Is a quiet Opteron workstation possible?

Is a quiet Opteron workstation possible?

Post by General Schvantzkop » Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:00:32

I'm thinking about building a new workstation and I have two conflicting
objectives, on the one hand I want to start playing with the Opteron on
the other I have an absolute requirement that it be quiet. How loud is the
standard AMD supplied fan on the Opteron? does anyone have any
recommendations for an Opteron compatible third party fan that's both
quiet and does a good cooling job.

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:38:06

> does anyone have any recommendations for an Opteron compatible third
> party fan that's both quiet and does a good cooling job.

The most silent solution must be the Heatlane Zen NCU-1000 found at
http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/english/ncu1000_e.html

Unfortunately I don't think it is avaiable for opteron, but maybe it would
be possible to build an adapter? There are also different reviews of this
cooling device on the net.

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

Post by ray » Tue, 04 Nov 2003 08:28:42

> I'm thinking about building a new workstation and I have two conflicting
> objectives, on the one hand I want to start playing with the Opteron on
> the other I have an absolute requirement that it be quiet. How loud is the
> standard AMD supplied fan on the Opteron? does anyone have any
> recommendations for an Opteron compatible third party fan that's both
> quiet and does a good cooling job.

If you are after quiet, I suggest you start at www.mini-itx.com. I
recently put together a mini-itx barebones system for about $350 (after
rebates) - and it is quiet.

Post by Peter T. Breue » Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:00:02

> > I'm thinking about building a new workstation and I have two conflicting
> > objectives, on the one hand I want to start playing with the Opteron on
> > the other I have an absolute requirement that it be quiet. How loud is the
> > standard AMD supplied fan on the Opteron? does anyone have any
> > recommendations for an Opteron compatible third party fan that's both
> > quiet and does a good cooling job.
> If you are after quiet, I suggest you start at www.mini-itx.com. I
> recently put together a mini-itx barebones system for about $350 (after
> rebates) - and it is quiet.

That's nice. But I recently bought a micro-atx board (a-open) and
it's not very much bigger. 3 pci slots, onboard rtl8139 nic and ac97
sound, all working. I got it because I found a tiny case - which fits
nicely in a drawer under my desk.

It's a slot 370. I put a P3 1000 in, and clocked it back to 750MHz.
I am running a copper heat sink and no cpu fan, and temperature is
fine (38C and steady in the bios, which runs the cpu hard).

Only problem is that cpufreq doesn't yet have a driver for this and
acpi sees processor but not temperature. Have to wait a bit.

I stuck in only 128M of memory, but I will put in more. I turned off
all swap, set bdflush to not age pages for the max time, mounted
all file systems async and noatime, and went through syslog making
every entry async (apache needs torturing too). Then I set the ide
disk to spindown after 5s. It spends about 5m idle, then spins up -
I haven't found what's tickling it yet. Maybe cron or the software
watchdog.

Peter

Is a quiet Opteron workstation possible?

Post by Steve Wolf » Tue, 04 Nov 2003 08:55:29

Quote:> I'm thinking about building a new workstation and I have two conflicting
> objectives, on the one hand I want to start playing with the Opteron on
> the other I have an absolute requirement that it be quiet. How loud is the
> standard AMD supplied fan on the Opteron? does anyone have any
> recommendations for an Opteron compatible third party fan that's both
> quiet and does a good cooling job.

  If AMD's factory AthlonMP heat sinks are of any indication, they'll be as
loud as jet engines!  However, there are already several vendors offering
passive (no fan) heat sinks for Opterons.  Here's a link:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20030604182552.html

  Make sure your case is WELL ventilated, and you should be set.  Use 120mm
fans for ventilation, not 80's.

steve

Is a quiet Opteron workstation possible?

Post by a » Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:21:06

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:00:32 -0500, "General Schvantzkoph"

>I'm thinking about building a new workstation and I have two conflicting
>objectives, on the one hand I want to start playing with the Opteron on
>the other I have an absolute requirement that it be quiet. How loud is the
>standard AMD supplied fan on the Opteron? does anyone have any
>recommendations for an Opteron compatible third party fan that's both
>quiet and does a good cooling job.

Take a look at www.shuttle.com and look at their XPC system units.  I
believe they now have  one for the Opteron.  They DO NOT use fans.
Instead they use a heat-pipe with a radiator (opps - there is a
variable speed fan for the radiator) but mine runs so cool the fan
hardly every blows and when it does it cannot be heard.

Good luck.

Post by Christopher Brown » Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:07:37

>> I'm thinking about building a new workstation and I have two conflicting
>> objectives, on the one hand I want to start playing with the Opteron on
>> the other I have an absolute requirement that it be quiet. How loud is the
>> standard AMD supplied fan on the Opteron? does anyone have any
>> recommendations for an Opteron compatible third party fan that's both
>> quiet and does a good cooling job.

> If you are after quiet, I suggest you start at www.mini-itx.com. I
> recently put together a mini-itx barebones system for about $350
> (after rebates) - and it is quiet.

But this requires that you get an Opteron-compatible "mini-ITX"
motherboard.

I don't think that any of those exist just yet.  There are ATX Opteron
boards, Extended ATX motherboards, and SSI motherboards, but as far as
I can see, none that would be smaller.

Rules of the Evil Overlord #69.  "All midwives will be banned from the
realm.    All   babies   will    be   delivered    at   state-approved
hospitals. Orphans  will be placed  in foster-homes, not  abandoned in
the   woods    to   be   raised    by   creatures   of    the   wild."
<http://www.eviloverlord.com/>

Post by General Schvantzkop » Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:29:45

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:00:32 -0500, "General Schvantzkoph"

>>I'm thinking about building a new workstation and I have two conflicting
>>objectives, on the one hand I want to start playing with the Opteron on
>>the other I have an absolute requirement that it be quiet. How loud is the
>>standard AMD supplied fan on the Opteron? does anyone have any
>>recommendations for an Opteron compatible third party fan that's both
>>quiet and does a good cooling job.

> Take a look at www.shuttle.com and look at their XPC system units.  I
> believe they now have  one for the Opteron.  They DO NOT use fans.
> Instead they use a heat-pipe with a radiator (opps - there is a
> variable speed fan for the radiator) but mine runs so cool the fan
> hardly every blows and when it does it cannot be heard.

> Good luck.

The shuttle systems are interesting, unfortunately the motherboard only has
two DIMM sockets and the ethernet port is only 100Mbit. An Opteron with
only two DIMM sockets is pointless, in the life of that system it will
never be possible to exceed 4G. Also the castrated version of Athlon64
doesn't support ECC, I'm only interested in systems with ECC, 4 DIMM
sockets and gigabit ethernet so I'm limited to the standard ATX from
factor. There are several boxes with liquid cooling available, are any of
them Opteron compatible?

Post by Jared Richardso » Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:56:15

Quote:> I'm thinking about building a new workstation and I have two conflicting
> objectives, on the one hand I want to start playing with the Opteron on
> the other I have an absolute requirement that it be quiet. How loud is the
> standard AMD supplied fan on the Opteron? does anyone have any
> recommendations for an Opteron compatible third party fan that's both
> quiet and does a good cooling job.

I've got a dual Opteron that I bought from MicroPro.  They put two Cooler
Master fans in it and it is the quietest machine I've had in ages.  It makes
the old machine (a 1.3 ghz Thunderbird) sound like a hair drier! :)  I
haven't even bothered to move the water cooling rig over because the noise
delta would be so minor.

So, yes, it is very possible to get a quiet Opteron setup.

Post by General Schvantzkop » Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:55:23

>> does anyone have any recommendations for an Opteron compatible third
>> party fan that's both quiet and does a good cooling job.

> The most silent solution must be the Heatlane Zen NCU-1000 found at
> http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/english/ncu1000_e.html

> Unfortunately I don't think it is avaiable for opteron, but maybe it would
> be possible to build an adapter? There are also different reviews of this
> cooling device on the net.

> regards Henrik

That solution looks so good that I might consider one more P4 and save the
Opterons for my next compute server.

Post by Guy Fawke » Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:36:52

>>> does anyone have any recommendations for an Opteron compatible third
>>> party fan that's both quiet and does a good cooling job.

>> The most silent solution must be the Heatlane Zen NCU-1000 found at
>> http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/english/ncu1000_e.html

>> Unfortunately I don't think it is avaiable for opteron, but maybe it
>> would be possible to build an adapter? There are also different reviews
>> of this cooling device on the net.

>> regards Henrik

> That solution looks so good that I might consider one more P4 and save the
> Opterons for my next compute server.

it's only a heatpipe tweaked heatsink (and the heatpipe means orientation is
going to be very important) as found in just about every relatively recent
laptop, while it might be quiet it certainly won't possess any magical
cooling properties. Notably the "specification" data such as it is is based
upon notoriously unreliable motherboard sensors, and doesn't explain how
long it takes to go from idle temp 18 c to running 43 c, this is a pretty
large range by any standards and certainly does not = a stated maximimum.

speaking for myself I'd settle for nothing less than a human monitored 24
hour full load burn in under adverse ambient conditions if I was going to
trust expensive new kit (and the apps likely to require it) to what is
after all one of the cheapest components in a new box.

--
Liquid Cooled PC? --> http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/

E-mail (rot-13) qnirahyy NG oyhrlbaqre QBG pb QBG hx -- Cable server
http://80.235.132.38:800/
EoF

Post by baskitcais » Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:20:08

>>> does anyone have any recommendations for an Opteron compatible third
>>> party fan that's both quiet and does a good cooling job.

>> The most silent solution must be the Heatlane Zen NCU-1000 found at
>> http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/english/ncu1000_e.html

>> Unfortunately I don't think it is avaiable for opteron, but maybe it would
>> be possible to build an adapter? There are also different reviews of this
>> cooling device on the net.

>> regards Henrik

> That solution looks so good that I might consider one more P4 and save the
> Opterons for my next compute server.

looks ok till you read the limitations:-

This product is designed with maximum CPU load for P4 up to 2.8GHz as
e-mailing, internet browsing, using word processor, spreadsheet software or
equivalent at ambient temperature up to 25oC.
 We assume no liability and provide no warranty for accidents and damages
caused by the use of the product at higher CPU load environment than the
above.
 This product does not guarantee performance at high CPU load environment such
as data encoding, decoding, benchmark software running, etc.

No UT2003 then or a 3000 chip :(

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.

1. Quiet fan recomendations for an single Opteron system

I'm about to build a new workstation based on an ASUS SK8V and an Opteron
146. I want the system to be quiet. Does anyone have a recomendations for
fans that are both quiet and also do a decent job of cooling the CPU. How
noisy is the stock cooler? Power supply recommendations would alos be
appreciated, I'm leaning towards an Enermax 470W Noisetaker.

2. Openwindows.Beep on Solaris 8

3. Opteron workstation mother board recommendations

4. suEXEC vs CGI Wrap

5. Sun's new Opteron based workstations

6. Looking for an X CD player...

7. Opteron Workstation Motherboard Recommendations

8. running from a mounted partition on embedded linux

9. Could this be the Opteron Workstation?

10. SCO ARCServ backing up Win95 workstations with Novell client32 installed possible??

11. FreeBSD on a HP workstation: it it possible???

12. Peer-to-Peer Network of LINUX Workstations, IS IT POSSIBLE?

13. Help: Linux Internt Gateway for NT workstations..possible?