Low Memory Problem Installing Linux

Post by tmas.. » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

hi,

I encounterd a low memory problem when I was trying to bootup from my Linux
bootdisk. The system says I have less than 4M memory. I've tried the tricks
that are in LOWMEM.TXT but didn't work. One other problem is that my BIOS
uses bios shodowing of which I'm told it uses lot of memory, and I'm unable
to change the BIOS settings since it it password protected. Is there a way
of `breaking' into the BIOS setup so that I can make the necessary changes?
Any help would be appreciated.
themba

Post by Stephen Knila » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>hi,

>I encounterd a low memory problem when I was trying to bootup from my Linux
>bootdisk. The system says I have less than 4M memory. I've tried the tricks
>that are in LOWMEM.TXT but didn't work. One other problem is that my BIOS
>uses bios shodowing of which I'm told it uses lot of memory, and I'm unable
>to change the BIOS settings since it it password protected. Is there a way
>of `breaking' into the BIOS setup so that I can make the necessary changes?
>Any help would be appreciated.
>themba

The only way I know of, and the only logical way, is to short out the BIOS.
This jumper/method can be found in the motherboard manual.  That will erase
EVERYTHING, including the password, so you can get into the BIOS and change
it.  Of course, you'll have to change the time and other system setup info
as well.

Steve

1. Low-memory install: Cannot allocate memory at startup!

Argh!  So close!

I'm installing Debian because it is the only one I've seen that even talks
about machines with 4M of ram.
This is an old, Ascentia 800N laptop, 4M ram, something round 512M
hard-drive.

Partitions are 300+M Linux native, 2M minix for temp install, and 82M+  for
Linux swap.

Using the Debian low-mem install.  All goes well until booting from the
harddrive.  I avoid installing any new modules.
Several messages appear during startup, exclaiming they cannot allocate
memory.
modprobe complains its out of memory
grep complains about memory
libc.so.6: cannot map zero-fill pages: cannot allocate memory

Argh!  Has anybody managed to pull this off?  Do you have any pointers?
I'll trade Shiner Bock for some good hints (srma)!

-s

2. Linux running MS-WIN and MS-DOS (was Re: Linux)

3. Low memory install problem

4. a tribute to Linux networking

5. Problems with low memory install

6. Where is X console?

7. Low memory RedHat install, how?

8. A simple question about patching the kernel

9. Installing w/low memory? (Red Hat)

10. Need help installing slackware w/ low memory

11. RedHat 5.2 install hangs on low memory (8MB) PC

12. Low Memory Slackware Install

13. Low memory Red Hat install, how? -- InfoMagic broken