.4.18.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Post by Charles Sulliva » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:06:34

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:24:11 +0100, Julien Arrouart staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
>> I have an external hhd with a fat32 file system.  When I mount the
>> partition I can read but not write ...  what is the problem ?
>> /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable vfat defaults,rw,user,noauto,umask=0 0 0
>                                 ^^^^^^^^                      ^
> You want the options field in /etc/fstab to read like this for FAT
> filesystems:

> noauto,rw,users,umask=000

> ..."defaults" is only useful for Unix-like filesystems that aren't
> removable.  "umask=0" should be equivalent to "umask=000", but use the
> full form and see what happens.  Bonne chance,

Matt,
As far as I could ever tell, "defaults" is just a place-holder
for use in /etc/fstab when there are no other options to be
specified, and doesn't set any options that aren't already set
by default in the code.

Have you found that it does indeed perform some function with
some filesystems?

1. Cant change permissions on mounted Fat32 drive?

Because of shortage of space on my Linux partition I have mounted my Win
partition (FAT32) to store data files. The FAT32 partition is mounted
 (automatically at boot and I have no trouble looking at it or writing
to it normally) on /mnt/win/server this is symlinked to /home/server -
(/home/server
 --> /mnt/win/server) for the benefit of Samba users. The problem I have
is that what ever I do with it, chown, chmod, chgrp I can't seem to make
it
 writeable through samba; the Samba users cannot write to it full stop.

 Does anyone have any ideas how I can persuade Linux to let Samba
client/users write to this HD/partition? I've tried changing permissions
on the
 symlink, on mount, on the directory itself but nothing seems to work.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Thankful future Linux user! :-)

3. Mounting a FAT32 USB hard drive

4. redhat 8.0 kicks ASS!

5. Writing to a FAT32 drive (kernel 2.0.34)

6. Free Offer to Troubleshoot network devices with monitoring

7. How to allow all users to have read/write permissions to DOS drives/partitions under Linux?

8. Excommunicated! The Fake Reverend "renegade@anglican.org"

9. Write permissions for the entire hard drive

10. USB drive problems (permissions)

11. Change permission on a mounted usb drive?

12. Setting Write Permissions to my Windows Drive

13. how to write to USB hard drive