ISDN: 3Com/USR Courier I-Modem

Post by Mark Baint » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know if this works ok with linux?  Anyone using/have
experience with it?  (Esp w/the redhat distribution 5.0/5.1)

Post by Christopher B. Smit » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>> Does anyone know if this works ok with linux?  Anyone using/have
>> experience with it?  (Esp w/the redhat distribution 5.0/5.1)

>I've been using an iModem on Red Hat 5.0 for about two months now. I'm not
>impressed with the iModem:

>1) Does not get along well with Livingston PM3s.
>2) The STAC compression is broken, at least that's Livingston's story. At
any
>rate, no compression.
>3) I can get a bonded 128K connection, or so the LEDs tell me, but
throughput
>rarely exceeds 70 Kbps.

>I just installed a Hayes ESP this afternoon and throughput is perhaps one
or
>two points better. This is probably attributable to the fact that the ESP
is
>doing DMA instead of PIO.

>I will probably be retiring this iModem and replacing it with either a
>SpellCaster or a Zyxel external TA.

>I'm afraid I'm not very impressed with either USR or 3Com (after my Impact
IQ
>experience). Seems like they're becoming more like Microsoft everyday--lots
of
>promises, slick marketing, no tech support and a "sell 'em and forget 'em"
>attitude.

>That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

What about the internal version. Does this not work better?

--Chris

1. Linux Red Hat 5.2 and 3Com U.S. Robotics Courier I-modem ISDN and V.90

Has anyone managed to install and get working a "3Com U.S. Robotics
Courier I-modem ISDN and V.90 universal access to high-speed ISDN and
analog" - (I copied this from thier web page hence accuaracy of
description)

I am considering getting one.  They are available either PCI or ISA.

Any advice, much appreciated.

cw

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 6 of 6)

3. User ppp with USR Courier I-modem?

4. Problems with floppy disk devices

5. USR Courier I-Modem and Ascend Pipeline 50

6. Automatically rotate desktops in KDE???

7. Is USR Courier I-Modem Internal supported under Linux

8. 3Com509b not conecting to nework

9. USR Courier I-Modem problems

10. USR Courier I-modem internal/external??

11. 3Com Courier I-Modem

12. Help! Courier i-modem ISDN?

13. Courier I-Modem ISDN