Dual cpu problem

Post by Dan Taylo » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

What expert setting do I us e to have my dual 350 MHz pentium 2 be
recognized by the RedHat 6 intall program?

e.g. boot: expert (what goes here)?

Dual cpu problem

Post by Swietanowski Artu » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> What expert setting do I us e to have my dual 350 MHz pentium 2 be
> recognized by the RedHat 6 intall program?

None. RH 6 by default installs an SMP kernel, and from there on you
go parallel! Maybe the installation itself would use only one
processor, but would you care?

HTH,

Institut fr Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universit?t Wien,     Universit?tsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

Dual cpu problem

Post by scot » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> What expert setting do I us e to have my dual 350 MHz pentium 2 be
>> recognized by the RedHat 6 intall program?

>None. RH 6 by default installs an SMP kernel, and from there on you
>go parallel! Maybe the installation itself would use only one
>processor, but would you care?

So if I installl RH 6.0 on a single CPU system and then I add a second CPU RH
willt ake advantage of the second CPU without any changes?

Dual cpu problem

Post by Swietanowski Artu » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >(...) RH 6 by default installs an SMP kernel, and from there on you
> >go parallel!

> So if I installl RH 6.0 on a single CPU system and then I add a
> second CPU RH willt ake advantage of the second CPU without any
> changes?

I't not about RH or not RH, it's about kernel option for SMP. As
long as your kernel is compiled with SMP support, adding a second
(third or fourth) CPU requires no changes to anything.

So if you upgrade a kernel, make sure you compile it with SMP
support.

Post by jtsa.. » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>>> What expert setting do I us e to have my dual 350 MHz pentium 2 be
>>> recognized by the RedHat 6 intall program?

>>None. RH 6 by default installs an SMP kernel, and from there on you
>>go parallel! Maybe the installation itself would use only one
>>processor, but would you care?

s>So if I installl RH 6.0 on a single CPU system and then I add a second CPU RH
s>willt ake advantage of the second CPU without any changes?

No.  By default RH 6.0 installs non SMP kernel if you don't have the
second CPU.  When you add the secnd CPU, you will have to install
kernel-smp.*.rpm and then change your /etc/lilo.conf to point to the new
image (you may also need to create a new initrd image) and run lilo.

1. tyan 1662D Natoma 4.0e Dual CPU problems

I've installed a New evaluation BIOS on my Tyan TITAN PRO 1662D motherboard
and even though the BIOS recognises 2 CPUs Linux no longer does.

I know that my kernel is SMP because the 3.03 bios worked fine,
unfortunately the 3.03 bios does not allow me to boot from my SCSI harddisk.

It comes up with the error message:

Booting CPU 1 stack 00002000: Not responding
Error only 1 cpu detected.

and drops out of SMP mode.

I thought this would be a problem with the BIOS but have been informed
(in the Tyan NG) that other SMP os's do not have this problem.

Anyone had the experience?
Or any SMP kernel hackers want to do some debugging?

--
-- mark heath - Unix System Programmer/Engineer - Netspace Online Systems.
-- http://www.netspace.net.au/                        [Personal /~mheath]

2. DNS on home LAN

3. Dual CPU Problem - IBM PC365

4. Adaptec 7850 Fast SCSI-2 Support

5. Dual CPU problem?

6. Intel E100B with Linux-- Need Help

7. PROBLEM: Dual (2) AMD ATHLON MP 1900+ CPUs gives APIC error on CPU[0]: 00(02)

8. RFC: System for fast dynamic web content (PHP/CGI/PERL/DBI)

9. dual cpu motherboard for Red Hat Linux 6.2 on X86 cpu

10. High system CPU% in dual CPU System

11. dual cpu vs single cpu for apache

12. dual cpu act like a 4 cpu (intel SE7500CW2)

13. 2 single CPU mother board and one dual-CPU mother board