ACPI failed on k8n4-e deluxe

Post by Alexpaci » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:50:58

I've got an asus k8n4-e deluxe with FC5 and the last available
kernel.I've a big problem because i can't manage usb and hotplug
doesn't work .When i boot the kernel normally in says a lot of "PCI:
Cannot allocate resouce region" and i get a kernel panic ( of course ,
if the kernel can't allocate PCI , it goes in kernel panic because it
doesn't find sata discs) and if i append in grub.conf acpi=off , it
says "..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IOAPIC" and when i
connect any usb device , it doesn't recognize it ( i've also looked at
/var/log/messages but it seems that the kernel doesn't recognize usb
device , i've also looked at lsmod and ohci and ehci modules are
loaded). I've tried to reboot with the usb device connected to verify
if the problem was hotplug (udev) too , but the problem remains.This
link (
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0306/KnownProblems.html
)can be helpful. The problem is the faken APIC table of 2.6 kernel (
i've tried to compile from source the 2.6.16.20 and 2.6.17 too
,disabling APIC support ,"..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to
IOAPIC" disappeares but it was useless.) I need your help because i
won't really think that linux (2.6.16.20) is so bugged. Otherwise i'm
obligated to install win xp.......

ACPI failed on k8n4-e deluxe

Post by Vladimir Florinsk » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 04:56:48

> I've got an asus k8n4-e deluxe with FC5 and the last available

Well, you've got an ASSUS motherboard and it doesn't work. This is by
design, they aren't supposed to. Throw that junk away and buy a quality
board (MSI is really good). As an exercise, search this group for other
posts with people having problems with ASSUS boards and you will see why
this is a good idea.

--
Vladimir

ACPI failed on k8n4-e deluxe

Post by iforon » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:34:44

> I've got an asus k8n4-e deluxe with FC5 and the last available
> kernel.I've a big problem because i can't manage usb and hotplug
> doesn't work .When i boot the kernel normally in says a lot of "PCI:
> Cannot allocate resouce region" and i get a kernel panic ( of course ,
> if the kernel can't allocate PCI , it goes in kernel panic because it
> doesn't find sata discs) and if i append in grub.conf acpi=off , it
> says "..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IOAPIC" and when i
> connect any usb device , it doesn't recognize it ( i've also looked at
> /var/log/messages but it seems that the kernel doesn't recognize usb
> device , i've also looked at lsmod and ohci and ehci modules are
> loaded). I've tried to reboot with the usb device connected to verify
> if the problem was hotplug (udev) too , but the problem remains.This
> link (
> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0306/KnownProblems.html
> )can be helpful. The problem is the faken APIC table of 2.6 kernel (
> i've tried to compile from source the 2.6.16.20 and 2.6.17 too
> ,disabling APIC support ,"..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to
> IOAPIC" disappeares but it was useless.) I need your help because i
> won't really think that linux (2.6.16.20) is so bugged.

The kernel isn't bugged -- Try acpi=force in GRUB
And look into your BIOS settings (make sure IOAPIC is enabled) - and
enable ACPI - these two are intimately related.

Quote:> Otherwise i'm
> obligated to install win xp.......

You mean Winnie the Poop?

Regards