cylinder 1024 (starting where)

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've read several messages here and elsewhere on the cylinder 1024
>limit, but there's all kinds of vague statements and some
>contradictions on the subject.

[massive snip]

"Standard" or "Normal" mode in the BIOS: 1024 cyl = 528M
"Large" mode in the BIOS:                1024 cyl = 2G
"LBA" mode in the BIOS:                  1024 cyl = 8G

The differences have to do with the number of logical heads the BIOS can
address.  Standard = 16, while LBA = 255.  Big difference.

...I suggest enabling LBA, just for maximum choice of where to put /boot
and such.  Linux copes rather well.  Hopefully, your BIOS has the option
to enable LBA or at least Large.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,

cylinder 1024 (starting where)

Post by fluffy_p.. » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello y'all,

I've read several messages here and elsewhere on the cylinder 1024
limit, but there's all kinds of vague statements and some
contradictions on the subject.

If I compute to translate the limit into a MB value, taking the values
from the little pamphlet included with my disk  (16 383 cylinders, 16
heads, 63 sectors/track, total capacity = 10.24 GB), I get
(1024/16383) x 10.2 GB x 1000 = 640,04 MB.  I should then make sure to
install the "kernel" or \boot bellow this MB limit.  My first primary
partition will be about 400 MB, for Win98.  My second one should be
for Linux.

What I do not understand at all is that other models, all with
different capacity values, all have the same C/H/S numbers.  Another
paper, this one for the manufacturer's Web site, says 3 heads for my
drive instead of 16 !?

Anyway, if we forget this for now, I'd like to know if the cylinder
1024 means relative to the physical disk or to a primary partition, ou
even to a logical drive within a primary partition.  For exemple would
it be possible to have /boot (Linux) beginning at cylindre no. 2048,
at the beginning of the second primary partition, with the first
partiton  going from cylinders 0 to 2047.  This cylinder would then be
no. 0 relative to the second partition.

Thanks.

Marc Galipeau

--
What I really am is "fluffy", no "_dong",
no "_puff", no "_woo", no  nothing, just plain fluffy.

cylinder 1024 (starting where)

Post by fluffy_p.. » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

>>I've read several messages here and elsewhere on the cylinder 1024
>>limit, but there's all kinds of vague statements and some
>>contradictions on the subject.
>[massive snip]

>"Standard" or "Normal" mode in the BIOS: 1024 cyl = 528M
>"Large" mode in the BIOS:                1024 cyl = 2G
>"LBA" mode in the BIOS:                  1024 cyl = 8G

>The differences have to do with the number of logical heads the BIOS can
>address.  Standard = 16, while LBA = 255.  Big difference.

>...I suggest enabling LBA, just for maximum choice of where to put /boot
>and such.  Linux copes rather well.  Hopefully, your BIOS has the option
>to enable LBA or at least Large.  HTH,

Thank you very much (for a clear and simple explanation).

Marc
--
What I really am is "fluffy", no "_dong",
no "_puff", no "_woo", no  nothing, just plain fluffy.

cylinder 1024 (starting where)

Post by Bob Berma » Mon, 08 May 2000 04:00:00

The best solution is to upgrade LILO to version 21.4.2. The 1024
cylinder limit is
history. Just compile it, install it and add a line with "lba32"
somewhere in your
lilo.conf file. It'll boot from anywhere or any size disk.

> >>I've read several messages here and elsewhere on the cylinder 1024
> >>limit, but there's all kinds of vague statements and some
> >>contradictions on the subject.
> >[massive snip]

> >"Standard" or "Normal" mode in the BIOS: 1024 cyl = 528M
> >"Large" mode in the BIOS:                1024 cyl = 2G
> >"LBA" mode in the BIOS:                  1024 cyl = 8G

> >The differences have to do with the number of logical heads the BIOS can
> >address.  Standard = 16, while LBA = 255.  Big difference.

> >...I suggest enabling LBA, just for maximum choice of where to put /boot
> >and such.  Linux copes rather well.  Hopefully, your BIOS has the option
> >to enable LBA or at least Large.  HTH,

> Thank you very much (for a clear and simple explanation).

> Marc
> --
> What I really am is "fluffy", no "_dong",
> no "_puff", no "_woo", no  nothing, just plain fluffy.

cylinder 1024 (starting where)

Post by fluffy_d.. » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 07 May 2000 17:21:49 GMT, Bob Berman

>The best solution is to upgrade LILO to version 21.4.2. The
>1024 cylinder limit is history. Just compile it, install it
>and add a line with "lba32" somewhere in your lilo.conf
>file. It'll boot from anywhere or any size disk.

Yes, thank you, I just read someone else's post in another group
who said the same thing.  One lonely bright spot in my perilous
adventures.  The last time I partitioned a drive (to install Linux
on a Windows machine) I managed to get Partition Magic to crash,
and then to crash Linux fdisk.  At least this time I have a *
drive.

Marc

--
What I really am is "fluffy", no "_dong",
no "_puff", no "_woo", no  nothing, just plain fluffy.

1. Q: Any way to start the Linux partition after cylinder 1024?

The Linux/Win95 HOW-TO says that the Linux boot partition on your hard disk
must start before cylinder 1024 (+/- 500Mbish). Is there any way to avoid
this? I have 2Gb of Windoze data on a 4.3Gb disk and I don't fancy moving it
all the thee back end. I would rather start the Linux partition at around
the 3.0Gb point.

Cheers Big Ears,
Mark Tigwell
Sydney Australia

2. (no subject)

3. HELP! cylinders > 1024 !!!

4. USRobotics problems

5. 1024 cylinder problem

6. iptables nat question...

7. Cylinder number > 1024, how to lilo?

8. Open Server 5.0 & ARC Serve

9. Loadlin accessing a hardrive over 1024 cylinders

10. Can lilo handle a drive with more than 1024 cylinders

11. 1024 cylinder limitation

12. Hard drive bigger than 1024 cylinders.

13. Hard disk with more than 1024 cylinders and LILO