A good question....

Post by @das » Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Hi:

> I have been communicating with a fellow who is having difficulty doing a
> first install of Slackware 3.2 (and others) onto his 486 box. The 486 used
> to run BSD on a network but has now moved to his home where he wishes to
> run Linux (please - no politics).

> The problem is that during the floppy disc 'boot image' startup ('bare.i')
> the ramdisk initiates and then locks up.

> The following is a message he receives just before it stops responding;

> boot:
> Error 0x04
> boot: ramdisk

I've never seen the error, but my only recommendation would be to try
disabling the ramdisk at the boot: prompt.  Don't remember the command
off the top of my head though.

-David

It is there to confuse spam bots... pesky things they are!)

A good question....

Post by David D.W. Downe » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

 >> boot:

Quote:>> Loading Ramdisk......
>> Error 0x04
>> boot: ramdisk

>I've never seen the error, but my only recommendation would be to try
>disabling the ramdisk at the boot: prompt.  Don't remember the command
>off the top of my head though.

Use: mount root=/dev/fd0 (or /dev/fd1 if using floppy drive 2) to disable
the ramdisk option.

1. 4 is good. .00000001% is good.

Yes, osimplay is probably for 4 people on the planet. The 4 that don't
confuse writing an operating system with porting Minix to pmode. All 4 of
whom have been ostracized from the Linux Kernel Clique, but who probably
still read l-k occaisionally to see what kind of shenanigans Billy's Free
Unix Boys are up to, like pretending SMP scales.

By the way, if you don't like the looks of a "bastard offspring of a
drunken encounter between Intercal and APL" (Smoorenberg), it's a shell
script, moron, so if you're more comfortable, it shouldn't even take a
Kernel-cliquer more than a few minutes to make it resemble a cross between
Alan Cox, Matthew Wilcox, a plate of bad sushi and a couple hundred
ioctls. With more teeth than Torvalds. Just don't leave it where I might
get a whiff of it.

Rick Hohensee

:; cLIeNUX /dev/tty4  16:34:53   /
:;d -d */
Ha3sm/       configure/   enth04/      help/        owner/       suite/
boot/        dev/         floppy/      log/         source/      temp/
command/     device/      guest/       mount/       subroutine/
:; cLIeNUX /dev/tty4  16:46:15   /
:;

-

2. Asus A7V266-E w/ Linux Hangs

3. good for windows = good for X11?

4. USR -> Multicom ?

5. Ping==nfs==good, telnet+others!=good

6. Where does xdm get its initial path

7. Good Enough to Sleep With but not Good Enough to Marry?

8. Soundblaster live on FC3 AMD64

9. solaris 2.3: good and not so good

10. WinLinux2001 - Good for newbies? Good at all?

11. Not a good read (Was RE:A good read)

12. Anybody have a good MicroATX board with a good integrated NIC?

13. When good enough is good enough