DVD/cd-rw fails to play DVD movies

Post by Phil Pinkert » Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:55:30

Installed mplayer, ogle and Xine still I cannot play movies.

I can burn cd's using Xcdroast.

This is a Dell Latitude C600 750MHZ 128MB.

Cdrom = /dev/hdc = ide-scsi = /dev/dvd = /dev/cdrom

The hdc = ide-scsi was necessary to burn CD's and perhaps is the root of my problem?

Any ideas how to configure to play movies?

DVD/cd-rw fails to play DVD movies

Post by Dances With Crow » Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:24:08

On 9 Nov 2003 16:55:30 -0800, Phil Pinkerton staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> Installed mplayer, ogle and Xine still I cannot play movies.
> This is a Dell Latitude C600 750MHZ 128MB.

Get more RAM if you can; everything will run faster.  Which version of
which distro are you using?

Quote:> Cdrom = /dev/hdc = ide-scsi = /dev/dvd = /dev/cdrom
> The hdc = ide-scsi was necessary to burn CD's and perhaps is the root
> of my problem?

Absolutely not; I have a DVD+RW at /dev/hdd under ide-scsi emulation;
there's a symlink called /dev/dvd that points to /dev/cdroms/cdrom1, and
Xine works fine for playing DVDs.

Quote:> Any ideas how to configure to play movies?

No, but you could help by providing more information than "It doesn't
work".  Read http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for good (if
snarky) advice on asking questions in technical forums.  Insert a DVD
into your DVD-drive, then start mplayer from a command line like so:

mplayer dvd://1  (mplayer 1.0)
or
mplayer -dvd 1   (older mplayer)

...and post the error messages you get.

If you can't do that, at least describe the symptoms--like so:  "I
installed the dvdnav plugin for Xine, but when I click the 'DVD' button,
Xine's video screen flashes for a second and goes back to displaying the
default splashscreen."  If you start a GUI program from an xterm or
konsole or something, you typically get more verbose error/disgnostic
information displayed to stdout on the xterm.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. LDAP on FreeBSD

3. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

4. How many AADU users can be supported on a PS/2-80?

5. Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive problems

6. Help: Attack threats

7. CD-RW or DVD(+-)RW?

8. unresolved symbols

9. Ricoh CD, CD-R, CD-RW and DVD drive

10. DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?

11. Cdrecord-ProDVD now supports DVD+RW & DVD+R

12. DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's

13. DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW