Help on Linux...

Post by R.D'Amic » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I got a cd writer H.Packard 9200i (Scsi) and I wonder if this device will be
suported by Linux, also if they are any software to use be able to write
cd..also direct cd write...

Thanks in Advance

RD

Help on Linux...

Post by codifex maximu » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I got a cd writer H.Packard 9200i (Scsi) and I wonder if this device will be
> suported by Linux, also if they are any software to use be able to write
> cd..also direct cd write...

> Thanks in Advance

> RD

Not sure if this particular model is supported... haven't checked.  But,
you can go to freshmeat.net and get many different cd recording
packages... cdroast being one.

There should also be some HOWTO's available at the Linux Documentation
Project.
Good places to check for linux information:
google.com
deja.com
linux.com
irc.linux.com #linuxhelp
--

Codifex Maximus
I'm the rat that jumped out of the maze.

Help on Linux...

Post by Joshua Baker-LePai » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I got a cd writer H.Packard 9200i (Scsi) and I wonder if this device will be
> suported by Linux, also if they are any software to use be able to write
> cd..also direct cd write...

All the newer SCSI burners use a standard command set (MMC-3, IIRC),
and are thus supported.  For data, mkisofs and cdrecord work very well
from the command line.  xcdroast is an X front end to these (and
a few other) utilities that works nicely.  For mp3s, I use mpg123 to
create wavs and burn those with cdrecord.

There are other utilities, too.  freshmeat.net is the best place
to find all this stuff.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering