DEC 21041 (Tulip) Problems under RHL 5.0

DEC 21041 (Tulip) Problems under RHL 5.0

Post by jh.. » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I _just_ installed RHL 5.0, and I've had some real problems getting my
Ethernet card to function properly.  This is somewhat unsurprising to me,
because I've never really had much luck getting my ethernet card to work
under linux, except for once, and I couldn't tell you how I did that
particular trick for the life of me.  Problem is, I know the card works: I
did an FTP install with it, and now I can't use it...  If that sounds weird,
it is.
What I'm looking for, basically, is any info that is not in the Ethernet-
HOWTO.  I've tried using the tulip.c module, building a kernel with tulip
built in, and other crazy stuff.  I have used ifconfig to set up the hardware
with an IP address (that I know works; i'm using it to use WinNT to send this
message), a broadcast address, and a netmask.  I would really appreciate any
help.  Thanks.
James

DEC 21041 (Tulip) Problems under RHL 5.0

Post by Brian Rile » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am surprised to hear you are having problems with this card, as I have been
using one with linux for years starting with Release 1.2. In fact, I just
installed RHL 5.0 on my server tonight and the install program detected the Tulip
card and configured it properly.

I would suggest you check the IRQ it is using and make sure it is not shareing an
IRQ with another card. Also, try moving it to another PCI slot to see if that
helps.

> I _just_ installed RHL 5.0, and I've had some real problems getting my
> Ethernet card to function properly.  This is somewhat unsurprising to me,
> because I've never really had much luck getting my ethernet card to work
> under linux, except for once, and I couldn't tell you how I did that
> particular trick for the life of me.  Problem is, I know the card works: I
> did an FTP install with it, and now I can't use it...  If that sounds weird,
> it is.
> What I'm looking for, basically, is any info that is not in the Ethernet-
> HOWTO.  I've tried using the tulip.c module, building a kernel with tulip
> built in, and other crazy stuff.  I have used ifconfig to set up the hardware
> with an IP address (that I know works; i'm using it to use WinNT to send this
> message), a broadcast address, and a netmask.  I would really appreciate any
> help.  Thanks.
> James

DEC 21041 (Tulip) Problems under RHL 5.0

Post by tod » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I just installed a Tulip based card a couple of days ago and
agree with the suggestion that you should check the IRQ.  Mine
didn't work right off so I watched the boot up and it turns out
that my scsi card and the tulip had both latched on to IRQ 10.
I removed the scsi card and rebooted and the tulip ethernet card
worked fine.  Plugged the scsi card back in and it auto-magically
switched to IRQ 9 (some kind of plug and play magic?).  Everything
is working great now.
Todd

Post by Joel Gallu » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I just installed a Tulip based card a couple of days ago and
> agree with the suggestion that you should check the IRQ.  Mine
> didn't work right off so I watched the boot up and it turns out
> that my scsi card and the tulip had both latched on to IRQ 10.

Another handy trick to try when this happens is to go into the BIOS
and tell it that the IRQ that it assigned the two devices to is in use
by a legacy ISA device. In my experience the BIOS they assigned the PCI
devices to two different IRQs.

--

Open system and Internet consulting             Washington, D.C.

1. Need help with a Linksys PCI Combo Board (DEC 21041 Tulip)

Hi,

I am trying to install Redhat Linux 4.2 in a PC with a Linksys Combo
Board and it will not talk to my othe Win95 PC.  I have it connected
using the Thinwire Connector.  When I boot the PC with Win95 it works
fine but it will not work with Linux.  I suspect it is trying to use
the twisted pair wire but I'm not sure.

Anybody know the tricks to get this to work under linux?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

2. IPF performance

3. 21041 (Tulip) Card Problems

4. Problem with Redhat 7.0

5. Network Problem (DEC Chip 21041)

6. **Wanted: Matrices, experience about deploying UNIX servers**

7. DEC 21041 problem redhat 9

8. CDROM installation probs

9. Problem with DEC 21041 based Ethernet card on ASUS PC

10. Testing DEC 21041 and 21142 chipsets (tulip): it looks like kernels after 2.4.4 does not work with 21041; and 21142 does not work in 10M net at all

11. 2.4.6-pre4 tulip driver still mashed with 21041

12. 21041 and tulip driver

13. DEC 21041