Use /dev/st0 or /dev/ht0 - which one for a AIT IDE drive?

Use /dev/st0 or /dev/ht0 - which one for a AIT IDE drive?

Post by Per Münste » Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:06:05

I need some help... on hardware addressing:

I use a AIT IDE tape drive - The drive should have been moved to new and
much
faster server (2,4 ghz). It seems that in the faster server running the same
RH version (RH8) as the older -  requires the drive to be addressed as
/dev/ht0 - the drive starts spinning, but fails to go very far. On the old
server the drive is addressed as /dev/st0 - and it works properly. Why those
different device names?

Why the distinction between /dev/ht0 and /dev/st0?

Regards

And virtuel flowers to the one who brings the answer to the queustion. ;-)

Per M

Post by Mikael Petterss » Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:11:08

>I need some help... on hardware addressing:

>I use a AIT IDE tape drive - The drive should have been moved to new and
>much
>faster server (2,4 ghz). It seems that in the faster server running the same
>RH version (RH8) as the older -  requires the drive to be addressed as
>/dev/ht0 - the drive starts spinning, but fails to go very far. On the old
>server the drive is addressed as /dev/st0 - and it works properly. Why those
>different device names?

>Why the distinction between /dev/ht0 and /dev/st0?

/dev/ht0 is for when the unit is driven by ide-tape.
/dev/st0 is for when the unit is driven by ide-scsi + st.

The general consensus seems to be that ide-scsi+st is more
reliable than ide-tape.
--

Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sat, 12 Jun 2004 02:34:44

>> Why the distinction between /dev/ht0 and /dev/st0?

> /dev/ht0 is for when the unit is driven by ide-tape.
> /dev/st0 is for when the unit is driven by ide-scsi + st.

And one big fat warning. The /dev/st0 drive (and I suspect the /dev/ht0
as well) is a so called rewinding device. It means that whenever you
open the device and close it, it will rewind. So if you decide to
have multiple backups on the tape, through something like this

for dir in /usr/ /var/ /home/; do
        tar cf /dev/st0 $dir
done

Then you will first write /usr/ to the beginning of the tape, then
rewind when tar closes it, then write /var/ to the beginning of the
tape (and essentially overwrite /usr/), and so on. So if you need
multiple backups on the same tape, use the /dev/nst0 device.

Read the "st" manpage.

Vilmos

1. HELP: /dev/hda1 to /dev/st0

Hello...

I dont read this group regulary, so please, if you have an answer for

This is probably a RTFM question, but I dont know where to find
the correct FM... ;-)

I have both Windows and Red Hat 6.1 installed. I also have a SCSI tape
(HP 1588A) attached.

Now Windows stubbornly refuses to make a 100% backup of itself while
running; so I tried to use Linux for making a backup of the Windows
partition for "worst case" scenarios. I had some success with:

cat /dev/hda1 | bzip2 >/winbak.bzip
bzcat /winbak.zip >/dev/hda1

But this puts a lot of stress on the hard drive. I would prefer to make the
backup directly to the tape (/dev/st0), but I dont know how. The "tar"
mans and info files didnt really help either. Can anyone help me?

(I know this kind of backup wouldnt be of much help when the HD is
killed completely, since it will only restore to the exact same /dev/hda1.
But I cannot think of another way for backing up the strange stuff Windows
does with links and absolute file positions...!?)

2. Hercules Terminator 2x/i AGP support?

3. /dev/st0 /dev/nst0

4. Is there a limit on no of IP interfaces

5. Closing /dev/st0 return EIO error, /dev/nst0 not

6. does it true about the assumption of "512 bytes per sector" ?

7. What is the difference between /dev/sg0, /dev/scd0 /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom ?

8. Clustered Computing Mailing List

9. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

10. aieee! Kernel panic using /dev/st0

11. problems with /dev/ht0

12. >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console

13. Did PerfectBackup+ ruin my /dev/ht0 tape setup?