Compact Flash with PCMCIA Adapter...

Post by Jon Winter » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I've added a PCMCIA bay to my desktop machine running RedHat Linux 6.0.

I'm trying to read a Compact Flash card from my digital camera using a
PCMCIA adapter.

When I insert the card into the bay it beeps twice but I do not know the
command to mount the card.

Any help is appriciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
Jon Winters // NBORG
      http://www.newbug.org/

Compact Flash with PCMCIA Adapter...

Post by Jon Winter » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

> it should see your pcmcia reader as a "drive" on your machine
> go to file mgr and see if it exists there
> andy

It won't appear as a drive until its _mounted_ and that is where I'm
having trouble.

If you've got it working correctly please post details so I can
duplicate your setup.

Thanks

Jon Winters

--
Jon Winters // NBORG
      http://www.newbug.org/

Compact Flash with PCMCIA Adapter...

Post by Jon Winter » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

> >Hello,

> >I've added a PCMCIA bay to my desktop machine running RedHat Linux 6.0.

> >I'm trying to read a Compact Flash card from my digital camera using a
> >PCMCIA adapter.

> >When I insert the card into the bay it beeps twice but I do not know the
> >command to mount the card.

> Try booting the machine with the card in the slot.  Then look at the
> boot messages (/var/log/messages, I think), where PCMCIA card services
> gets started.  You should see a device probe message saying something
> like "/dev/hde, 45 megabytes".  Then you should be able to su to root
> and say something like
>    mount -t msdos /dev/hde /mnt
> to put the flash card on /mnt (assuming /dev/hde is the right device).

I would like to thank you Paul.

You've solved my problem, got it mounted!

Quote:> I don't know how well Card Services handles the case when you put the
> card in while the system is running instead of before you boot.  I'm
> afraid this is one area where Linux isn't so strong.

Hmm... still looking into that. Things got funky after ejecting the card
and re-inserting it.

Thanks again for your help!
--
Jon Winters // NBORG
      http://www.newbug.org/

Post by a bolge » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

it should see your pcmcia reader as a "drive" on your machine
go to file mgr and see if it exists there
andy

> Hello,

> I've added a PCMCIA bay to my desktop machine running RedHat Linux 6.0.

> I'm trying to read a Compact Flash card from my digital camera using a
> PCMCIA adapter.

> When I insert the card into the bay it beeps twice but I do not know the
> command to mount the card.

> Any help is appriciated.

> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Jon Winters // NBORG
>       http://www.newbug.org/

Compact Flash with PCMCIA Adapter...

Quote:>Hello,

Post by Jon Winter » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > I don't know how well Card Services handles the case when you put the
> > card in while the system is running instead of before you boot.  I'm
> > afraid this is one area where Linux isn't so strong.

> Hmm... still looking into that. Things got funky after ejecting the card
> and re-inserting it.

I'm able to eject the card and re-insert it without problem as long as I
unmount it before ejecting.

Now I've got to figure out how to make it auto mount when inserted, or
change it so any user can mount and eject.  Gnome comes with a nice
little  'mount/unmount' applet for the panel.  It even shows the status.
--
Jon Winters // NBORG
      http://www.newbug.org/

1. Mount Compact Flash with PCMCIA Adapter.....

I have a Viking Components Compact Flash adapter and a Viking 32 MB Compact
Flash card.  I am trying to mount it under Linux so that I can copy and view
pictures that I take with my digital camera.  I connect it to my Toshiba
Tecra 730XCDT, which also has a Linksys Ethernet card connected through the
PCMCIA slots.  The Ethernet works fine, but I am unable to figure out how to
mount the Compact Flash card.  I am using Red Hat 6.0 on this system.  I
need to be able to access my pictures on this machine, if I cannot figure
this out I will have to put Windows back on this machine.  Can this be done
in Linux?

-Brad Kuhl

2. X server keeps growing

3. IDE Booting from Flash - Positive report: Adton PCMCIA Card Drive - PCMCIA vs. Compact Flash

4. Apache Logs DNS Root server IP Addresses only

5. Need Help-- DataChute PCI PCMCIA adaptor and compact flash

6. mount an ADAPTEC 2940 SCSI tape

7. Problems with PCMCIA Compact Flash adapter in 2.5.72

8. Two Linux boxes via slip

9. Compact Flash card with pcmcia adaptor

10. Need Help-- DataChute PCI PCMCIA adaptor and compact flash

11. Compact flash to PC-card adapter, are they all Linux friendly ?

12. Compact Flash in an IDE adaptor freezes at partition check SOLUTION

13. Compact Flash USB adapter How to ?