DHCP not working in kernel 2.2.x, was OK in 2.0.36

DHCP not working in kernel 2.2.x, was OK in 2.0.36

Post by Mark Bratche » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

WHen I upgraded my Linux kernel to 2.2.x from 2.0.36 my DHCP stopped
working.

My PC recognizes the network card, and it works if I set a fixed IP for
my workstation. But when I try to connect via DHCP, it fails. During
boot, the initialization of eth0 service fails.

The initialization of the service is a call to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup. I tried running it by hand and
watching what's going on, but I can't spot any obvious clues. It fails
on the call to 'pump'.

Any help appreciated.

Mark

DHCP not working in kernel 2.2.x, was OK in 2.0.36

Post by The Bar » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi All,

>WHen I upgraded my Linux kernel to 2.2.x from 2.0.36 my DHCP stopped
>working.

>My PC recognizes the network card, and it works if I set a fixed IP for
>my workstation. But when I try to connect via DHCP, it fails. During
>boot, the initialization of eth0 service fails.

>The initialization of the service is a call to
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup. I tried running it by hand and
>watching what's going on, but I can't spot any obvious clues. It fails
>on the call to 'pump'.

>Any help appreciated.

>Mark

Make sure that in linuxconf, the correct module is being loaded by
eth0...

Post by Mark Bratche » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> >Hi All,

> >WHen I upgraded my Linux kernel to 2.2.x from 2.0.36 my DHCP stopped
> >working.

> >My PC recognizes the network card, and it works if I set a fixed IP for
> >my workstation. But when I try to connect via DHCP, it fails. During
> >boot, the initialization of eth0 service fails.

> >The initialization of the service is a call to
> >/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup. I tried running it by hand and
> >watching what's going on, but I can't spot any obvious clues. It fails
> >on the call to 'pump'.

> >Any help appreciated.

> >Mark
> Make sure that in linuxconf, the correct module is being loaded by
> eth0...

It is loading the right module. With no other changes, I can get it to
work with fixed IP.

One added piece of info: I did a debug log on /sbin/pump and the failure
message is:

  reject: id: 0xNNNNNNNN <--> 0xMMMMMMMM

Where N and M are two different hex numbers. There's a meaning here
somewhere, but I
don't know what it is.

Mark

DHCP not working in kernel 2.2.x, was OK in 2.0.36

Post by Mark Bratche » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

OK, I fixed the problem.

I replaced /sbin/pump in the ifup script with dhcpcp and the network
came right up.

I've read that pump has some problems in Redhat 6.x distributions, which
prompted me to try this.

Seems like an onerous problem in the RedHat distribution...

Mark

> >Hi All,

> >WHen I upgraded my Linux kernel to 2.2.x from 2.0.36 my DHCP stopped
> >working.

> >My PC recognizes the network card, and it works if I set a fixed IP for
> >my workstation. But when I try to connect via DHCP, it fails. During
> >boot, the initialization of eth0 service fails.

> >The initialization of the service is a call to
> >/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup. I tried running it by hand and
> >watching what's going on, but I can't spot any obvious clues. It fails
> >on the call to 'pump'.

> >Any help appreciated.

> >Mark
> Make sure that in linuxconf, the correct module is being loaded by
> eth0...

1. IDE card crashes kernel 2.2.x not 2.0.36

I've got some weird vlb cached IDE controller (don't even know the
brand)
When I trie to boot Linux, of a hd attached to it, or even try to use
the SuSe 6.1 bootdisk, the kernel crashes at the moment it tries to
do the partition check: PTBL: [512/64/63] <1 Oops kernel null pointer
dereference ....

This only occurs when using a 2.2.5 kernel, it works fine with
2.0.36.

I'm sorry I haven't got a complete Oops trace (don't know how)

I've tried several boot configurations/kernel configurations/ide-card
different config(has got a BIOS)

It works fine with a standard ISA ide controller but goes all weird
with the cached ide one.

I hope someone knows more about this ...

System:
        AMD 486 dx2/66
        Soyo 025E mboard (SIS 461 chipset AMI bios)
        Connor 1 GB HD
        SuSe 6.1

2. gdb problem

3. Upgraded to RH 5.2 Kernel is 2.0.36 not 2.2.x???

4. can I do TCP/IP and PPP at the same time?

5. from kernel 2.0.36 -> kernel 2.2.x

6. Quicktime streaming server for Linuxppc

7. Plug-ins not not seen by Gimp

8. Athlon 64 recommendations

9. problem with Tulip card and 2.2.x (NOT 2.0.36!)

10. Permanent ARP attribute cancellation in 2.0.36 but not in 2.2

11. Kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.X

12. Apache 1.3.6 Perfomance w/ Linux kernel 2.0.36 vs 2.2.x

13. Kernel 2.2 on top of 2.0.36 installations