US Robotics Sportster modem/x2 upgrade and Linux

US Robotics Sportster modem/x2 upgrade and Linux

Post by David Griffi » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: I've read some postings, indicating that others have
: had success with Linux and newly acquired x2 modems.
: It wasn't clear if these were x2 enabled because of
: software upgrades or not.

: My situation is that I have a 33.6k modem, and have
: purchased the upgrade, which has to be run in a DOS
: Windows environment. I have a RedHat Linux partition,
: and the OS on it, and want to know with some sense of
: security that I can upgrade in the DOS/Win partition,
: and not have this negatively affect the Linux install.
: Also, I'd like to know if the upgrade applies to the
: Linux OS.

Perhaps you're using some sort of Sportster with voice capabilities.  Some
of them are software upgradable.  The regular Sportsters (non-winmodem)
are upgraded by swapping a socketed chip.

--
David Griffith

Post by Timothy Lot » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> : I've read some postings, indicating that others have
> : had success with Linux and newly acquired x2 modems.
> : It wasn't clear if these were x2 enabled because of
> : software upgrades or not.

> : My situation is that I have a 33.6k modem, and have
> : purchased the upgrade, which has to be run in a DOS
> : Windows environment. I have a RedHat Linux partition,
> : and the OS on it, and want to know with some sense of
> : security that I can upgrade in the DOS/Win partition,
> : and not have this negatively affect the Linux install.
> : Also, I'd like to know if the upgrade applies to the
> : Linux OS.

> Perhaps you're using some sort of Sportster with voice capabilities.  Some
> of them are software upgradable.  The regular Sportsters (non-winmodem)
> are upgraded by swapping a socketed chip.

> --
> David Griffith

  Not quite true.  The old Sportster 28.8/33.6 kbps (pre-August 1996)
were upgraded with a socketed EPROM.  Some of the Sportster 33.6 kbps
modems from early in 1996 had soldered EPROMs on the modem card.
However, the NEW Sportster 33.6 kbps modems (NOT the USR winmodem!)
which have a ROM date 8/96 or later have FLASH ROMs.  These modems are
X2 upgradeable.  I own an older Sportster 28.8 kbps internal modem that
I upgraded to 33.6 kbps with an EPROM update.  It works great under
Linux, of course.

Timothy Lotz

1. ?Modem Dial In configuration for US robotics sportster modem

  I have configured my modem according to steps in
  "The Linux Serial HOWTO" by Greg Hankins.

 I have slackware distribution linux 1.2.8. and US robotics 14.4.
When I dial in to this modem I am able to log in but when I log off
it does not exit cleanly. I have a symbolic link to /dev/modem.

If anybody has a similar working configurations, I would appreciate if
I could get the details.

Thanks
Narendra Goyal

2. Mandrake linux: several months on.

3. Internal US Robotics X2 Modem help . . .

4. PPP problems

5. US Robotics 56k X2 FAX Modem external.

6. 5687-02 modem setup here

7. US Robotics 56K x2 modem ... lousy compressed file throughput

8. How to get stable ? (FreeBSD 2.2.2)

9. help... U.S. Robotics x2 internal modem...

10. Why my U.S. Robotics v.90/x2 external modem was too slow?

11. US Robotics x2 Modem Sweepstakes Links!

12. HP LaserJet 5L, US Robotics Sportster Modem

13. US Robotics MODEM Sportster 14.4 Internal