Anybody know how to make Intel Ether Express work?

Anybody know how to make Intel Ether Express work?

Post by Lester Hightow » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I have an Intel Ether Express ISA card.  The card is on IRQ 11 and at
base address 220.  I can't really move it around 'cause I've got lots
of other cards in the machine using IRQs.  The card works fine if I boot
my machine into DOS/Windoze 3.11; but Linux does not recognize the card
when it boots.  I have tried 1.1.59, 1.2.6, and 1.3.6 compiling support
for the Ether Express into all three -- none of them see the card.

Anybody got this card working in Linux.  If so how and with what kernel,
base address, and IRQ.

Thanks much for any and all help,
Lester Hightower (http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~hightowe)
System Software Developer
Wide Area Networked Environment Project (http://www-wane.scri.fsu.edu)
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute (http://www.scri.fsu.edu)

Post by Paul Gortmak » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I have an Intel Ether Express ISA card.  The card is on IRQ 11 and at
>base address 220.  I can't really move it around 'cause I've got lots
>of other cards in the machine using IRQs.  The card works fine if I boot
>my machine into DOS/Windoze 3.11; but Linux does not recognize the card
>when it boots.  I have tried 1.1.59, 1.2.6, and 1.3.6 compiling support
>for the Ether Express into all three -- none of them see the card.

That is because 0x220 is not one of the probed addresses. You can either
add 0x220 to the list of probed addresses, (which will involve a recompile)
or just tell the driver the details of the card via a boot prompt to
the kernel. If using LILO, this is as simple as:

LILO: linux ether=11,0x220,eth0

Paul.

1. NEED HELP making Intel Ether Express pro 10 work with Linux!!

Hi,

        Title basically said it all.
        Any help or pointer to a FAQ will really be appreciated.

Thanks

BOB

Robert S Hidajat

Friley 2242 Godfrey
IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY
Ames, Iowa 50012-0001

2. Is there a KERMIT supporting TCP/IP ?

3. Will an Intel Ether Express Pro/10+ card work?

4. OSI Stack in Linux

5. NEED HELP to make Intel Ether Express 10 work with Linux!!

6. XConfig for NEC Monitor

7. anyone using intel ether express with solaris 2.4 x86?

8. Jumbo hard drives-there's gotta be an easier way

9. Intel Ether Express 16 ?

10. Intel Ether Express

11. Intel Ether Express ISA Pro 10 + ?

12. Q: Intel Ether Express 16 and Linux ?

13. (x86)Intel Ether Express 10/100 problems!