Linksys USB drive mount problems

Linksys USB drive mount problems

Post by A. Morris » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 08:12:46



I received a Linksys 128MB USB keychain drive for Christmas and up
until last week it was working flawlessly.  As root, I would type:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/keychain/

and it would mount no problem.  I was sharing between Windows, linux
and a Mac without a hitch.  Everytime I used it in linux, I would
umount before removing.

Then, I tried to transfer files to a Mac (OS X) and the Mac thought
that the drive needed to be formatted.  So, the Mac formatted it and
now it doesn't work in linux.  It's been fdisked and formatted in
Windows since the Mac formatting.  I can use it in Windows without a
problem.  Now when I try to mount in linux I get the following error:

# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/keychain/
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

So I tried:

# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/keychain/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       or too many mounted file systems

I don't know what other filesystem it would be, or what to think about
the other possibilities.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Andrew

 
 
 

Linksys USB drive mount problems

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 08:54:26



> I received a Linksys 128MB USB keychain drive for Christmas and up
> until last week it was working flawlessly.  As root, I would type:

> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/keychain/

> and it would mount no problem.  I was sharing between Windows, linux
> and a Mac without a hitch.  Everytime I used it in linux, I would
> umount before removing.

> Then, I tried to transfer files to a Mac (OS X) and the Mac thought
> that the drive needed to be formatted.  So, the Mac formatted it and
> now it doesn't work in linux.  It's been fdisked and formatted in
> Windows since the Mac formatting.  I can use it in Windows without a
> problem.  Now when I try to mount in linux I get the following error:

> # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/keychain/
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type

I'll bet it is /dev/sda4 thanks to the Mac.  Macs are the
reason that Zip disks use partition 4, so I'd guess that
reformatting this device on the Mac moved it to partition 4
for whatever reason.  (Google knows more about the Zip
disk/partition 4 issue if you're interested.)  So try 'mount
/dev/sda4 ..." instead, and see what happens.

 
 
 

Linksys USB drive mount problems

Post by aaron martine » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:51:50




> > I received a Linksys 128MB USB keychain drive for Christmas and up
> > until last week it was working flawlessly.  As root, I would type:

> > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/keychain/

> > and it would mount no problem.  I was sharing between Windows, linux
> > and a Mac without a hitch.  Everytime I used it in linux, I would
> > umount before removing.

> > Then, I tried to transfer files to a Mac (OS X) and the Mac thought
> > that the drive needed to be formatted.  So, the Mac formatted it and
> > now it doesn't work in linux.  It's been fdisked and formatted in
> > Windows since the Mac formatting.  I can use it in Windows without a
> > problem.  Now when I try to mount in linux I get the following error:

> > # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/keychain/
> > mount: you must specify the filesystem type

> I'll bet it is /dev/sda4 thanks to the Mac.  Macs are the
> reason that Zip disks use partition 4, so I'd guess that
> reformatting this device on the Mac moved it to partition 4
> for whatever reason.  (Google knows more about the Zip
> disk/partition 4 issue if you're interested.)  So try 'mount
> /dev/sda4 ..." instead, and see what happens.

don't just try mounting it on a random partition..  simply before trying to
mount it in linux, fdisk it.  "fdisk /dev/sda" and then list print out the
partitions, this will tell you exactly what the partition table looks like.
I do the same thing with a buslink device, and when i first got it...i have
to blow away everything as the partitions were all whacky.  Anyway, then you
can delete and then recreate partitions on the device using linux, including
your vfat so you can see the stufff in windoze.

A

 
 
 

Linksys USB drive mount problems

Post by e.. » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:27:28




> don't just try mounting it on a random partition..  simply before trying to
> mount it in linux, fdisk it.  "fdisk /dev/sda" and then list print out the
> partitions,

fdisk -l /dev/sda

--

CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the
rest of the week face down in the mud.  Try not to shove a roll of
duct tape up your nose when taking your driver's test.  -- Weird Al

 
 
 

Linksys USB drive mount problems

Post by A. Morris » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 23:17:56





> > don't just try mounting it on a random partition..  simply before trying to
> > mount it in linux, fdisk it.  "fdisk /dev/sda" and then list print out the
> > partitions,

> fdisk -l /dev/sda

Okay...I tried that:

# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 5 heads, 50 sectors, 1024 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 250 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1      1024    127950    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/sda2             1      1024    127975    5  Extended
/dev/sda5   *         1      1024    127950    b  Win95 FAT32

Partition table entries are not in disk order


mount: you must specify the filesystem type


mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
       or too many mounted file systems


mount: /dev/sda2 is not a valid block device


mount: /dev/sda5 is not a valid block device

I'm not sure why there are 3 partitions of about 128 MB, either.

 
 
 

Linksys USB drive mount problems

Post by aaro » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:12:05







>> > don't just try mounting it on a random partition..  simply before
>> > trying to
>> > mount it in linux, fdisk it.  "fdisk /dev/sda" and then list print out
>> > the partitions,

>> fdisk -l /dev/sda

> Okay...I tried that:

> # /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sda

> Disk /dev/sda: 5 heads, 50 sectors, 1024 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 250 * 512 bytes

>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *         1      1024    127950    b  Win95 FAT32
> /dev/sda2             1      1024    127975    5  Extended
> /dev/sda5   *         1      1024    127950    b  Win95 FAT32

> Partition table entries are not in disk order

Looks a mess to me.  Just get all the info off that you need, then fdisk the
drive in linux, create one partition using all the space and make it
primary.  You can create whatever kind of partition you like by using the t
command from within fdisk, and l will list out the different codes.  write
it out and then in linux make the filesystem, then you can mount it.
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/keychain


> mount: you must specify the filesystem type


> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
>        or too many mounted file systems


> mount: /dev/sda2 is not a valid block device

You can't mount the extended filesystem, it is just a placeholder of sorts
for the actual partitions within this partition.


> mount: /dev/sda5 is not a valid block device

> I'm not sure why there are 3 partitions of about 128 MB, either.

There aren't, it would be odd if you had 384 megs of drive on a keychain
that only has 128megs of space.  This is caused by some goofy partitioning
on your mac i assume.

A

 
 
 

Linksys USB drive mount problems

Post by e.. » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 01:45:20







> > > don't just try mounting it on a random partition..  simply before trying to
> > > mount it in linux, fdisk it.  "fdisk /dev/sda" and then list print out the
> > > partitions,

> > fdisk -l /dev/sda

> Okay...I tried that:

> # /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sda

> Disk /dev/sda: 5 heads, 50 sectors, 1024 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 250 * 512 bytes

>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *         1      1024    127950    b  Win95 FAT32
> /dev/sda2             1      1024    127975    5  Extended
> /dev/sda5   *         1      1024    127950    b  Win95 FAT32

Looks like the partition table is messed up (or I can't read it).  Since sda5
is the only logical partition within sda2 (extended), it's correct that it
should overlay the same sectors as sda2.  See, look at mine:

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 7297 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1       100    803218+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2           101       150    401625   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda4           151      7297  57408277+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5           151       240    722893+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6           241       330    722893+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7           331       400    562243+  83  Linux
/dev/hda8           401       460    481918+  83  Linux
/dev/hda9           461       600   1124518+  83  Linux
/dev/hda10          601       850   2008093+  83  Linux
/dev/hda11          851      1200   2811343+  83  Linux

In mine, hda4 is the extended partition; in yours, it's sda2.  But the point
is that partitions 5 and higher overlay the same sectors as the extended
partition.  Also, logical partitions always start at #5, no matter what the
previous number is.  Cylinders 1201-7297 are not allocated.

But I think it's wrong for sda1 to be there too on your disk.  Use another
system to mount sda5, since you say it works there.  Copy the data off.  Try
deleting sda1.  If that doesn't work, erase the partition table ("dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda" should do it, although you only need to overwrite
a few blocks ["bs=512 count=10" or so], not the whole disk) and use Linux
fdisk to recreate it.  Then format the partition, mount it, and copy your
data back.

--

CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the
rest of the week face down in the mud.  Try not to shove a roll of
duct tape up your nose when taking your driver's test.  -- Weird Al

 
 
 

Linksys USB drive mount problems

Post by Andrew Morriso » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 07:32:46




>># /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sda

>>Disk /dev/sda: 5 heads, 50 sectors, 1024 cylinders
>>Units = cylinders of 250 * 512 bytes

>>   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
>>/dev/sda1   *         1      1024    127950    b  Win95 FAT32
>>/dev/sda2             1      1024    127975    5  Extended
>>/dev/sda5   *         1      1024    127950    b  Win95 FAT32

>>Partition table entries are not in disk order

> Looks a mess to me.  Just get all the info off that you need, then fdisk the
> drive in linux, create one partition using all the space and make it
> primary.  You can create whatever kind of partition you like by using the t
> command from within fdisk, and l will list out the different codes.  write
> it out and then in linux make the filesystem, then you can mount it.
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/keychain

Okay!   Thanks so much to everyone!!!   The final step that made
everything work was after the fdisk step, I did:

#mkdosfs /dev/sda1

Now all works as before!!   Thanks again.

Andrew

 
 
 

1. Problem mounting ZIP 250 USB drive

Hello all,

Hello all,

When I try to mount my ZIP USB drive (mount -t vfat /dev/sda
/mnt/usbzip) with a PC formated disk (empty or full), I get the following error :

mount : type fs incorrect, incorrect option, incorrect superblock on /dev/sda,
       or too many filesystems mounted.

The drive light flashes and I hear the drive starts to spin but it just
gives out that error message. Anybody have an idea ?

Note :
        _ I have all necessary USB options enabled in kernel (no modules)
        _ I have the USB device filesystem mounted ok (entry in fstab), i can
see the entry in /proc/bus/usb
        _ I have set the necessary options for scsi. I can see information on my
device in proc/scsi/scsi.
        _ I have created a usbzip directory in /mnt.

2. Infomagic 3 CD December '94 distribution

3. SSLMutex lockfile problems

4. usb drive mount problems

5. Interrupts while booting 2.4.29 on Asus P3V4X

6. USB Linksys Card on and PCI-USB card

7. Rotate in GIMP?

8. Solaris USB driver for Linksys USB Ethernet controller (USB200M)

9. Mounting USB drive in FC3

10. How-to mount an usb cdrw drive

11. Help on Mounting USB mini drive

12. Sun Solaris USB Flash Drive mount command (scsa2usb driver)