>1024 IDE config problem, need help

Post by Brian McEntir » Tue, 01 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello,
  I just purchased a 1.26GB HD, its a maxtor EIDE drive, also in my system is a
Maxtor 250 MB Hard drive.

  I have read that the new kernels have no problems with big IDE drives but I
have the 1.3.8 kernel and still have problems.

  I would like to have my system configured as follows. First Drive is the
maxtor 250 MB drive, fully devoted to LINUX. Second drive, cyls 0 to 1024 DOS,
cyls 1025 up (504 MB to 1.26GB) for LINUX. Problem is, FDISK even under linux
will not see the >504MB area of the disk.

  I saw that there is a command I can give LILO to specify the geometry before
the kernel loads. However, the command didn't seem to specify WHICH drive in my
2 drive system i was giving the geometry of.

  I would greatly appreciate anyones comments or pointers.

Thanks.

Post by Mark Lo » Tue, 01 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Hello,
>  I just purchased a 1.26GB HD, its a maxtor EIDE drive, also in my system is a
>Maxtor 250 MB Hard drive.

>  I have read that the new kernels have no problems with big IDE drives but I
>have the 1.3.8 kernel and still have problems.

>  I would like to have my system configured as follows. First Drive is the
>maxtor 250 MB drive, fully devoted to LINUX. Second drive, cyls 0 to 1024 DOS,
>cyls 1025 up (504 MB to 1.26GB) for LINUX. Problem is, FDISK even under linux
>will not see the >504MB area of the disk.

I don't believe that last statement.  What makes you think that
"FDISK even under linux will not see the >504MB area of the disk" ?

This is designed to "work out of the box" the same way you want it to.
--

For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]
For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide

>1024 IDE config problem, need help

Post by Charles F. Leppl » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

LILO (being a stupid BIOS-dependant 16-bit program) has no choice but to boot
Linux from the first 504Mb of your big drive. However, your Linux fdisk
_should_ see the extra space (mine did on my 540Mb drive -- Linux resides from
about cyls. 500 to 1047). It may warn you about the excessive size of your
drive, but it should cope. If not, upgrade your /sbin stuff.

>1024 IDE config problem, need help

Post by Thomas Boute » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>LILO (being a stupid BIOS-dependant 16-bit program) has no choice but to boot
>Linux from the first 504Mb of your big drive. However, your Linux fdisk
>_should_ see the extra space (mine did on my 540Mb drive -- Linux resides from
>about cyls. 500 to 1047). It may warn you about the excessive size of your
>drive, but it should cope. If not, upgrade your /sbin stuff.

Well, I've got Linux 1.2.12, and I have the same symptoms as the other
guy: Linux fdisk doesn't like cylinders beyond 1024. I can easily
allocate a partition containing, for instance, cylinders 1 through 1000.
Then I tried to allocate a second partition beyond that, and found
that if I ended it beyond cylinder 1024, I would get the
following error:

Partition 2 has different physical and logical endings:
phys = (0, 15, 63) versus log = (1024, 15, 63)

This is for a partition ending smack on cylinder 1025 in order
to most graphically demonstrate what's going on: physical
cylinder numbers are wrapping around at 1024. (fdisk knows
there ought to be 2466 cylinders and lets me attempt to
configure beyond that, but the consistency check when
I print the table gives the above message, and if I try
to plunge ahead anyway mke2fs freaks out big time.)

I have fdisk version 1.5. I just upgraded to that off of sunsite
after discovering that my old version was 1.4. 1.5 is no different.

If there's something else I need to upgrade, what is it?

My drive is also 1.27GB, a Samsung PLS-31274A.

HELP!

-T

--
The ouzo of human kindness.
<URL:http://sunsite.unc.edu/boutell/index.html>

1. IDE with >1024 cyl and Dynamic Drive Config?

Hi.
I've just installed a 540 Mb HD (Western Digital), with a Dynamic Drive
Configuration (DDC) supplied by Western Digital with the Ontrack software.
This device, under MSDOS, is an extension of the BIOS and allow MSDOS to view
fully HD up to 8Gb. Moreover, it increase a lot the HD performances,
especially under Windows. I would like to install Linux over this HD
mantaining  DDC, but I need a similar DDC under Linux. The Ontrack says that a
similar BIOS extension should be available in the future for other OS.
So, my question is: exists any DDC BIOS extension for Linux?
Thanks a lot,
                              Carlo

2. Help with my 3Com905-TX

3. Help needed with PANIC message (>1024 cyls problems?)

4. pppd complaining of peer not 8-bit clean

5. IDE cyls>1024, DOS + Linux problems

6. RPM Handling

7. Slackware 2.0 on a Hard disk with > 1024 cyls - help needed

8. Secure programming tutorial

9. IDE drives with > 1024 cylinders

10. Cylinder > 1024 on IDE drive.

11. Install on IDE drive > 1024 cylinders

12. IDE >1024 cylender CMOS question

13. IDE with >1024 cylinders makes fdisk complain