Pinnacle Apex 4.6 GB magneto optical disk in Linux?

Pinnacle Apex 4.6 GB magneto optical disk in Linux?

Post by Espen San » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am planning to buy some Pinnacle Apex 4.6 GB magneto
optical disks with SCSI interface.

Will these units work under Linux?

Since it is SCSI based, I don't think there would be any problem, but
I don't know if there are any problems with the filesystem, ejecting
of disks etc. In the SCSI howto there is nothing that says that this
unit can not be used, but there is nothing that says in can be used
either.

----
Espen Sand, Research Scientist at Norsk Elektro Optikk A/S

      Address: Solheimveien 62A, P.O.Box 384, N-1471 Skarer, Norway.

      Address: Evje terrasse 3B, N-1300 Sandvika, Norway.
----

Post by Richard McRober » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: I am planning to buy some Pinnacle Apex 4.6 GB magneto
: optical disks with SCSI interface.

: Will these units work under Linux?

MO-disks with 512-byte sectoring do work.  I have a Pinnacle 230MB
which works fine, except for a very noisy fan.  The generic scsi
hard disk driver works fine.

Units with 2048-byte sectoring (which include the various 640MB units;
I don't know about Pinnnacle's 4.6GB product) are reported to need
kernel patches, such as those in the Linux-kernel-archive (posted
fairly recently -- in the last few weeks) at
   http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/index.html
I don't have any experience with those patches myself, although I've
been following the topic in hopes of someday acquiring a 640MB unit.

So you should investigate the sector size, for sure.

Hope this helps, and happy Linux-ing.

Duff McRoberts

Post by Art Mil » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

[...]

Anybody know if the jukebox works under linux ???
or any brand of jukebox that does

1. FS: 4.2GB 512 byte/sector Pinnacle Micro Apex disk

I decided not to keep the Apex drive I purchased
awhile ago.  I returned it, but I still have a
disk for it.  I already opened it, so I'm willing
to take a hit from what I paid.

This is the special 512 (not 1024) byte/sector
style that works with UNIX boxes in addition to
the other platforms.  It's *almost* new - just
missing the shrink wrap.

I'll sell for the first $115, but I'll gladly
take offers.  It's here in Indiana, but it should
not be a problem to ship it.

--kyler

2. X11 crash report

3. Apex 4.6 Gig Drive

4. Help wanted, Plan9 a piece of junk!

5. SunOS Magneto Optical disks under Linux

6. MS's office of the future!

7. SCSI problem with Linux 2.0.0 and Sony RMO-S594 (magneto-optical disk)

8. Network monitoing tools

9. Pinnacle Micro Optical PMO 650 Optical Drive

10. Magneto Optical disk: problem with Philips

11. 3.5" 650 MB Magneto Optical Disk support?

12. Magneto optical disks

13. Boot from Magneto-Optical Disk problems (HP1716T)