430 hx and *ODD* Problems

Post by Victor Orlikowsk » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

 Alright folks, I went cheap on this one....
I bought a Directwave system, with a TR-4 MB, which supposedly has a 430 hx chipset.
I have an OPTI 82C930 soundcard, and a trio 64 (Diamond Stealth 64) video card.
I have a quantum sirocco 1700a hd, 48 meg o' ram, and a P166, running kernel 2.0.25, and rh 4.0.
Here's the symptoms:

1. Whenever I try to compile triton support into my kernel, the machine crashes unpredictably in X.
2. Even without triton support in the kernel, when I try to play a sound in X, and it does not have
anything to do with the cdrom, that is, I try to play an .au, or a wav, the machine locks up tighter than a drum.
3. The Trio 64 complains of not being able to use its linear framebuffer, and when there is triton support, even
when I make sure that dma is enabled with hdparm, it still gives dma disabled messages on /var/log/messages.
4. I used rh 2.1 before this, with kernel 1.3.20, and it was stable, but slow without pci support, or triton, and
it wasn't as nice without sound.
5. If I try to play a sound in a terminal, there is no problem unless I switch to X in the middle.
6. No problems otherwise. If I don't touch triton, and avoid the .au and wav files like the plague in x, then I
never have a problem at all, and am rock solid.

A friend (Simon Karpen, among the first 20,000 linux users in the US) suggested that it is a dma fault in my
motherboard. However, Win 95 (so shoot me, I don't care) has no problem with my triton or the dma, or the sound. I
just want a second opinion before I decide to wrestle over warranty work with Directwave (the manufacturer), or go
out and buy a new motherboard. Tell me what you all think, and tell me if there's an easy fix.

Thanks in advance,

Vic
--

430 hx and *ODD* Problems

Post by Brian Rus » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Yes, yes, I know they always go down and I'll pay more for any
system than I would a few months later.

I just want to know if anyone who actually follows the market knows
whether one of those particularly large price drops will happen
after the holidays.

I'm about to buy a whole new system. If I wait because prices are
about to go down, then I'll never buy anything, but I'd wait a
while if a particularly big price drop was coming.

        Brian

430 hx and *ODD* Problems

Post by James Roger » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Yes, yes, I know they always go down and I'll pay more for any
> system than I would a few months later.

> I just want to know if anyone who actually follows the market knows
> whether one of those particularly large price drops will happen
> after the holidays.

> I'm about to buy a whole new system. If I wait because prices are
> about to go down, then I'll never buy anything, but I'd wait a
> while if a particularly big price drop was coming.

Intel has scheduled a fairly steep price cut (20-30%) on its chips for
February 1st.

-James Rogers

430 hx and *ODD* Problems

Post by G. de Freita » Tue, 24 Dec 1996 04:00:00

AFAIK, Intel's MMX Chip due to be released Jan'97 will, I hope, bring
ALL OTHER PC prices crashing through the floor.
IMHO: DON'T BUY NOW!

...unless you're a real sucker for Marketing Hype ;-)

REF:
<http://www.chipanalyst.com/report/articles/mmx/mmx.html>

> Yes, yes, I know they always go down and I'll pay more for any
> system than I would a few months later.

> I just want to know if anyone who actually follows the market knows
> whether one of those particularly large price drops will happen
> after the holidays.

> I'm about to buy a whole new system. If I wait because prices are
> about to go down, then I'll never buy anything, but I'd wait a
> while if a particularly big price drop was coming.

>         Brian

430 hx and *ODD* Problems

Post by Mark Lehre » Tue, 24 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> > I'm about to buy a whole new system. If I wait because prices are
> > about to go down, then I'll never buy anything, but I'd wait a
> > while if a particularly big price drop was coming.

In my experience, the big drop is late summer through fall; certainly
that is how it went in '96.

For CPU's, I heard that AMD's K6 is the ultimate; and Intel MMX has
very poor performance on multitasking systems.  FWIW!!

I am so happy with my P120; I have no need whatsoever to upgrade.
I have plenty of QuakeStones  8^)

Mark

430 hx and *ODD* Problems

Post by bill davids » Tue, 24 Dec 1996 04:00:00

| I just want to know if anyone who actually follows the market knows
| whether one of those particularly large price drops will happen
| after the holidays.
|
| I'm about to buy a whole new system. If I wait because prices are
| about to go down, then I'll never buy anything, but I'd wait a
| while if a particularly big price drop was coming.

I would expect the price of fast Pentium and PPro systems to drop a
few hundred between now and April. The MMX chip is coming, Intel is
supposed to drop prices, and the holiday buying frenzy will be over,
letting the channel fill again.
--

  What do you mean I shouldn't do thing like that at my age?
  At my age if you don't do things like that you might die of natural causes!

1. 430 HX and erratic lockups....

Alrighty ladies and gents,
Turns out that I went bargain basement and got a Directwave system....
It has a TR4 Motherboard, which claims to have a Triton II chipset, 430 HX no less,
but I get the most random lockups when I compile in any kind of Triton support.
I have an OPTI 82C930 sound card, and It locks up the system when used in conjunction with X, whenever a sound is played in x, outside of the cd-rom. The video card is a trio 64, diamond Stealth 64.
The disk is a Quantum sirocco 1700a, and I run RH 4.0.
I ran RH 2.1 before it without a glitch, but it was without sound or triton, or pci support.
I am currently running kernel 2.0.25.
Any ideas as to what may cause it. I've had dma faults in the mb suggested, but I want a second, or more opinion.
Thanks,
vic

--

2. rpm package installing problem

3. X-windows problem on Toshiba 430 CDT

4. DOOM problems. Please help me?????

5. 3.4R+PAO APM problems on Toshiba 430

6. Getting the socket from Apache

7. known problems? cyrix p166+ on asus p55t2p4 with intel-hx 430

8. Matrox AGP 450 on XFree86

9. configurung XFree86 display on a Toshiba 430 CDT

10. Intel 430 TX-Chipset

11. Canon LBP-430 Laser Printer

12. Which OS for Targon 430 ?

13. HP DesignJet 430