ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by root » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello:

I am running Red Hat 6.0 and trying to get my ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound card
to run. Setup tells me there are no PnP devices found. When I choose any
one of the ESS modules I get a "device busy error". I have been reading
the "Alsa-sound-5.html" MINI-HOWTO. There is a line in there that says I
need to run "modprobe snd-audiodrive1688".... I find no evidence of this
module anywhere! I hav looked under /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc and I see
a few es*.o files, but nothing that looks like the mod I am looking for.

I have played with the IO addresses and the IRQ's etc... The chipset is
part of the ASUS mobo i am using. I would go for another sound card, but
I see no way to disable this chipset in the BIOS and I don't want to try
to make another card work with the ESS taking up resources.

Am I looking for something that does not exist? Am I barking uo the
wrong tree?? Everything else is running great! The only thing I need to
get working is the sound. I even have my ADSL connection working, thanks
to comp.os.linux.networking and DHCPCD. This sound thing has me baffled
though.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Lobb

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by root » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Sorry to add this, but.... Further reading showed that I need to run
modprobe snd-esssolo1. Again I get the error tha the module cannot be
found... Do I need to get the src from somewhere???

Bill

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by William Lob » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Bryan. I was afraid of that. I will do it, but I have to admit
that I have some trouble with kernel builds. I always build these
massive kernels. I'll try again to build a "thinner" kernel. If you are
building a kernel using the same source as you started with do you need
to rebuild the modules too?

Thanks again,

Bill

> : Hello:

> : I am running Red Hat 6.0 and trying to get my ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound card
> : to run.

> build a custom kernel, build in sound support for that chip (2.2.12 or
> newer) and don't build as a module.  it works.

> I am using the solo-1 as an embedded MP3 player with this chip onboard
> the mainboard.  sound is perfectly acceptable as long as you're not
> looking for ultra-hi-fi use.

> --
> Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
> ->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by <robgr.. » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Sorry to add this, but.... Further reading showed that I need to run
> modprobe snd-esssolo1. Again I get the error tha the module cannot be
> found... Do I need to get the src from somewhere???

> Bill

Actually i was surfing for help to install mine...
But aside from that i was going over ASLA stuff myself and try going along
the lines:
modprobe snd-es1938  I have found in docs that the Solo 1 and the es1938
seem to be the same thing... don't know for sure..let me know if this
works :)

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by Edward Le » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

All you need to do is to run http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/xxxxxx.html.

Disclaimer: the above url has been censored by cnet.com copyright policy.
Please contact the original sendor for more information.   If you disagree
with the cnet policy, please contact the marketing director at cnet.com.

> > Sorry to add this, but.... Further reading showed that I need to run
> > modprobe snd-esssolo1. Again I get the error tha the module cannot be
> > found... Do I need to get the src from somewhere???

> > Bill

> Actually i was surfing for help to install mine...
> But aside from that i was going over ASLA stuff myself and try going along
> the lines:
> modprobe snd-es1938  I have found in docs that the Solo 1 and the es1938
> seem to be the same thing... don't know for sure..let me know if this
> works :)

> --

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by Daniel W. Erskin » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>All you need to do is to run http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/xxxxxx.html.

>Disclaimer: the above url has been censored by cnet.com copyright policy.
>Please contact the original sendor for more information.   If you disagree
>with the cnet policy, please contact the marketing director at cnet.com.

>> > Sorry to add this, but.... Further reading showed that I need to run
>> > modprobe snd-esssolo1. Again I get the error tha the module cannot be
>> > found... Do I need to get the src from somewhere???

>> > Bill

>> Actually i was surfing for help to install mine...
>> But aside from that i was going over ASLA stuff myself and try going
along
>> the lines:
>> modprobe snd-es1938  I have found in docs that the Solo 1 and the es1938
>> seem to be the same thing... don't know for sure..let me know if this
>> works :)

Greetings:
  Hmm...  I think I have bad news for ya!  Check out the Linux Documentation
Project's section on Hardware Compatability, specifically, the Unsupported
section:

    http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html
    http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-13.html#ss13.3

  Of course, you could always opt for the payware side of the fence, and
check out this site:

    http://www.opensound.com/

Hope this helps,
Daniel W. Erskine

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by Edward Le » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I know that.  They don't support the cheapest sound cards.  But they works fine
for me.  If you don't believe me, just download the tools at
http://204.216.187.141/setpnp.html.  I got my ISA ALS0120 and PCI ESS SOLO1 for
$10 each.  If I can find anything cheaper, I will go for it.  I wouldn't pay
$25 for the SB16, since the ALS0120 is 98.7% compatible.  Anyway, the LDP and
other docs are 97.5% correct, but you won't get sound until 100%.

> Greetings:
>   Hmm...  I think I have bad news for ya!  Check out the Linux Documentation
> Project's section on Hardware Compatability, specifically, the Unsupported
> section:

>     http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html
>     http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-13.html#ss13.3

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by Edward Le » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Upon closer examination, they have the ALS007 and ESS SOLO 1 on both sides of the
fence (supported and unsupported).  I guess they are supported for payments and
unsupported for problems.

Post by Daniel W. Erskin » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Upon closer examination, they have the ALS007 and ESS SOLO 1 on both sides
of the
>fence (supported and unsupported).  I guess they are supported for payments
and
>unsupported for problems.

>> I know that.  They don't support the cheapest sound cards.  But they
works fine
>> for me.  If you don't believe me, just download the tools at
>> http://204.216.187.141/setpnp.html.  I got my ISA ALS0120 and PCI ESS
SOLO1 for
>> $10 each.  If I can find anything cheaper, I will go for it.  I wouldn't
pay
>> $25 for the SB16, since the ALS0120 is 98.7% compatible.  Anyway, the LDP
and
>> other docs are 97.5% correct, but you won't get sound until 100%.

Greetings:
  It's all a trap-shoot anyways ;)  I have this "thing" about SoundBlaster
compatability, but I also have some rather rouge chipsets too!  An old SB16
with jumpers here, a PnP AWE32 there... an occassional Microsoft SoundSystem
card.  I've got them all to work, minus the few listed in the Hardware
Compatabilty HOWTO ;)  Who knows what tomorrow will bring???  There's always
someone out there, willing to make drivers for archaic adapters and rouge
chipsets!

See ya later...
Daniel W. Erskine

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by herma » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
If I remember correctly, the essolo is a standard chipset in kernel 2.2.13
I tried to get my ess 1938 to work with alsa and succeeded. I only had
problems with a sound mixer and had to set the volume level of the channels
manual.
When I switched to a newer kernel, 2.2.13, I selected the Essolo1 as a static
module in the kernel and it worked.

Maybe this is a hint, I found it easier to upgrade my kernel and select the
essolo than installing Alsa.

Hoped to have helped in some way,

Regards,

Herman

icq 305870

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by Rob Gree » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Arg the chipset ain't old...its a brandnew chipset.
Any Idea where i can find myself a new kernal?

> >Upon closer examination, they have the ALS007 and ESS SOLO 1 on both
sides
> of the
> >fence (supported and unsupported).  I guess they are supported for
payments
> and
> >unsupported for problems.

> >> I know that.  They don't support the cheapest sound cards.  But they
> works fine
> >> for me.  If you don't believe me, just download the tools at
> >> http://204.216.187.141/setpnp.html.  I got my ISA ALS0120 and PCI ESS
> SOLO1 for
> >> $10 each.  If I can find anything cheaper, I will go for it.  I
wouldn't
> pay
> >> $25 for the SB16, since the ALS0120 is 98.7% compatible.  Anyway, the
LDP
> and
> >> other docs are 97.5% correct, but you won't get sound until 100%.

> Greetings:
>   It's all a trap-shoot anyways ;)  I have this "thing" about
SoundBlaster
> compatability, but I also have some rather rouge chipsets too!  An old
SB16
> with jumpers here, a PnP AWE32 there... an occassional Microsoft
SoundSystem
> card.  I've got them all to work, minus the few listed in the Hardware
> Compatabilty HOWTO ;)  Who knows what tomorrow will bring???  There's
always
> someone out there, willing to make drivers for archaic adapters and rouge
> chipsets!

> See ya later...
> Daniel W. Erskine

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

ESS SOLO 1 PCI Sound Card

Post by Edward Le » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Kernel sources are at www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel.
Pre-compiled kernel and modules are at http://204.216.187.141