CD Writing on networked Linux box

Post by Tomas Reze » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi there,

does anybody have an experience with $Subject ? I have heard some bad news
about it, the guys told me that it is necessary to disconnect the computer
from the NET etc.

My cfg. will be Yamaha SCSI, HDD SCSI, Dual 2*P150 Mhz, 64 MB RAM. There
will not be running expensive jobs during the writing, I need just to
receive email etc.

Please mail (and also post) your answers,

Tomas Rezek
.______________________________________________________________________.
|                                                                      |
| ---------->>      T  o  m  a  s     R  e  z  e  k     <<------------ |
|                                                                      |
|    Astronomical Institute of Czech Academy of Science, Ondrejov      |

|  Snail: Tomas Rezek, Astronomicky ustav AV CR, 251 65 Ondrejov, CZ   |

Post by Uwe Girli » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: My cfg. will be Yamaha SCSI, HDD SCSI, Dual 2*P150 Mhz, 64 MB RAM. There
: will not be running expensive jobs during the writing, I need just to
: receive email etc.
We do it all the time. The only restriction is to shut down
Mathematica. I even wrote a CD with a zombie Netscape (100% on one
processor). Dual processor is a must.

Uwe

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Hi there,

> does anybody have an experience with $Subject ? I have heard some bad news
> about it, the guys told me that it is necessary to disconnect the computer
> from the NET etc.

> My cfg. will be Yamaha SCSI, HDD SCSI, Dual 2*P150 Mhz, 64 MB RAM. There
> will not be running expensive jobs during the writing, I need just to
> receive email etc.

Basically, the problem is that cd writers can't stop writing and then just
pick it up again.  This is compounded by the fact that most of them have a
small write cache.  As long as your machine can still keep a constant
stream of data w/out interruption during the entire write process (which it
looks like your setup could :), you should be fine. Note, though, that you
may want to check cron for jobs that could cause problems, updatedb in
particular.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!