ISDN 128k w/ BitSurfer & Postscript with Canon BJC-4100

ISDN 128k w/ BitSurfer & Postscript with Canon BJC-4100

Post by Guruprasad Ra » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have two questions I hope some expert out there can help me with. I am
thinking of getting a ISDN line with SouthWestern Bell, our provider out
here in San Antonio, TX. It is a 128K line with 2 B channels. I am
planning on getting a Motorola BitSurfer Pro to act as a router. Would
that work with my Linux system that I have set up exactly the way I like
it (after a lot of heartache) with a regular internal modem?
I have a Cannon BubbleJet color printer BJC-4100. Is there a postscript
driver available for it?

Thanks in advance....

Guruprasad Rao
Software Consultant

ISDN 128k w/ BitSurfer & Postscript with Canon BJC-4100

Post by Roger Li » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have two questions I hope some expert out there can help me with. I am
>thinking of getting a ISDN line with SouthWestern Bell, our provider out
>here in San Antonio, TX. It is a 128K line with 2 B channels. I am
>planning on getting a Motorola BitSurfer Pro to act as a router. Would
>that work with my Linux system that I have set up exactly the way I like
>it (after a lot of heartache) with a regular internal modem?

When using just one B channel the Bitsurfers emulate modems.  Thus your
Linux box can act as router.  Perhaps you are looking for an isdn bridge?

--Roger Liew

Post by StriderCentau » Wed, 25 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have two questions I hope some expert out there can help me with. I am
> thinking of getting a ISDN line with SouthWestern Bell, our provider out
> here in San Antonio, TX. It is a 128K line with 2 B channels. I am
> planning on getting a Motorola BitSurfer Pro to act as a router. Would
> that work with my Linux system that I have set up exactly the way I like
> it (after a lot of heartache) with a regular internal modem?
> I have a Cannon BubbleJet color printer BJC-4100. Is there a postscript
> driver available for it?

> Thanks in advance....

        Well actualy the Bit Surfer works fine.  I upgraded from a cardnal 28.8
to my ISDN Bitsurfer Pro and only had to change the Chat script that

get 2B channels and have my box set up as the router for my network at
home.  I have noticed that the BitSurfer Pro does not yeild as good of a
ping time as the US Robotics internal ISDM modem ( I imagine it has
propagation introduced by the Serial Port UART.  About 40ms worth on
average. ). Im trying to find out if Linux supports the US Robotics ISDN
modem so I can switch to that.  But for the most part I have no
complaints with my BitSurfer Pro.  I connect to Bell Atlantic and I have
two ISDN lines.  One is on a NE-1 and the other connects to a DSM 100
switch.  Both work fine.

        Hope this helps

        Ron Burton

Post by Tom Marsha » Wed, 25 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> I have two questions I hope some expert out there can help me with. I am
>> thinking of getting a ISDN line with SouthWestern Bell, our provider out
>> here in San Antonio, TX. It is a 128K line with 2 B channels. I am
>> planning on getting a Motorola BitSurfer Pro to act as a router. Would
>> that work with my Linux system that I have set up exactly the way I like
>> it (after a lot of heartache) with a regular internal modem?
>    Well actualy the Bit Surfer works fine.  I upgraded from a cardnal 28.8
>to my ISDN Bitsurfer Pro and only had to change the Chat script that
>initialized the modem.

Same here, I'm using an external Bitsurfr Pro with my Linux box to route traffic
to the 'real world' from a small ethernet lan.  Works like a charm!  It just
takes masqerading, ppp, and diald working together.

I'm looking for a high speed serial card... probably a Hayes ESP.  I estimate
that I'm losing about 25% of my throughput due to the serial port.

ISDN 128k w/ BitSurfer & Postscript with Canon BJC-4100

Post by Gary Chambe » Thu, 26 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm looking for a high speed serial card... probably a Hayes ESP.  I estimate
>that I'm losing about 25% of my throughput due to the serial port.

Great choice in intelligent serial cards.  I've been using the ESP (1,
2-port, 1, 1-port) for over 3 years without a hitch.  Because their
maximum speed is 921.6kbps, you shouldn't have a problem with ISDN
overflow.  If you can get-away with it, and the drivers are available,
you could probably run at 230.4kbps and not use a single IRQ (don't
quote me on that speed, that's coming from long-term memory).

--
GeeCee

//---------------------------------------------------------------

// http://www.ime.net/~geecee
// Topsham, ME, USA - N43 57.0' / W069 57.0'

Post by Roeland Th. Jans » Fri, 03 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a high speed serial card... probably a Hayes ESP.  I estimate
> that I'm losing about 25% of my throughput due to the serial port.

using an esp from hayes -- highly recommended (and in the 2.1.16... up
series, it's standard kernel..)

running my card at 460k8 on the ZyXEl E2864i
--
Grobbebol's Home (Linux 2.0.x i586)