Advice on good hardware for new Linux box?

Advice on good hardware for new Linux box?

Post by Allen O'Nei » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

could anyone out there give me a good spec for a new Linux server? ... it
will be strapped onto a Novell network (3.12), and only store an
Interbase database to 25 users.

I am really looking for brands / models that are know to work well and
save me hassle once the stuff is bought!

The basic spec thus far is simply ...

Processor - Intel P300 PII
2 x 4.2gb HD (going to shadow the database in case of HD failure)
128 mbs RAM
4 mb video card
24 x CD Rom (installs and upgrades)
3com 10/100 combo auto-sensing netcard
ps/2 mouse
std keyboard
no-name SVGA monitor non-interlaced

Thanks,

Allen.

Post by Marc Sisso » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> could anyone out there give me a good spec for a new Linux server? ... it
> will be strapped onto a Novell network (3.12), and only store an
> Interbase database to 25 users.

How big is the database?

Quote:

> I am really looking for brands / models that are know to work well and
> save me hassle once the stuff is bought!

> The basic spec thus far is simply ...

> Processor - Intel P300 PII

For 25 users this is major overkill.

Quote:> 2 x 4.2gb HD (going to shadow the database in case of HD failure)

Again I ask, how big is the database? Buy three small drives
(assuming SCSI) and get better performance. Use one for / and
swap, one for DB and one for shadow.

Quote:> 128 mbs RAM

64 would probably be plenty unless you have BIG indexes and
must have lightning fast response.

Quote:> 4 mb video card

For a server? Do you want to play games too? You don't need
this at all. Get a 1Mb ISA card for $15.

Quote:> 24 x CD Rom (installs and upgrades)

Any CDROM will do. Do you have another CDROM already on
the network? Can you do ftp or nfs over the network? If
the answers are yes, then you don't need the CDROM at all.

Quote:> 3com 10/100 combo auto-sensing netcard

Go to any "ethernet" page and pick a card. Try:
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/100mbs.html

> ps/2 mouse
> std keyboard
> no-name SVGA monitor non-interlaced

Go checkout a discount box that includes all of this.
Mostly, if you are focusing on 25 users, you are well
overspec'd. If you want room to grow, that's OK. What
you've laid out here will probably serve more than a
hundred unless the database software is really sluggish,
or your 'users' are not normal human database users.

Post by Victor Lavrenk » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

    A> Hi, could anyone out there give me a good spec for a new Linux
    A> server? ... it will be strapped onto a Novell network (3.12),
    A> and only store an Interbase database to 25 users.

    A> I am really looking for brands / models that are know to work
    A> well and save me hassle once the stuff is bought!

    A> The basic spec thus far is simply ...

    A> Processor - Intel P300 PII 2 x 4.2gb HD (going to shadow the
    A> database in case of HD failure) 128 mbs RAM 4 mb video card 24
    A> x CD Rom (installs and upgrades) 3com 10/100 combo auto-sensing
    A> netcard ps/2 mouse std keyboard no-name SVGA monitor
    A> non-interlaced

Wow!

I use i80486 box with 16MB memory and 2x400MB HD, 1 MB video (S3
Trio), no CD-ROM (installs and upgrades are made via Internet), D-Link
netcard. I use it to hold:

http://parallax.mmms.edu.ru/

There are a lot of users not just accessing a database, written in
PostgreSQL, but remotely compiling their programs into parallel
architectures. It works fine, just trust me.

--
Victor Lavrenko
   Homepage:        http://ultra.cs.msu.su/~lavrenko

   Fingerprint:     35 D0 98 8D 96 E5 F4 BA  59 FB 9D 29 92 26 F5 59

Advice on good hardware for new Linux box?

Post by Herminio Alvarez, Jr » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Although MOST linux users will say that your spec for a linux box is
overkill, if you can afford to get this kind of computer, like "Nike",
JUST DO IT!

    Get the most compatible, fastest, biggest, prettiest that will fit your
budget.

****  Herminio