Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000

Post by lkl; » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I wish someone would generate a wishlist to heat up the competion
between Linux & Win2000

One problem I notice is in the CD-RW.
Given that the price of CDRW is what a floppy used to be
only a few years ago, it would seem that it would make sense
if LInux can pick a certain brands and make then act like floppies,
without the need for extra software. In fact they should even skip
CDRWs and go right to DVD-RW  and make them act like floppies.
I can't see any reason why anyone should have to use
additional software & all teh annoyances taht go with it.

Post by Thomas Zaj » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I wish someone would generate a wishlist to heat up the competion
> between Linux & Win2000
> [ ... ]

Yeah, just what we need ... not.

Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
- Thomas Zajic  <thomasDOTzajicATtelewebDOTat>  Linux-2.0.38/slrn-0.9.5.7 -

Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Tzu, tzu, tzu!
Linux is doing much better. It goes directly into Hyperdrive the one
invented by Star-Trek writers about 10 years ago. It will use telepathy
so you dont have to buy the super-duper Flat-Screen.
And your present H/W --> scrap.
What you HAVE to have is the 1 meter high TuX (extra soft) to fulfill
all your computer fantasies.
As the S.u.S.E slogan goes " Have a lot of fun..."

Stanislaw.

Post by Joseph T. Adam » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

: One problem I notice is in the CD-RW.
: Given that the price of CDRW is what a floppy used to be
: only a few years ago, it would seem that it would make sense
: if LInux can pick a certain brands and make then act like floppies,
: without the need for extra software. In fact they should even skip
: CDRWs and go right to DVD-RW  and make them act like floppies.
: I can't see any reason why anyone should have to use
: additional software & all teh annoyances taht go with it.

My understanding is that there are significant differences between the
way FAT and ISO9660 filesystems work, which would make that fairly
difficult.

I don't know enough about filesystem design to know whether an
efficient and robust read-write FS *could* be designed for these sorts
of media, which, unfortunately, do not seem to have been designed with
random read/write access in mind.

I realize there is "packet-writing" software available for some
operating systems.  The few examples I've seen make me fairly
skeptical that it's a good idea.  They are slow, inefficient, wasteful
of space, unreliable, and produce CDs that can be read only on the
same brand drive (and in some instances the very same drive).  Whereas
these same drives can produce regular, reliable ISO9660 filesystems
when using track-at-a-time or disk-at-a-time modes.

Joe

Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000

Post by Jim Ros » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I wish someone would generate a wishlist to heat up the competion
> between Linux & Win2000

Linux
    KFM showing clear fonts as a web browser.  Oh javascript would be nice.
    Speed up KDE, dialogs too slow
    Stabile all the X stuff, speed it up.
    Easy support  for my scanner, ditto drives, cd-rw, etc
    Journaling filesystem included in RedHat 6.X
    Read/write support for NTFS in RedHat 6.X
    Working drag and drop between KDE and Gnome apps please....
    Mozilla finished
    A quicken port
    God dvd support
    Imap support from linux email clients
    Good gui pgp port like the windows version

Windows 2000
    Adopt gnu tools, bash terminal, etc
    Multithread the interface more (i.e. copy to directories to other places
at once)
    Run some linux apps with a wine like emulator
    Less bugs (yes that's a feature)
    Do away with drive letters, allow unix notation for partitions, etc.
    Less dll hell, much better default security
    Support for ext2 partitions
    Better info on memory usage
    Let me turn gui off

Just ignore the extra stuff like apps.  I got carried away.
Jim

Post by Reyk Fl?t » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>> I wish someone would generate a wishlist to heat up the competion
>> between Linux & Win2000

>Linux
[...]

Linux
        Standard OS
        Still free & licensed under GPL!!!
        Support for 3D-Environment

Quote:>Windows 2000
>    Adopt gnu tools, bash terminal, etc
>    Multithread the interface more (i.e. copy to directories to other places
>at once)
>    Run some linux apps with a wine like emulator
>    Less bugs (yes that's a feature)
>    Do away with drive letters, allow unix notation for partitions, etc.
>    Less dll hell, much better default security
>    Support for ext2 partitions
>    Better info on memory usage
>    Let me turn gui off

Windows 2000
        Windows? What's that?!

Quote:

>Just ignore the extra stuff like apps.  I got carried away.
>Jim

Reyk.

---speaking linux, not english

Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000

Post by Rob Rei » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

UNIX does have IMAP supporting email clients, like mutt (www.mutt.org) and
pine, IIRC.

For using pgp you're better off using mutt than a gui, but if you really need
one I'm sure you could find it on freshmeat.

Post by andrew_musgr.. » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > I wish someone would generate a wishlist to heat up the competion
> > between Linux & Win2000

> Linux
<snip>
>     God dvd support

I hear he's been notified.

-andrew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000

Post by Darren Winsp » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 02:00:51 -0500, Jim Ross

> Linux
>     KFM showing clear fonts as a web browser.  Oh javascript would be nice.

IIRC that's coming in KDE 2.

Quote:>     Speed up KDE, dialogs too slow

Hmm...I don't find KDE slow, but I imagine KDE 2 will be faster.

Quote:>     Stabile all the X stuff, speed it up.

XFree 4 will take care of that (You can try XFree 3.9.x now if you
want).

Quote:>     Easy support  for my scanner, ditto drives, cd-rw, etc

Well, improvements are being made on that front.

Quote:>     Journaling filesystem included in RedHat 6.X

It'll probably come with 6.2 since ReiserFS is out now.

Quote:>     Read/write support for NTFS in RedHat 6.X

Good point.

Quote:>     Working drag and drop between KDE and Gnome apps please....

Hopefully that'll happen with KDE 2 and GNOME 2, although considering
some of the rivalry...

Quote:>     Mozilla finished

Beta 1 is due next month (IIRC).

Quote:>     A quicken port

Everyone goes on about Quicken...

Quote:>     God dvd support

Well, the film industry don't seem to want that for you.  Still, I
could send you a copy of DeCSS if you want ;)

Quote:>     Imap support from linux email clients

Mozilla supports IMAP.

Quote:>     Good gui pgp port like the windows version

Would be nice.

Quote:> Windows 2000
>     Adopt gnu tools, bash terminal, etc

Would be nice.

Quote:>     Less bugs (yes that's a feature)

To be fair, Microsoft have made leaps and bounds in the quality of
their software.  Now, if Office wasn't so damn ugly...

Quote:>     Do away with drive letters, allow unix notation for partitions, etc.

Mount points are a feature in W2K, but drive letters are here to stay
for the forseeable future.

Quote:>     Support for ext2 partitions

Would be damn handy.

--
Darren Winsper - http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/darren.winsper
Stellar Legacy project member - http://www.stellarlegacy.tsx.org

"The Tuxomatic 2200(TM) with patented Gates-Be-Gone(TM) gets rid of blue
 screens in a flash! It forks! It blits! Look at those fantastic pixels!
 It surfs the web! You could even host an ISP with it!"
                                                -- Matthew Sachs on Slashdot

Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000

Post by Jim Ros » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > > I wish someone would generate a wishlist to heat up the competion
> > > between Linux & Win2000

> > Linux
> <snip>
> >     God dvd support

> I hear he's been notified.

> -andrew

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Maybe God can get DVD opened up to more platforms/
My bad, Jim

Post by Marc Childre » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>> I wish someone would generate a wishlist to heat up the competion
>> between Linux & Win2000

> Linux
>     KFM showing clear fonts as a web browser.  Oh javascript would be nice.
>     Speed up KDE, dialogs too slow
>     Stabile all the X stuff, speed it up.
>     Easy support  for my scanner, ditto drives, cd-rw, etc
>     Journaling filesystem included in RedHat 6.X
>     Read/write support for NTFS in RedHat 6.X
>     Working drag and drop between KDE and Gnome apps please....
>     Mozilla finished
>     A quicken port
>     God dvd support
>     Imap support from linux email clients
>     Good gui pgp port like the windows version

> Windows 2000

An su command!

Quote:>     Adopt gnu tools, bash terminal, etc

Post by Mark Bratche » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 02:00:51 -0500, Jim Ross

> [snip]

> >     A quicken port

> Everyone goes on about Quicken...

[snip]

That's because alot of people use it, or something like it, at home.

Linux is a wonderful, stable OS. But I keep having to go back to Windoze
for Quicken, scanning, and decent photo color printing on a
non-postscript printer.

Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000

Post by Thomas Zaj » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > [ wiwshlist ]

> > Windows 2000

> An su command!

Why, is there anything you _can't_ break as a normal user? ;-)

Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
- Thomas Zajic  <thomasDOTzajicATtelewebDOTat>  Linux-2.0.38/slrn-0.9.5.7 -
-  "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw."  (M. C.)  -
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000

Post by Supratim Sanya » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Linux is a wonderful, stable OS. But I keep having to go back to Windoze
> for Quicken, scanning, and decent photo color printing on a
> non-postscript printer.

dunno about scanning and quicken, but xv + ghostscript do a far better
job
of printing a color picture as greyscale on my Epson
ActionPrinter 5000 Esc/P2 DMP than Win'95+Graphics Workshop.

Post by Andres Tarri » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > I wish someone would generate a wishlist to heat up the competion
> > between Linux & Win2000

> Linux
>     KFM showing clear fonts as a web browser.  Oh javascript would be nice.
>     Speed up KDE, dialogs too slow
>     Stabile all the X stuff, speed it up.
>     Easy support  for my scanner, ditto drives, cd-rw, etc
>     Journaling filesystem included in RedHat 6.X
>     Read/write support for NTFS in RedHat 6.X
>     Working drag and drop between KDE and Gnome apps please....
>     Mozilla finished
>     A quicken port
>     God dvd support
>     Imap support from linux email clients

I think this one is already done.

Quote:>     Good gui pgp port like the windows version

> Windows 2000
>     Adopt gnu tools, bash terminal, etc
>     Multithread the interface more (i.e. copy to directories to other places
> at once)
>     Run some linux apps with a wine like emulator
>     Less bugs (yes that's a feature)
>     Do away with drive letters, allow unix notation for partitions, etc.
>     Less dll hell, much better default security
>     Support for ext2 partitions
>     Better info on memory usage
>     Let me turn gui off

> Just ignore the extra stuff like apps.  I got carried away.
> Jim

If windows didn't crash all the time, my life would be a lot easier. :)

--

                                Chalito