New notebook! :)

Post by Andre » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:42:14

Hi,

I'm looking into getting a new notebook. Now, at the present time I have
a Compaq Evo N800c. It's running the latest unstable version of Debian
(which has been more stable than any windows install I've had on my
notebook).

I was thinking about going with a IBM ThinkPad TXX series notebook, but
I also want something that is aesthetically pleasing at around a budget
of $2500.00.

Does anyone have a definative notebook model which is particularly
suited for Linux? Or any horror stories about vendors which one should
particularly stay away from. (I must say, that my Evo N800c is a great
little linux notebook.)

Thanks in advance.

-Andrew

New notebook! :)

Post by Michael Heimin » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:56:11

Quote:> Hi,
> I'm looking into getting a new notebook. Now, at the present time I have
> a Compaq Evo N800c. It's running the latest unstable version of Debian
> (which has been more stable than any windows install I've had on my
> notebook).

Yeah, Debian tends to be quite conservative with this naming
convention.

Quote:> I was thinking about going with a IBM ThinkPad TXX series notebook, but
> I also want something that is aesthetically pleasing at around a budget
> of $2500.00.
> Does anyone have a definative notebook model which is particularly
> suited for Linux? Or any horror stories about vendors which one should
> particularly stay away from. (I must say, that my Evo N800c is a great
> little linux notebook.)

Usually quality laptops work without problems, I'd stay away from
cheapo no-name stuff.

http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://www.linux-laptop.org/

You need to checkout if one or another internal stuff works with
Linux, winmodems might be a problem, there some driver, but
better avoid the crap.

Good luck

#bofh excuse 454: Keyboard Actuator Failure.  Order and Replace.

New notebook! :)

Post by skip » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:38:57

> Hi,

> I'm looking into getting a new notebook. Now, at the present time I have
> a Compaq Evo N800c. It's running the latest unstable version of Debian
> (which has been more stable than any windows install I've had on my
> notebook).

> I was thinking about going with a IBM ThinkPad TXX series notebook, but
> I also want something that is aesthetically pleasing at around a budget
> of $2500.00.

> Does anyone have a definative notebook model which is particularly
> suited for Linux? Or any horror stories about vendors which one should
> particularly stay away from. (I must say, that my Evo N800c is a great
> little linux notebook.)

> Thanks in advance.

> -Andrew

Previosuly I had a Thinkpad R series running RH9, Fedora then Mdk 10.x
and now have a Toshiba (Tecra M2) running Debian Sarge. No problems with
either machine. Didn't bother trying to get the inbuilt modem working
and I haven't played with the wireless LAN long enough to get it
working, but I believe it's possible (and not too difficult).

With both machines (IBM and Toshiba), there's plenty of support for
enabling the function keys, power control, CPU throttling etc.

Whatever you decide, stick with the name brands. You might also want to
take a live distro like Knoppix or Mepis into the shop and try booting
them. Obviosuly you won't be able to play around with every feature
(like wlan) but it should give a reasonable indication of compatibility.

New notebook! :)

Post by General Schvantzkop » Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:32:35

> Hi,

> I'm looking into getting a new notebook. Now, at the present time I have
> a Compaq Evo N800c. It's running the latest unstable version of Debian
> (which has been more stable than any windows install I've had on my
> notebook).

> I was thinking about going with a IBM ThinkPad TXX series notebook, but
> I also want something that is aesthetically pleasing at around a budget
> of $2500.00.

> Does anyone have a definative notebook model which is particularly
> suited for Linux? Or any horror stories about vendors which one should
> particularly stay away from. (I must say, that my Evo N800c is a great
> little linux notebook.)

> Thanks in advance.

> -Andrew

The Compaq R3000Z has a screaming fast Athlon 64 processor. The graphics
are a little weak but that doesn't matter very much for Linux. I'm runnign
it with Fedora Core 3.

New notebook! :)

Post by Hact » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:55:51

> Hi,

> I'm looking into getting a new notebook. Now, at the present time I have
> a Compaq Evo N800c. It's running the latest unstable version of Debian
> (which has been more stable than any windows install I've had on my
> notebook).

> I was thinking about going with a IBM ThinkPad TXX series notebook,

I have a Thinkpad T40, on which I put SuSE 9.1.  I haven't tried to get
IrDA, the second monitor port, PCMCIA, the modem, sound-in, or parallel to
work (no need), and suspend-to-disk is a bit weird (probably my fault),
but X, sound, trackpad, pointing stick, wlan (802.11b), and both sets of
buttons work.  The printer doesn't work, but that's Canon's fault not
IBM's or SuSE's.  I need to set up some sort of wlan roaming thing so
it'll do it automatically, an on-screen indicator for the special buttons,
and also something to vary the CPU speed via SpeedStep based on CPU use.

Quote:> but I also want something that is aesthetically pleasing

It definitely is that.

Quote:> at around a budget of $2500.00.

USD?  Multiple hundreds of dollars less.  CAD?  Ballpark.

Quote:> Or any horror stories about vendors which one should
> particularly stay away from. (I must say, that my Evo N800c is a great
> little linux notebook.)

Avoid cheapo vendors.  If they weren't around 3 years ago, they probably
won't be around 3 years from now.

Someplace you can drive to is a big bonus over shipping your laptop to BFE
for service (I've had <1 week from "service call to IBM" to "laptop back
in my hands", but you could probably get it done in 2-3 days locally).
IBM's selling the Thinkpad production to Lenovo.  The T43 might be the
last IBM Thinkpad.  I don't know who gets service.

Higher-pixel-count screens eat more battery power (I think), so that'll
reduce your run time.

--

GEMINI:  Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive
flatulence. Your love life will run into trouble when your fiancee hurls a

New notebook! :)

Post by roberthar.. » Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:26:44

> Hi,

> I'm looking into getting a new notebook.

Thing that annoys me in the UK is vendors who wont sell without
weindows - recent exception though:
http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=13675

I assume you've looked at tuxmobil.org?  ww w.linux-on-laptops.com?

But I'd consider linux on an iBook.

New notebook! :)

Post by Michael Hyma » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:28:32

ARE.com.unmunge says...

> > Hi,

> > I'm looking into getting a new notebook. Now, at the present time I have
> > a Compaq Evo N800c. It's running the latest unstable version of Debian
> > (which has been more stable than any windows install I've had on my
> > notebook).

> > I was thinking about going with a IBM ThinkPad TXX series notebook,

> I have a Thinkpad T40, on which I put SuSE 9.1.  I haven't tried to get
> IrDA, the second monitor port, PCMCIA, the modem, sound-in, or parallel to
> work (no need), and suspend-to-disk is a bit weird (probably my fault),
> but X, sound, trackpad, pointing stick, wlan (802.11b), and both sets of
> buttons work.  The printer doesn't work, but that's Canon's fault not
> IBM's or SuSE's.  I need to set up some sort of wlan roaming thing so
> it'll do it automatically, an on-screen indicator for the special buttons,
> and also something to vary the CPU speed via SpeedStep based on CPU use.

> > but I also want something that is aesthetically pleasing

> It definitely is that.

> > at around a budget of $2500.00.

> USD?  Multiple hundreds of dollars less.  CAD?  Ballpark.

> > Or any horror stories about vendors which one should
> > particularly stay away from. (I must say, that my Evo N800c is a great
> > little linux notebook.)

> Avoid cheapo vendors.  If they weren't around 3 years ago, they probably
> won't be around 3 years from now.

> Someplace you can drive to is a big bonus over shipping your laptop to BFE
> for service (I've had <1 week from "service call to IBM" to "laptop back
> in my hands", but you could probably get it done in 2-3 days locally).
> IBM's selling the Thinkpad production to Lenovo.  The T43 might be the
> last IBM Thinkpad.  I don't know who gets service.

> Higher-pixel-count screens eat more battery power (I think), so that'll
> reduce your run time.

I have a T40 as well, and unders Suse 9.1 and 9.2 everything works,
except for possibly IRDA, which is useless anyway.

Be careful with the WLAN option since support for the intel centrino
chips is a bit dodgy still.

This machine has a winmodem and it works perfectly.

1. WHERE is flash come from :):) I NO U WELL

--
Linux 1.1.81 (POSIX). on nuntana machine.
Linus Torvalds bug free version on Friday 13, JAN, 1995

httpd  rerun again

If you want to make homepage for yourself just only mkdir Http
THEN put .html on that dir

and annouce ppl your homepage as http://nuntana.aninal.uiuc.edu/~yourloginname

good luck.

2. gdbm storing error

3. just got mac plus :) :)

4. ISDN Callback - help please ....

5. Linus picture available :):)

6. Cannot assign a static address

7. Create a new window manager :)

8. 43P 140 SuSE 7.3, Was: IBM RS/6000 43P 140 SuSe v7.3 PCI Graphic Card

9. Problems...very new too :)

10. HELP: EtherExpress16 -or- yeah, yeah, I need a new card :)

11. 30% HDD access improvement with my new kernel :)

12. Help a new Linux-flavoured Powerbook user! :)

13. New web page about Linux :)